Almost no Treble from RB-35s

Rivernuggets

Purchased through Craigslist.  The treble is barely perceivable, way more quiet than what the woofers put out.  You have to put your ear inches away from the horn to hear cymbals, etc.  It's weird how both speakers are matched exactly.

I checked connections to all internals, checked polarity, and swapped out different receivers/amps.  Same result.  This is where my troubleshooting ends.  Can one of you give me some guidance with this?  I have a volt meter.....haven't checked resistance of the tweeter diaphragms.

You'd think I would have learned by now to listen before purchasing!

Are they bi-amp speakers? In other words, two sets of binding posts on the back? Maybe make sure the connections on the jumpers are tight if you are only plugging one set of wires to them. If not, maybe the crossover or the tweeter.

• Like 2

I bought some RB-35's sight unseen about 4.5 years ago and had my sister pick them up and keep at her house in Atlantic Beach for about two months.  When I visited her I picked them up and fired them right up.  No treble/upper midrange = blown tweeters.  Ordered a pair from Klipsch and they were singing like they should.  Get that volt meter and test them.

Bill

• Like 3

Bill is correct, the tweeter is bad.  Two speakers with bad XO'x, unlikely.  AVR or processor problem, unlikely if bass driver is working and jumpers in place.  The RB 35 is a great bookshelf and worth fixing.  I wish I still had mine.  I can't say anything negative in regards to those speakers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Bill is correct, the tweeter is bad.  Two speakers with bad XO'x, unlikely.  AVR or processor problem, unlikely if bass driver is working and jumpers in place.  The RB 35 is a great bookshelf and worth fixing.  I wish I still had mine.  I can't say anything negative in regards to those speakers.

Wanted to hear these due to all the positive feedback on this forum.  I hope this is a new tweeter issue and no more.  For what I paid it would be worth ordering replacements.

1 minute ago, Rivernuggets said:

After checking the tweeter at 2.8.  The woofer on the same speaker reads 3.2.

Compare one tweeter to the other tweeter.

What's the reading at the speaker wire terminals at the back of the speakers with everything hooked up?

Weird .... I bought some of these brand new for my son and I put them through the paces before giving them to him. They are awesome. How much are new tweets from klipsch if they have them?

Sounds like you checked everything......did you take tweeter out to check it????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Compare one tweeter to the other tweeter.

What's the reading at the speaker wire terminals at the back of the speakers with everything hooked up?

Both speakers read the same:

Tweeter Alone = 2.8

Woofer Alone = 3.2

Speaker Wire Terminals with everything hooked up = 3.3