Time Out!

HDBRbuilder

12 hours ago, Mallette said:

Problem is, I am not into watches, or guns, or knives, or steam engines...but I am FACINATED and enthralled with the above and the "feel" of fine craftsmanship.  Therefore, I am cursed with love of all these things and more.

Dave

Yup. Doesn't take me but a second to see something from a distance and notice quality. Sort of shouts at you. Take the dresser I have in the M.B. Walking around a sale everything was ho-hum. Run of the mill stuff. Walked in and my eyes went directly to the oxidized copper feet on the bottom of the dresser. It was "calling" me. Walked over took out couple drawers and everything was dove tail joints and each drawer was different size 6",10"12" with double sliders underneath each drawer.  Then you have the doors on either side of the dresser are an inch thick. Cool. Also REAL walnut wood supporting the bottom of the drawers not plywood.I went to lift it to see the back....Could NOT budge it. I thought crap, it's bolted to the wall, floor somehow. Nope. The mirror alone was 70#! (After I weighed it) Thing is a beast of a dresser easily 250#.

Same with the Bell's. I instantly saw the craftsmanship. I knew too that was a beast. 

A lot of quality craftsmanship out there but as society becomes more and more mobile people don't want to take this insanely heavy items with them. I will. 

6 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

Yup. Doesn't take me but a second to see something from a distance and notice quality. Sort of shouts at you.

Indeed.  One of my odder pieces is an electric barber clipper from about 1950.  Very heavy, almost silent, and still goes through hair with zero effort.  Made in America to last a lifetime.  Thought if I ever owned a business I'd hang it on the wall with a caption reading "Our products and services should be built like this." 

Dave

• Like 1

agreed.  IMO, there isn't nearly as much attention to the quality of the build any more as compared to these things made back in the day.  yes, there are some - Klipsch, and Heritage as examples.  seems to me too many manufacturers are building for least cost, lowest selling price and willing to reduce "overall quality" or workmanship to get to that desired cost / selling price.

I think most of us 'round the forum here appreciate the quality of yesteryear, and are willing to pay for it if we must.  but as Rx said above - I'm always looking for a deal (steal B)) on something with long lasting value.