Yet another nice looking HF-81 on ebay

Tom Mobley

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom -

At $600 + a pop for a good one, that's pretty good motivation. Do I ever feel lucky I got mine when I did. Mine was a steal at $350.

Hopefully some BB member will get it.

- tb

------------------

Two Channel System(s)

CD Player - Original Rega Planet

EICO HF-81

Speaker(s) - Klipsch RB-5 II

Kg4s

Tube Headphone AMP - ASL MG Head OTL ( 5751 -> EL-84 )

HeadPhones - Sennheiser HD-600 & Sennheiser HD-580

Home Theater

Toshiba 57HX81,

Yamaha 5790

Panasonic RP-91 DVD

Toshiba DST-3000

Klipsch kg4 Fronts/Klipsch Academy Center/Klipsch kg2 Rears

f>

c>

s>

I've read in a few places that to find the current "equivalent price" of something from long ago, just double the cost for every ten years. So what did these things go for back in the day - $80? If it was $50, then after 40 years it would have a current price equivalent of $800. Now, I know that's not totally accurate, and there are extenuating circumstances and so forth, but perhaps there is some merit to it...

DD

------------------

My System

I hate to even join in on this subject but I just can't hold back Smile.gif There is no way in hell that I would pay $600 for one that was factory wired and put in a time capsule since it left the factory assembly line !! They may sound great but there is no way they can possibly sound 3 times better than any of the other amps of the same era that cost 3 times as much as the HF-81. It just isn't possible or probable for that matter !!

I just spent the last 4 hours listening to Danocasters Scott 299 with 5 audiophile 1/2 speed master LP's I picked up today the sound was nothing short of breath taking. My lascala's were pumping out 100+ db music for hours. I can't believe how good these records sound with the 299 Phono section simply incredible !!

I bet this HF-81 goes for 500+ also what's everyone else guess ?

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-14-2002 at 10:04 PM

Worth really adds up to suppy and demand and what people are willing to pay for it. While the final sound quality output may not warrant those hefty prices, getting a clean and workable unit might just be the reason?

NOS440 - It's no surprise that you would not pay what others would for the EICO and why would you, your perfectly happy with the Scotts. You know them inside and out and know exactly what it takes to take one from junk status to magical

deang - I'd have to agree with you. While $600 is peanuts compared with some current system, it seems a lot for a 1959 vintage piece. I can understand an unbuilt one going for top dollar, I myself would not pay that kind of money if it still needed work after the fact.

I did compare my Eico to a couple other current intergrated amps in and out of my price range, and I liked the EICO the best. Manley Stingray and Jolida 302b are what I auditioned.

One of these days I'd like to get my hands on a primo Scott 299 and have a good listen to it. Craig - I'm actually surprised that you would even rate the EICO at $500, I guess your value of the EICO is going up then?

cwm1.gif

- tb

I think the demand/price for the highly hyped EICO amp would drop if there was more information posted on better alternatives for a similar price. There seems to be a lot of interest in moving to tubes based on all the advice on this board but I'm not sure what the options are less than or equal to $600 other than the <$200 build-it yourself amp kit that looks like an EE101 lab project on a piece of scrap wood.

Fini now that was hilarous Smile.gifSmile.gif

Tim,

reread my post carefully and you see it hasn't went up that much. Keep in mind that your unit was in basically comeplete;y restored state and well worth what you paid. The one that just sold for 540 was from what I could see bone stock and surely will need some updating.

DocJ,

I have no problem with what you paid if you don't. If you have the money and want it buy it. What's money for after all. I have the money I'm just not willing to pay it for that unit. I wouldn;t pay that much for a prestine Scott either !!!

Craig

Hi,

The HF81 phenom ought to settle down a bit now that prices are so high.To get one right,you still have to replace electrolytics,coupling caps,etc,and hope the pots and sockets are ok.

Having said this,I believe that a well tuned HF81 is the "idiot savant"of EL84 based integrateds.Looking at the parts quality just doesn't prepare you for how good one of these sounds,particularly with Lowther,Klipsch HE speakers.Almost SET ,but with punch and much more LF energy.I haven't heard any new amp at the 600.00 price point that compares at this power level.As far as the Scott 299/HF81 debate,either will knock your socks off compared to ANY sub $1k integrated.Just remember that the nicest original example of either amp still requires about 200.00 minimum to get it up to speed.Buy accordingly.

If you point a gun at me to choose a Scott 299,I like the second series 299a,which has the chassis topography of a 299b.Sounds a little less aggressive,but with Auricaps and good driver tubes,a real keeper.

BTW,if any of you wants a sleeper,buy an Eico ST70,and perform the loudness switch mod(about 10.00 in parts).Try not to do handsprings down the street after you listen to it,and don't tell anyone else,to keep prices down.My 2cents.

Best,

Pat

Craig, I know what your saying. I would of liked to of paid less but through Ebay, sometimes to have the particular example one wants, one unfortunately must payFrown.gif I'm still getting a couple of emails of people saying they have an HF for sale and if I'm interested.

Started my basic electronic reading last night.

Have a couple dead old clunker SS radios that I'll carefully pull some electrolytics/resistors and mess with the meters.

Where is MH?

Bryan/IshmaelSmile.gif

Jolly,

Its fairly easy to work on them but you need to have soldering skills and test equipment most people send them to techs to be done. It all depends on your handyman skill level and what your time is worth. I rebuild them for alot of the mambers or will help you DIY.

Craig