Speaker break in

Gandalf007

When I bought my first pair of klipsch speakers (RB-51), I was ready to take them back because they didn't sound anything like they did in the store.  I read somewhere that speakers needed to be broke in.  I sent music thru them at a low volume before I went to work for a couple days. I could tell a difference after the first day, and a lot after the second. Much more fuller and the clarity came out.

i always assumed the surrounds were stiff when new and needed some vibration to loosen them up.

I may be nuts, but I noticed a difference in all the speakers I have bought since then.  So happy I didn't return the first set of speakers after hooking them up the first time.

• Like 2

Yes, my apologies for getting us off topic. 

Back to topic, I have heard the phenomena of what some might call speaker break in. Over the past few months I've changed components in my La Scalas and have noticed a different, smoother more open sound, after a week or so of listening.  Even from vendors that swear their stuff doesn't require break in. 

Mark

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tasdom said:

I would venture to say that most of the speakers you have acquired were broken in long before you purchased them. (Youthman deals of course) :)

You are correct most of the speakers that I have purchased were used .  My RF83 and RC64 were brand new.  Never heard any difference in them over time.

• Like 1

http://www.gr-research.com/myths.htm

Best article I've seen on the subject, since they actually did several measurements over time.  I don't see how anybody can watch some of those parameters changing by 20% then say that break-in doesn't exist.  Can you notice some of the lesser changing ones though, slowly changing over the course of 80 hours?  Doubt it.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Best article I've seen on the subject, since they actually did several measurements over time.  I don't see how anybody can watch some of those parameters changing by 20% then say that break-in doesn't exist.  Can you notice some of the lesser changing ones though, slowly changing over the course of 80 hours?  Doubt it.  

Thanks for posting this.....I'm about to try some Eminence Kappa 15c's in my LaScalas today that are new and I'll make sure to give them some time before I make a decision

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Thanks! That's an interesting read. 

Mark

• Like 2

Back in my Military Acd. days we had to to a book report on something, i did the workings of a speaker.

Seems this might be the best way to explain my Logic, though never "Hearing" it, Break-in is Logic.

A speaker Cone only has two things holding it in there, and they are Front Suspension surround, and the spider, both made out of a different flex meterials.

Obviously they support the cone and allow movement.

No matter WHAT they are made out of, it's mechanical and it will wear. flexing is wear, fibers get loose, rubber gets softer, Logic. 

Picture3-1.png

• Like 2

Since most of my purchases are used, iv never personally "Heard" anything, but the Logic "IS" there....:mellow:

P.S. for those that have heard the difference, my hat is of to you for two reasons.

1. you can afford new crisp speakers.

2. you have a tuned "Audio Ear" that can hear it.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, minermark said:

No matter WHAT they are made out of, it's mechanical and it will wear. flexing is wear, fibers get loose, rubber gets softer, Logic. 

Does the rubber get softer in a few weeks?  And the bigger question is as those forementioned changes occur, can you hear it?  Is there that much "wear" that occurs in a few days or even weeks? Inquiring minds want to know

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm with you Marc. I know my ears are not what I would consider "critical".  And probably do not hear the very subtle nuances that's some audiophiles are able to hear.  I just know if it sounds good to my ears or not LOL

• Like 1

I think this only applies to new components. Remember the days when auto manufacturers would have very specific break in procedures for cars? Buy a used one and it's pedal to the metal time. Speakers don't take as long since as Minermark pointed out there's fewer moving parts. 

Mark

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Does the rubber get softer in a few weeks?  And the bigger question is as those forementioned changes occur, can you hear it?  Is there that much "wear" that occurs in a few days or even weeks? Inquiring minds want to know

Ok, this for me is difficult to explain, my idea's are as follows:

Old school, my days 60s/70s speakers and compounds that Mfg had available were limited and standard, and let's face it chemical engineering was not what it is now days.

New age, 80s through now, just think of all the compounds they have come up with!

Think any of them use the same thing? doubt it. hell some are even Carbon Fiber!

And of course no Mfg is going to share their Chit with inquiring company's/people.

So it comes down to what they were/are made of, and when, everything in life gets weak and dissolves.

See where the idea of "Flex" kind of makes a little more sense?

Cheap LiL experiment anyone can do if they ever have and old rubber mounted woofer/sub laying around, note: this will ruin the speaker but proves the "Movemet/breakin idea.

Speaker on the bench, feed the critter a signal, 1.5AA Batt works well for as quick jump.

Note the stiffness of the "Jump"

Small paint brush and some WD40, paint the entire rubber surround, not alot and not heavy, 1/4 line around it.

re-apply you signal see if there is any difference, should not be much.

Enjoy a few beers for 30 min repete test noting "Jump"

now give it a few hours, repete, note jump.

Now come back the next day, you be talking loose baby, and soon it will "Jump right the hell outta that cage.

Rememer you will NEVER use this wasted speaker again;)

Gotta love WD40

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Jason.

I'm very skeptical, still.

Doing the math, if you break in by feeding a woofer with 60 Hz, in 24 hours it has gone through 5.18 million cycles or 10. 3 million each way.   Yet people speak of weeks or months.  Even 10 days will give 50 million or 100 million stresses applied and strain in movement.  It is difficult to believe that it takes this long to change any elasticity.

I like Sherlock Homes and the story of the theft of the race horse Silver Blaze.  Holmes comments to Watson: The dog barking in the night is curious (or like that). Watson says, There was no dog barking in the night.  Yes, says Holmes, that is what is curious.  The reasoning is that whoever took the horse out of the barn must have been a friend.  

Overall, this is part of analysis of data.  What does the data show, what does it not show (missing data sometimes), what should the proponent be expected to show or not to support a thesis ?

Eminence does not show any change in T-S data or any data at all.  Curious.  If Eminence is so confident, were is the data?

A few decades ago I tested some woofers ( Eminence) out of the box and then after 12 hours of hard driving at resonance. for T-S parameters.  There was no change.

OTOH, there are many anecdotal reports that amps and speakers sound better after a long time of listening.  I think it is subjective.

These people reject ABX testing (no difference in many things) saying that it takes time to appreciate the nuances.  I say, fine.  Let's run an ABX test after you've listened.  But that does not seem to have been done. 

WMcD

40 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Does the rubber get softer in a few weeks?  

The spider is actually the biggest culprit when it comes to compliance.  Read page 11 from The LoudSpeaker Design Cookbook here below.  Yes spiders can loosen up with time, just like a pair of jeans goes from stiff to soft.  We might as well be arguing that jeans don't break-in. :)  

http://usenclosure.com/Diffraction Graphs/Loudspeaker Design Cookbook - Seventh Edition (Vance Dickason).pdf