Time Out!

HDBRbuilder

Ain't it FUNNY how "what goes around comes around"?  :

New Bulova Snorkel.jpg

This is the RETRO quartz Bulova Accutron II currently on the market (NOT Swiss-made!).  This one goes for about one-third the cost (or considerably LESS than one-third!) of what the original goes for on the market nowadays.   They were one of the most "chunky" of dive watches 45 years ago.

Bulova Deep Sea original.jpg

This is the ORIGINAL Bulova Accutron Deep Sea/Snorkel series dive watch from 45+ years ago with its inner rotaqting bezel...Swiss made.

I am a huge fan of the "under the glass" rotating bezel watches from that era...especially so for the automatics.  Those kind of bezels were a stop-gap measure to eliminate accidentally moving the outer bezel while diving, until the one-way rotating stop-click outer bezels gained in popularity.  It is simply amazing how many very fine Swiss dive watches from the 1960's had the under-the-glass bezels!  I have a number of different ones!

58a0e2a381970_AquastarSeatime.thumb.jpg.3ef7da53ee29d27fbcf9618db81f85e1.jpg

Nivada, Aquastar, Wyler, Aquadive...too many to count...used either their own case designs or dropped their movements into "compressor" cases to be able to market under-the-glass rotating bezel versions....with most of them having a separate crown for under-the-glass bezel operation, with the notable (but not the ONLY!) exception of the Aquastar Seatime automatic models, which had a single crown for the entire show: day/date/time-set, and timing bezel set!

• Like 2

I have had a few Rolexs and other watches and now am sporting a Seiko "Pepsi" dive watch. Looses a bit of time every month, about three minutes which I'm not happy about but I'm more comfortable with this watch than any other. My wife insist that she'll like to get me another and if that's the case I told her to buy me a used Rolex GMT SS Pepsi one so if it gets banged up I'm not worried. There's something about analog.:) Have to wind it up everyday? My type of watch.

In the future I would like the following:

Omega Sea Master planet ocean. Yes, the same watch as James Bond. I liked them before he did.:P

Panereai: Damn, nice looking watch. Specifically the Luminor 1950 submersible.

Dream watch : Seiko Ananta spring drive gmt watch for dinner and special occasions.

I'd like to try others but it can become a very expensive hobby. 

A fun watch to hear is the Credor line of watches. The chime of this watch is just amazing and it's complicated movement notwithstanding is flat out beautiful.

I don't run in these circles but if I did this is a watch I'd have.

• Like 1

from HDBRbuuilder:

"I am a huge fan of the "under the glass" rotating bezel watches from that era...especially so for the automatics."

from RXonmymind:

"I have had a few Rolexs and other watches and now am sporting a Seiko "Pepsi" dive watch. Loses a bit of time every month, about three minutes which I'm not happy about but I'm more comfortable with this watch than any other...."

I can relate to both of you and your liking for "vintage" divers.  Allow me to show off my classic "Pepsi" just recently serviced and looking/running almost as new.  Purchased by me back in '71 at the Army PX while I was in 'Nam.  I don't wear mine at all, strictly a keepsake that I will most likely pass on to a family member.  Enjoy yours!

Seiko%20Pepsi_zpsdycjpedw.jpg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, richieb said:

OK, I'm sure I can Google it, but why the "Pepsi" designation? Question from a Timex man!!!!

Oh, I do have an arm full of  Rolex from my travels in the streets of NYC. Damn true they're Rollie's!?

The blue/red combination on the bezel dial.

Here's my favorite.  Given to my father as "barter" for a job in the 50s.  Going to my son as soon as I get a worthy chain.  Extremely accurate and loss/gain very consistent.  Also extremely cool in public.

But you MUST have reliable chain to pull it out with.  If it breaks you are out a pocket of cash to get the main wheel re-seated and the thing regulated.  NOT shock resistant. 

Dave

Hamilton.jpg

• Like 2

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM, scalawag said:

from HDBRbuuilder:

"I am a huge fan of the "under the glass" rotating bezel watches from that era...especially so for the automatics."

from RXonmymind:

"I have had a few Rolexs and other watches and now am sporting a Seiko "Pepsi" dive watch. Loses a bit of time every month, about three minutes which I'm not happy about but I'm more comfortable with this watch than any other...."

I can relate to both of you and your liking for "vintage" divers.  Allow me to show off my classic "Pepsi" just recently serviced and looking/running almost as new.  Purchased by me back in '71 at the Army PX while I was in 'Nam.  I don't wear mine at all, strictly a keepsake that I will most likely pass on to a family member.  Enjoy yours!

Up until the mid-to-late 1960's there weren't many Seiko automatic watches being sold in the United States.  What turned that around was U.S. military personnel purchases in Viet Nam.  And, once Seiko made automatic dive watches which had cases providing 20 ATM or more protection, their sales soared!...ESPECIALLY for purchasers who were divers.  The average GI could suffice with less than 20ATM (660 ft) waterproof guarantee, so they were the PRIMARY purchasers of the 200-450 ft "dive watches" that Seiko made during that era...plenty tough enough for monsoon rains, river crossings and being beaten around in a combat zone...with a reliable high-beat automatic movement, good lume on the dials, with easy to see hands!   

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Mallette said:

Here's my favorite.  Given to my father as "barter" for a job in the 50s.  Going to my son as soon as I get a worthy chain.  Extremely accurate and loss/gain very consistent.  Also extremely cool in public.

But you MUST have reliable chain to pull it out with.  If it breaks you are out a pocket of cash to get the main wheel re-seated and the thing regulated.  NOT shock resistant.

Dave

Hamilton.jpg

I still have my great grandfather's solid 18k gold-cased pocket watch and it still runs perfectly.  It is one of hundreds of thousands made using Swiss movements, a proprietary gold case and a porcelain dial face that had whoever's name on it back in the tail end of the 1800's thru the mid 1920's.  There were actually very few American watch companies which made their own movements, and those which DO have the American-made movements tend to be worth more to collectors...Hamilton was one who made MOST of their own movements during that era.  What is cool for me to run across is the key-wound ones, or the conversions FROM key wind to stem wind.  Back in those days you could order a pocket watch from Sears or Montgomery/Wards catalogs and pick the movement, the face style, the hands, and choose from a variety of case styles (to include whether the case style was solid silver, gold, steel, brass...or silver or gold plated)...talk about consumer-friendly sales!

1 minute ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Back in those days you could order a pocket watch from Sears or Montgomery/Wards catalogs and pick the movement, the face style, the hands, and choose from a variety of case styles (to include whether the case style was solid silver, gold, steel, brass...or silver or gold plated)...talk about consumer-friendly sales!

My dad told me about these and in his day they were referred to as "dollar" watches as the cheapest models were the first to be available to the working class...sort of predecessor to the Timex of the 60s and 70s.

Dave

35 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Back in those days you could order a pocket watch from Sears or Montgomery/Wards catalogs and pick the movement, the face style, the hands, and choose from a variety of case styles (to include whether the case style was solid silver, gold, steel, brass...or silver or gold plated)...talk about consumer-friendly sales!

yep - pretty cool stuff.  I'm not much into watches, especially like you guys here.  but I am an admirer of quality craftsmanship, especially when it looks good.

yea, those were the days of a very consumer friendly sales era.  for the most part I think not so much now.  in some cases yes, but for the most part - no.

I used to have a Hamilton, got it from a family member who worked on the railroad in central Illinois. It disappeared sometime in the 1960s. Not sure but I think another family member managed to grab it from the house while I was off traveling.

13 minutes ago, -js- said:

but I am an admirer of quality craftsmanship

Problem is, I am not into watches, or guns, or knives, or steam engines...but I am FACINATED and enthralled with the above and the "feel" of fine craftsmanship.  Therefore, I am cursed with love of all these things and more.

Dave

• Like 3

Just now, Mallette said:

Problem is, I am not into watches, or guns, or knives, or steam engines...but I am FACINATED and enthralled with the above and the "feel" of fine craftsmanship.  Therefore, I am cursed with love of all these things and more.

Dave

You probably like player pianos too.

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Dave

ditto.  so am I.  I absolutely LOVE the craftsmanship of stuff like that - some areas more than others.  I do like the guns, watches, knives.  I find steam engines pretty cool - the few that I've looked at from a distance, on the tv or online

Not to mention loudspeakers, turntables, kerosene lamps, weather instruments, tools, furniture, HELP ME JESUS!!!!!

Dave

ya, me too.  and the player pianos are probably pretty cool too  :D

On 2/13/2017 at 0:17 PM, scalawag said:

from HDBRbuuilder:

from RXonmymind:

Iv got a couple of these from my Yokosuka day's 0f the 70s

Dave

OK...I looked up your word and could not find it...so...let's start with worst-case scenario:  Did you INTEND to type FECINATED???  If so, we have further harassment for you!  OR, did you intend to type FASCINATED?...which is the best-case scenario...kinda interested in your answer.

8 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

OK...I looked up your word and could not find it...so...let's start with worst-case scenario:  Did you INTEND to type FECINATED???  If so, we have further harassment for you!  OR, did you intend to type FASCINATED?...which is the best-case scenario...kinda interested in your answer.

No, I stick by being thoroughly facinated.  Get fac'd everyday by somebody, it seems.

Dave

• Like 1