Two amps One pair speakers

Pancho

Hello - help me out if you can please - I had a great AV Receiver Nakamichi AV10 - both my 5.1 and Stereo 2 Ch playback sounded very good.

Yet - I went for a new AVR (well I have had the AV10 for 18 Years!) - Denon AVR X 4200. My fronts are Klipsch R28F. I was so disappointed with the flat 2 Ch performace for my audio collections - ended up buying Denon PMA1520AE as a dedicated 2 Ch amp - that would help me enjoy the CD's. (well at least I thought so...)

The sales guy told me - I just would have to disconnect the jumpers behind the speakers - and connect one amp to one set of speaker binding post while the other amp to the other set of speaker binding post. Did that - but yet again - its just flat sound - as clearly by disconnecting the jumpers - only the tweeter is working with one amp.

So - my request to you seniors here - is to guide me how to overcome the situation - after having spent loads of money on two amps and rather unnecessarily having discarded the loyal AV10. I need to have the PMA 1520AE for my audio cd's while use the AVR 4200 for the movies - but use it with one pair of R28F. (Please dont ask me to buy another pair of speakers - I do that - my better half would leave me !:() I read a lot about bi-wiring and bi-amping - but cant figure out how that is a solution to this? But if it is the way forward - could one of you please explain step by step guide to make the connections please ?

Please help.

Thanks! God Bless!

I use two amps to one set of Khorns. Standby for a photo

Currently only my Emotiva XPA-5 left and right channels are connected to the left (default) side. When my new amp arrives it will go on the right (switched) side. The center connections are to the speakers. I program my triggers to change amps. I have used this setup for several years.

Niles switch.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I use two amps to one set of Khorns. Standby for a photo

Currently only my Emotiva XPA-5 left and right channels are connected to the left (default) side. When my new amp arrives it will go on the right (switched) side. The center connections are to the speakers. I program my triggers to change amps. I have used this setup for several years.

Niles switch.jpg

I use this switch as well. I believe it's a little more robust than most speaker switches. It can handle up to 600 watts.

Zero noise, zero failure to switch. I have the triggers delayed thru my Harmony remote. I have used this and the Niles AC-3 when older McIntosh amps when they had no trigger input.The Global Cache box triggered this over my network and the spare Wii power supply had plenty of hummp.

Golbal Cache Board.jpg

For the last 20 years or so, i have always had 2 independent systems sharing my main speakers. Whether it was integrated tube amps or the playing with digital T-amps or the like.  The way I have done it is each amp has its own speaker wires with banana plugs. I just swap them out behind each speaker depending on my interest at the time. They are also different wire so there is no confusion as to what is plugged in. 

DSCF1113.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Connecting two amps to the speaker is a potential danger. 

I've often wondered what the danger is IF either amplifier is not on at the same time... and both amplifiers have different pre's and sources?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Connecting two amps to the speaker is a potential danger.  To do it correctly , use a switch box. https://www.amazon.com/Niles-Black-FG00003-Amplifier-Selector/dp/B00006HOFR

Niles DPS1 Black (FG00003) Amplifier/Speaker A-B Selector

Thank you derrickdj1 - the most widely supported idea seems to be what you have proposed - unless I want both the amps to be "on" simultaenously and use the pre-out connectivity to connect both. Clearly thats not what I want.

Amazon also have a unit called Niles ABS1 Black (FG00271) Speaker Level A-B Switcher - which automatically switches the amps and audio - I guess - but I would rather stick with manually operated one.

On the Niles DSP-1 - that I have just ordered online, the connections - seems to follow a different codings - would you be able to explain how to go about this ? A picture is attached along.

Thanks again guys - fantastci support - much appreciated!

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, Schu said:

I've often wondered what the danger is IF either amplifier is not on at the same time... and both amplifiers have different pre's and sources?

As long as both amps are not on, very little danger.  I accidentally forgot that one amp was still on and cut the second one on.  I blew a fuse in one of the amps.  This is a good way to fry a tweeter also.  A switcher will make sure the speakers never get double power.  I singed up for an Amazon card and got the Niles switcher for $39.  That was a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

Thanks again - let me ask you one more question please. With the switch - I persume having both amp simulaenously on should not cause any problem (although that is not the intention). Could I keep the "analogue" connection from one amp (PMA1520)  as primary while also maintain the digital optical connection from the other (AVRX4200)with the CD player ?

Could this cause any issue ?

Thanks

• 1 year later...