Almost no Treble from RB-35s

Rivernuggets

I'm at a loss then.  My gut says the tweeters are cooked as that's the first thing to go when a speaker is overpowered but normally it'll fry the voice coil and go open.  My best guess is that the coils are not completely open but the insulation has melted slightly and rubbing when they attempt to move.  If they can't move freely, they'll have greatly reduced performance.  If you could disassemble the tweeter and look at the voice coil the damage will be obvious.

• Like 1

Disassembled the first one and the voice coil seems intact, though it has dark staining on about 1/2 its surface.  The stain transfers to my finger when touched.  Maybe it's oil from the magnet.

It will be close to impossible to assemble this again without damaging it.  A lot of blind movement involved.

Will order a new pair of replacement tweeters.  Says factory backorder until March.

On 1/30/2017 at 2:15 PM, CECAA850 said:

I'm at a loss then.  My gut says the tweeters are cooked as that's the first thing to go when a speaker is overpowered but normally it'll fry the voice coil and go open.  My best guess is that the coils are not completely open but the insulation has melted slightly and rubbing when they attempt to move.  If they can't move freely, they'll have greatly reduced performance.  If you could disassemble the tweeter and look at the voice coil the damage will be obvious.

This is exactly what happen to the tweeter in my FH speaker around Xmas.  The speaker would make sound but, very low to where you had to get right up on it.  Any way, the fix was to replace the tweeter or get a new speaker.

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with Zach at Klipsch.  Super nice and helpful guy.  They do not sell this K-137 tweeter anymore.  He directed my to:

10 hours ago, ricktate said:

Thanks Rick! 

Same part and price as what Speaker Exchange offers.  Both venders are currently out of stock.  Will order once they're available.

Thank you for all your feedback and help everyone.  Best Forum on the planet.

Once these arrive I'll post here with the outcome.

Music!

• Like 2