Goncalo Alves... Tiger wood users?

HPower

My new speaker project that I have veneered in Goncalo Alves paper backed, is almost completed and would like

to hear from any other Tigerwood users as to how they finished this wood.

I was planning to use "Rubio Monocoat Oil Plus 2C" that my wood supplier recommended.

Although I did not see any Tigerwood finished with this product at the wood shop, I did see many other

species with this oil finish and they all looked great.

http://www.monocoat.us/furniture-applications/

Is there any special pre treatment need when using oil to finish Tigerwood?

Try some Teak Oil on a left over scrap of veneer, it looks really good on the Tigerwood. I am a big fan of Oil finishes especially on exotic woods. I decided to go with Satin Lacquer on these Tigerwood La Scalas I just completed.

DSCN2735.JPG

DSCN2739.JPG

I haven't used Monocoat on Goncalo Alves, but have had great luck using it on black walnut. Always seems to turn out great. The times I have used Goncalo Alves have been in cutting boards and I use a different finish for that. Still a great wood.

I have not used the Rubio Monocoat Oil Plus 2C, but it seems to be a durable high quality finishing treatment, from reading the product description and it's price tag. I don't have any experience with Goncalo Alves, but it is a naturally oily wood, so you could try a less costly oil finish (as suggested by jorgen) on some test samples. On the few projects I have done, I made extra veneered pieces, cut off little blocks, applied different finishes and then labeled them, so I can study my own variety of samples to see what works best for that specific project.

IMG_3144.JPG

Jordan,

Those look amazing!!!

The Satin Lacquer you used is "Natural", as in no colour added?

After seeing your latest work, reminds me not to show any of mine as you set the bar too damn high. :o

I veneered a couple scrap pieces of BB and will give the Teak oil a try.

Fizik,

I am glad to hear that you have had good experiences with the Monocoat, it sounds like it should be easy to

apply if it's application is as advertised by Rubio.

I read up on their site this morning and for exotic woods Rubio recommends using their "Raw Wood Cleaner"

as it removes the natural oils from the surface of exotic wood species preventing a blotchy finish.

Probably a good idea.

After all the work and expense of the Goncalo Alves, I would hate to muck it up now.

Backs.jpg

1 hour ago, babadono said:

^HPower, I'm envious and curious. What did you build there? Jubilees?, Jamborees? Or what?

Last March, see thread...

I fell into some horns, but I was unsure as to what to do with them.

It took about 1/2 a year to make my mind up and ferret out the bits and pieces that the project would require.

Anyways, the journey is almost complete and I will update the thread I just quoted when I think things look presentable.

I will never get close to matching some of the creations that Jordan and others have shown us, but I think they will show

OK, and  more importantly I hope they put a grin on my face when playing.

On 1/19/2017 at 9:40 AM, HPower said:

Jordan,

Those look amazing!!!

The Satin Lacquer you used is "Natural", as in no colour added?

After seeing your latest work, reminds me not to show any of mine as you set the bar too damn high. :o

I veneered a couple scrap pieces of BB and will give the Teak oil a try.

Fizik,

I am glad to hear that you have had good experiences with the Monocoat, it sounds like it should be easy to

apply if it's application is as advertised by Rubio.

I read up on their site this morning and for exotic woods Rubio recommends using their "Raw Wood Cleaner"

as it removes the natural oils from the surface of exotic wood species preventing a blotchy finish.

Probably a good idea.

After all the work and expense of the Goncalo Alves, I would hate to muck it up now.

Backs.jpg

Thanks for the kind words HP. I can't wait to see yours finished, they are going to be gorgeous Man! I could not for the life of me find your old thread. One of Dana's designs ?

No color to the lacquer I used just natural. I use Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer(lightly sand with 220-320 after third coat)and Satin Lacquer three coats, no sanding unless a coat gets fouled somehow. Same exact finish as I used on the Jube Clones. I used Teal oil on my last few Khorn restorations which I veneered in Rosewood. I have used Natural Danish Oil on most of the lighter stuff I have done like Oak and Cherry. Used  Natural Danish Oil on some Flat Cut Cherry Cornwalls that ST. Patrick(Patrick McCarthy)has now. Man that wood was pretty.  Any chance to try the Teak Oil?

8 hours ago, longdrive03 said:

Sounds like a great project.  Good luck.

Jorjen, your LS looks outstanding!!  Well built and veneer is gorgeous.  You do good work!!

Thanks very much LD! Did'nt build this pair from scratch though. This was a restoration.

Took some pretty screwed up '77's and severed the tops from the bass bins. Swaddled the entire bass bin(sides, top/bottom and back)in MDF. Veneered them and installed braces, grilles and  binding posts. Made new 1 1/2" Birch Ply bottoms. Painted the backs black and laquered. Stock K-33's. And the finishing touch of course....

DSCN2752.JPG

Oh by the way, on the heels of finishing my La Scalas I have already started my next and probably last restoration with these poor things. Ugly Ducklings into Swans baby!

Sorry HP, got carried away. Didn't mean to take over your thread. I am like a Puppy with two Peters when I start talking about this stuff. DSCN2797.JPG

On 2017-01-20 at 9:06 PM, jorjen said:

Thanks for the kind words HP. I can't wait to see yours finished, they are going to be gorgeous Man! I could not for the life of me find your old thread. One of Dana's designs ?

No color to the lacquer I used just natural. I use Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer(lightly sand with 220-320 after third coat)and Satin Lacquer three coats, no sanding unless a coat gets fouled somehow. Same exact finish as I used on the Jube Clones. I used Teal oil on my last few Khorn restorations which I veneered in Rosewood. I have used Natural Danish Oil on most of the lighter stuff I have done like Oak and Cherry. Used  Natural Danish Oil on some Flat Cut Cherry Cornwalls that ST. Patrick(Patrick McCarthy)has now. Man that wood was pretty.  Any chance to try the Teak Oil?

Thanks very much LD! Did'nt build this pair from scratch though. This was a restoration.

It has been a while since picking up the pair of 402s, and then buying your HF-200s, at that time I was debating between MWMs and Jub clones.

After countless hours of going over your Jub clone build, JWCs Jub like build and Rigmas build... I decided to go with the Jub build.

The last of the veneer was applied over the weekend.

I still have some touch up to do, sanding, wire up the K31s, and then oil up the cabinets.

I tried some Watco Danish Oil (Natural) I had sitting on my shelf, it did not look bad on the Tiger wood.

I took that same sample over to my wood shop and tried a sample of the Monocoat (Pure) next to the Watco,

and I preferred the the Rubio.

The wood shop owner felt the Monocoat would stand up much better than either the Danish oil or the Teak oil.

I bought a 350ml can of the RMC for the job as well as a can of the Rubico Cleaner to prep the Tigerwood.

Want to know what will look beautiful on Goncalo Alves and really hold up to some tuff abuse guys?

Don't ask me what to use, but I can tell you who to ask!

I have owned custom solid wood grips for my .44 Magnum made out of Goncalo Alves for 20 years now and the still look awesome! I bought them from Hogue Custom Wood grips and their phone number is 1-800-GET-GRIP

I would seriously call them up and find out what they are using to finish these grips on that exact wood because I have literaly fired tens of thousands of rounds through this gun and I promise you that if any of you handle your speakers that much in 20 years that you NEED locked up!

Seriously, these grips look beautiful and have really held up though!

Roger