Center Channel

miliellie111

I can only fit a center channel with about 4" in height underneath my tv above the fireplace. It seems i've found that the Definitive Technology Mythos 7 is slim and about that size. All Klipsch center channels are much larger with more depth as well. Would getting the DefTech center along with Klipsch RP-280f fronts sound weird or be a bad idea? This is better than going without a center channel at all right? Any other suggestions for a center? Thanks

Forget a dedicated center speaker and just use a phantom center.  I do this in the family room although I could make room for a dedicated center.  I don't miss having a center speaker one bit and love the phantom center.  You could also add an angled ceiling speaker into the mix.

• Like 1

i agree with WVU80's idea.  just raise the tv a few inches... or, lower the mantle shelf??  

BUT, i will say that def tech makes great sounding speakers, most here wont agree with that being this is a brand specific forum or haven't ever tried/heard them, but they sound very very good.  just like many other brands of speakers & audio gear do, believe it or not there are other options out there....  :ph34r:   i have quite a few different def tech speakers & IMO they sound excellent & in some ways even better than klipsch, especially their midlevel R series, but i wont get into that here. def tech is popular for the bi-polar versions but the mythos are direct radiating & would be a decent match to klipsch R series sound, they have a metal diaphram tweeter & i think klipsch R series do to.  

& unless you have absolutely no choice to use a center,  ANY decent quality center is better than a phantom center IMO. especially in your situation where the tv is so much higher than the main speakers.  for home theater you want the mains & center to be at least close to the same heights.  & making your mains do the center channel output just hurts the overall performance compared to a real center IMO.  if you can get the def tech for a decent price & you dont have an issue mixing brands, by all means give it a try.  they come up on the used market all the time & if you dont like it you can resell it.  

2 hours ago, miliellie111 said:

Wanted to keep the TV as low as possible (neck strain fatigue) ;)

What is the exact amount of space you need for your center?  Do you have 6"?  If so, I may have a high quality inexpensive alternative that is out-of-the-box suggestion.

attachment.php?attachmentid=413657&d=141

F4Q4x3c.jpg

Dave, good ideas for sure. But I have a concern with the first pic. I don't think it's a good idea to mount those white wood cabinets so close to an operating fireplace. That fireplace will put out quite a bit of heat, and you can see some staining on the brick from smoke escaping. Just my .02

Dave, good ideas for sure. But I have a concern with the first pic. I don't think it's a good idea to mount those white wood cabinets so close to an operating fireplace. That fireplace will put out quite a bit of heat, and you can see some staining on the brick from smoke escaping. Just my .02

Or anything at that. Keep away from fire/heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk