Eliptrac 400 / K55 driver with a 3.5 watt tube amp

Sid K

I've only had the k55 attached to the k400 horn, using 2A3 amps. These were in a pair of '89 LaScalas. The mids were pulled down a little, for what seemed to me a better tonal balance. I don't listen very loud, 90db is getting up there. It was a magical combination. I never took measurements, but my ears were quite satisfied with the sound.

btw, welcome to the forums.

Bruce

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

I've only had the k55 attached to the k400 horn, using 2A3 amps. These were in a pair of '89 LaScalas. The mids were pulled down a little, for what seemed to me a better tonal balance. I don't listen very loud, 90db is getting up there. It was a magical combination. I never took measurements, but my ears were quite satisfied with the sound.

btw, welcome to the forums.

Bruce

I don't listen to high levels either, if I do its not for very long, 10-15min max.

I currently have a 10 watt tube amp possibly changing to a 3.5 watt Triode Lab amp specifically for horn loaded speakers.

When I got my first tube amp /preamp I almost fell over the sound was incredibly better.

I have Khorns 1978.

I'm just a simple guy who likes to listen to my music.

I don't do tests.  

If my ears like it it must be good, right.

But I never did like the harsh original sound from the Khorns so I have decided to try and improve it.

It's a slippery slope...
 ;)

I have no budget, sold my LaScalas a few years ago. I've been rebuilding some LS cabs I got, no original parts. Been a slow process, but I have all the parts. Was out of work for nine months, just started back.

Current parts:

K33 woofers

K-400 horns w/EV1828R drivers

Eminence APT150 horn/driver combination on separate baffle ( allowed me to physically time align mid and tweeter)

DHA2 crossover, a simple constant impedance design.

The time alignment was a huge, really huge improvement.

Bruce

Welcome Sid. I am using the Eliptrac 400's with the K-55's right now on some custom La Scalas I just finished. Solid State at the moment. Recently sold my tube gear and never used this combo with it. I am using the adaptors in the link below which you will need(or similar). They create a nice, smooth transition from the K-55 to the 400, you do not need the gasket and they are inexpensive.

Now I am not going to try and convince you I do not miss my TAD TD-4001's with the Eliptrac in my Jube Clones, but this current combo I find to be pretty damn good for a small driver. I can easily live with it.

https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-adm25-50-1-3-8-18-tpi-driver-to-4-bolt-2-horn-adapter--294-2941

This is a nice adaptor as well. Don't know if you would need to use the gasket with it or not.

http://www.speakercity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PC50

DSCN2689.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid K said:

But I never did like the harsh original sound from the Khorns so I have decided to try and improve it.

So you're thinking that changing out amplifiers will solve a loudspeaker harshness problem?

And you think the harshness problem is all in the midrange compression driver and horn?

I'm interested in the answer.  I asked a question because I'm interested in the information that returns from asking.

Am I missing something?

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sid K said:

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had experience with this type of combination?

General input would be great also.

I'm currently about to do this combination/upgrade 

I have tried a variety of PP and SE tube amps on my stock La Scalas.

The Almarro A205A EL-84 based SEP (4 watts/channel) and CazTech SE-845 SET (18 watts/channel - monoblock) amps are my favorites with the nod going to the CazTechs.

From my experiences, I prefer single ended amps on my La Scalas.

Just my opinion and YMMV.....

11 minutes ago, Deang said:

Hi Chris...Are you going to be at the Gathering in April?

I've penciled it in.  We've had a number of pop-up challenges in the past year that have taught me to insert the phrase "God willing" into the sentence.  It isn't a terribly long drive for me, however: 3.5 hours.

I'm looking forward to hearing the calliope album that Dave M. apparently has (that everyone else apparently hates).  I do hope to be there.  I was there two years ago, but was unable to stay/attend the festivities and missed the appointment that I'd made, unfortunately.  It's been a long haul since I've seen the Jub crowd, and haven't really met the others.

Chris

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

So you're thinking that changing out amplifiers will solve a loudspeaker harshness problem?

And you think the harshness problem is all in the midrange compression driver and horn?

No, to the amp.

From what I have read on alkeng.com and other research I have read up on, yes.

Just so that you have the benefit: the K-77 is a pretty rough driver as I've come to find out through the Belle tri-amping stuff

I chose several crossover points and steepness filters and found that it basically doesn't have a really good crossover point with the K-55/K-XX midrange horn,  I found that the Beyma CP25 worked much better (could cross lower, and it had apparently better polars, but worse measured harmonic distortion, and it required equalization--PEQs).  However, the K-55 driver/K-600 horn combination required essentially no EQ at all.  So you might consider a better tweeter that can be crossed lower to the K-55, which actually sounds very good to my ears, even after all the EQing, swapping of tweeters and experimenting with crossover filter points and steepness. The K-55 seems to be a fairly good sounding and testing driver, but the K-400 series horns have that collapsing polar design. 

I haven't tested a third-party midrange horn to understand how they stack up.  If you're willing to do a little acoustic absorption right around the mouth of the stock midrange horn, you might find that it performs extremely well. 

I'd recommend looking at the CT-120 or CT-125 from Bob Crites.  I know that the CT-125 requires a little boost in gain to match the K-55 response.  The CT-120 sounds like it could be a real winner, but I've not heard one.

It's something to consider.

Chris