Chilly, so Chili!

Mallette

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It's a Texas thing.  I'm not sure that any other state gets it right.  You should try the chilli in Hawaii.  It's basically bean soup.

Been to Hawaii a few times.  Being Portuguese, i love Linguica. Had some in Hawaii and it was different.  

Anybody here from KC or environs?  The pride themselves on their version.  Quite eatable, but tame compared to Texas in the heat department.  Perhaps even strange is that the most sought it versions are in Irish pubs.  Only in America...

Dave

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Plus I challenge you to find one more heretical component from the photo.

No takers?

No matter.

The point of this post is that there is one more bottle of Reaper Madness left.  I was only joking with Dave, he would never squeeze a penny out of wherever it is that he squeezes them from.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

You just gotta know what you are looking for.  Tepins (chiltepins) are the little round ones and their close relatives are the oblongs (pequins).

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/restaurants/its-a-dry-heat-get-to-know-chiltepin-and-pequin-hot-peppers-6508245

They aren't the same, but similar enough.  I prefer the petins,  they just have a better flavor.  The heat is pretty much the same between the two.  There is not much I won't hesitate crushing a few petins into when I cook.

Thanks. Much of what I found lumped them together:

Chili Pepper, Hot Pepper, Chile Petin, Chile Piquin (Pequin), Bird Pepper

Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It's a Texas thing.  I'm not sure that any other state gets it right.

Seriously? Chili, in it's many shapes and forms has been around a lot longer than Texas has been a state. Matter of fact, Alabama got about a 40 year head start on Texas so it might be your the one screwing up the chili.  :D

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

That's true about all the states. What about BBQ? Who invented that? I got no idea.

I think what was meant was the in Texas, if a question is raised about "the revolution," it's the Texas revolution.  Texans specify the "American Revolution" when speaking of the other one.

As to BBQ, I'd always thought it was invented by a lady named Barbara Q Brisket. 

Dave

8 hours ago, Mallette said:

As to BBQ, I'd always thought it was invented by a lady named Barbara Q Brisket.

The poor unfortunate soul.

On the chili front, a really great version of it is made with chuck eye steaks when they can be found. Grill the steaks to medium pink first and thinly slice similar to fajita meat. That can be the start of something good.

I use almost anything that will boil tender hand cut to make chili.  As their is a grocery store across the street, I check their marked down meat almost every morning and most "good" meat I purchase comes from it marked down 50% or more.  I get some awesome ribeyes, sirloins, and such REALLY cheap.  Rarely have to pay full price.  I've made chili out of sirloins that cost less than their ground chili meat. 

Dave

Hmmm...that would be of a bit over pronounced flavor for my liking.  While I have a broad bandwidth for chili variants I prefer that the CHILIS always take the lead in flavor.  One of my favorites is venison chili...or any game meat.  Venison, being a bit lean, is best mixed with some pork. 

Dave

• Like 1

I'd eat that.  Bit more complex than my own approach...but my dad had a saying he said originated around cowboy camp fires in west Texas concerning the chuck cook's work.  "It's a bit over/under cooked and could use a bit of/less of/none "x," ....and that is JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT"  My thoughts precisely.

Dave