Yet another nice looking HF-81 on ebay

Tom Mobley

Obviously it's up to individual choice how much one wants to spend on an amp, speaker etc. But if you really want to get a certain piece of gear, you simply cannot escape supply and demand. So either you pay what's being asked, or you simply(?) take it off your mind. Now doing this is often easier said than done Biggrin.gif.

To compare prices of the past to current prices strikes me not really as a valid argument (see dougdrake's post).

What's more, go into an audio shop and try to get some decent quality for let's say $600. This is something which I find impossible. So getting such an EICO is the attempt to find some good (hopefully better than that LOL) piece of equipment for -compared to current prices within the audio scene- an affordable sum of money. And compared to a Marantz 8B or some tube Mc amps these EICOS are still affordable.

Sorry, but I had to comment.

Wolfram

------------------

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp (utilizing 300B tubes)

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Yamaha CDR-HD 1000 CD Recorder

Alternative amps:

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tim,

Yep,it's me.I got your email forwarded to me about a month ago,but AOL in Europe dropped it off my received mails before I could respond.

I'm still working in Germany,and a friend told me about a pair of LaScala's in San Antonio for sale,which is how I saw you here.I haven't been following HF81 prices closely until I looked at this forum,but it doesn't surprise me that they've risen as much as they have.

I paid 700.00 for my HK Citation II about 6 months ago,and it now looks like a genuine steal.As you've expressed,all this equipment reflects performance vs. supply.We may not like the price increases,but the market will trend upward until modern alternative equipment is price and performance comparable.I still don't know of a modern tube integrated amp with a superior phono section included for $600.00.

Best,

Pat

Well it is officially time to put my 81 on ebay. With these prices I can't pass up a 100-200% profit. I got lucky a few months back when someone actually had a "buy it now" price of $200 on theirs. If I can get $500 or more I don't see a point in keeping it. I love the sound but I would be a fool not to take advantage of this market. There will always be more in the future to choose from.

------------------

Eico HF-81

1975 Walnut Klipschorns

I'd put them up one at a time and not two at one time.

Maybe you indeed mail me? Maybe not. Your profile states your a student. Think twice possibly before getting it up on Ebay. Indeed it may go for 3x what you paid but you when your more able to support your surroundings may regret ever doing so???

BJ

Supply and demand is the best working market, but it does have its quirks. It is funny, how given a great review, an item's demand can increase. If supply is low, the price goes up. I can understand how someone who bought an HF81 for $100 or less can really feel they got a steal when they hook it up and it sounds great. But once word gets out, price will shoot up. I feel lucky to have gotten my 222D for $150. I have yet to hear it, but based on what everyone here says, I'll be junking my Adcom once I hear the Scott. Now I wonder how Scott and Fisher prices will fare in the coming months, as more of us get these oldies and do indeed find magic in their musical sound.

BTW, I did get cold feet as to working on my amp and will send it out to Craig. I could replace caps and resistors, but I don't have a signal generator or scope which, if a mistake is made, would be invaluable. I also don't want to mess with the electrolytics, so to those who asked how easy is it to do these things, it's easy if you have the tools and knowledge. If not, send it out!

Another nice thing about the vintage amps is that at these prices, more can afford to actually buy one, fix it up, buy another- just to compare, fix it up, keep it, and so on. Try that with Jolida, Conrad Johnson, etc. You would need to win the Lotto!

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Hey Pat,

Glad your alive and kicking. Just so everyone knows, Pat is the fine gentleman that sold me his EICO HF-81. He did the restoration on the unit and did a fantastic job of it too.

Here is my web page for my EICO, inspired by Mobile Homeless and how blown away I was with the sound. Photos taken before the output tube coupling caps were replaced with Auricaps.

http://home.attbi.com/~tbabb/eico.html

Pat I didn't realize you were working out of the country. I was beginning to wonder what happened to you? Have you found any good stashes of Telefunkens over there?

Good luck with your LaScalas... You still have your HE speakers?

- tb

------------------

Two Channel

Source: Rega Planet

EICO HF-81 Vintage Integrated

AES -> Wright 2A3 SET

Speaker(s) - Klipsch RB-5 II

Klipsch Kg4s

Bedroom Setup :

Tube Headphone AMP - Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL ( 5751 -> EL-84 )

HeadPhones - Sennheiser HD-600

Home Theater

Toshiba 57HX81

Yamaha 5790

Panasonic RP-91 DVD

Toshiba DST-3000

Klipsch Kg4 Fronts/Klipsch Klisch Academy Center/Klipsch Klipsch kg2 Rears

f>

c>

s>

Andy, I got my first 299 a couple of months ago for $110 and had Ryan Inman restore it for me. Three days ago I got another 299 (B this time which has better tubes and wood case) and I am buying a restoration kit from Ryan to replace the coupling capacitors and the selenium rectifier myself. I better learn how to restore and look after my amps as I intend to buy a 299 C or D as well (not right away of course, but the way prices are increasing I may not be able to afford it Smile.gif).

I am using my 299 with a Marantz 6200 TT and I can't describe how good my setup sounds (to me). BTW, can anybody recommend a cartridge. I've heard good things about Grado Black ($40). I've also seen Shure V15-IV HE for around $65. Any other suggestions?

kudret

This message has been edited by Kudret on 09-15-2002 at 08:28 PM

Hey Kudret, sounds like you got a nice deal. It's funny, even now as my 222D is not even started, I am contemplating eventually getting a 299D. After all, it's 20 wpc vs 34 wpc, a bit more headroom. But where does it end? There are always Fishers too! Then Eicos, etc. That's a lot of room heaters! But I too would like to gain the experience of restoration myself eventually, and that may be the next amp, who knows! I do need to get a better CD player, so perhaps that should be next...

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Well, the Grado still is one of the best entry-level catridges around...but they can hum or flutter in some applications. I have a handful of entry-level Grados I picked up for a song years ago and they do well on some tables and poorly on others. IF getting serious about vinyl, there are other options but most cost more ducats. You have to try them in your own system to make sure.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Hi Tim,

Yes,I've still got my HE10.1 Adires,with a Maelstrom sub.A very good setup with my latest Roitberg 300b amp(a 30's WE clone).

It's weird to see you have to defend an HF81 vs.a Scott 299A/B.As you and I discussed about a year ago,the differences are purely subjective and they both sound great.

I think the Scotts are more heavily"voiced",in a way I find brilliant.The Eico is "purer"in an SET sort of way.It's a more difficult amp to get quiet(goofy grounding scheme),but once you do,it's cleaner than a Scott 299a,or 299b.

Having owned two 299a's,three 299b's,one 299c,and an EF81,all rebuilt with a variety of plain vs.designer parts,I'm not guessing about the differences in sound between these amps.Further,I don't have any more loyalty to either brand than I would a Waring blender.Anyone who proclaims the superiority of one over the other is full of crap.They simply haven't actually compared the two,and are pledging allegiance to the brand they own.

Best,

Pat

I have yet to hear an Eico HF-81 but want to very badly. I refuse, however, to pay the prices these are currently going for on eBay. I will stick with my Scott 299, which Craig tweaked for me and enjoy it for as long as I have it.

I would be curious to know if the phono section in the Eico is as good as the one in the Scott? As I have mentioned previously, my vinyl sounds so good at the moment with the Scott/Dual CS-5000/Shure V15V-MR. Much better than the AES PH-1 phono stage with NOS tubes I was using before in a line stage. Suffice it to say, I sold the PH-1...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Kudret,

Try a SHURE M97xE HI-FI PHONO CARTRIDGE it can be had at parts Express for 95.60 nice entry level audiophile cartridge.

Mobile,

Your right Grado's do have a nice sound but none the less they are prown to hum by design and why I will not recomend them. I used 2 of them on 4 different Mid Fi Turn Tables and they hummed on all of them. They hum the least on my Dual CS 504 but still produced hum at elavated volumes annoying as hell.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-16-2002 at 04:54 PM

Pat,

Heh, I don't recall "defending" the EICO in a Scott vs. Eico debate. I've never heard a Scott so it would be ridiculous for me to take that kind of stand.

You may have interpreted my razzing of NOS440 (Craig) a little bit as he is a well known Scott aficionado. He made a valiant attempt at restoring a basket case EICO to hear the two units side-by-side for himself. It was a lost cause though as the original builder had their own ideas of how to wire one.

It's think it's great that a Scotts are as good as the Eico. Since the EICOs are so hard to find in great shape, perhaps other BB members will just get Scotts instead.

- tb

I hope so. I myself am tired of hearing the Scott vs EICO debate. Both are excellent units, although I do agree with Pat on his first comments regarding the HF-81 in that is is the closest to SET sound of any of the integrateds I have heard, with an naturalness that belies its modest nature, but I have ONLY heard a Scott 222c in that line to compare and I thought it was a damn nice amp as well. Yeah, I ultimately preferred the EICO, but still, how can you really go wrong with either make if in good condition? As I have said countless times, a good condition model of either would be a GREAT amp, easily outclassing many modern counterparts.

I dont think you need $200 of parts to make them up to par, which I believe Pat suggested as a ballpark figure. While this might be a total overhaul, you can get by with less. But a gaggle of Auricaps or something of equivalent value will add up. A cheaper alternative is the 716p; are the Auricaps or comparable alternative better? Many think so. Still, some would not notice much difference.

At least some of these vintage amps are getting saved and appreciated by users all over, many who would be shopping at Best Buy if not for this alternative.

kh

Mobile is correct and $200 in small parts is way over the mark. Even if you bought $8 a piece Coupling caps it would still be under $125 in parts to restore. The only thing that could drive it near $200 on a Scott would be if you opt to replace all the Multi section Lytics which is almost never required. The EICO only has one above chassis Multi Can so there is no way it would come close to $200. Unless he meant tubes too then were in another Ballpark all together.

Craig

Oh by the way I snagged myself another EICO HF-81 fire trap to try and resurrect but this time it is in descent cosmetic shape and the wiring is done much better than my last adventure. Once again I figure its a no lose situation like before. This one I think I can fix for sure. I may need to source a Main power tranformer for it though.

Yes Kelly I bought it off the guy LOL ! I swear I won't come in here bitching and moaning about I promise Smile.gif

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-16-2002 at 08:40 PM

CRAIG! What are you doing!? Heh... Lordy, I cannot believe you bought that junk-O-rama! Man, that was the worst HF-81 I have ever seen, bar none - We BOTH agreed on it! We even cackled a bit! I'll take you up on that offer not to discuss it... heh. I'll say you'll need a power trans right off the bat. And the look of that right Output is not too awe inspiring either. But you HAVE to love the NOS rectifiers! If you can even get sound out of that, you are accomplishing something.

81.jpg

I will say one thing. I doubt you paid $50, let alone $600! In that way, you scored. I never thought this beast would see the light at the end of a tunnel... besides a train.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-17-2002 at 06:36 AM