Mike's Haunted House Returns

USNRET

Welcome to the new season of this madly popular series. Please get the popcorn and tune in.

My two kids' bedroom outlets are on the same arc protected 20 amp circuit breaker.

Turning on a vacuum cleaner that is plugged in to my daughter's room immediately trips the breaker. 4 outlets available, 2 behind furniture unused , untried.

This does not happen in the boy's room on the same circuit. Hair dryer / curling iron and any other girls stuff does not trip the breaker.

At first I assumed weak breaker but eliminated that because son's room doesn't act that way.

Inspected the 2 accessible outlets, loosen /tightened connections. No help.

If there is an arc fault occurring in the circuit to the daughter's room, the standard breaker may solve the breaker tripping, but could cause a hazardous situation if left as-is.  I would check all junctions in the circuit for loose connections, nails puncturing the insulation, etc.

I had a similar situation in a bathroom outlet (which had a GFCI outlet that did not trip). Since I could not isolate and fix the source of the suspected arc fault (even with the help of a licensed electrician friend), I disconnected the outlet from that circuit and ran a new wire from a junction box that I could access.  This eliminated the tripping problem and (hopefully) eliminated any potential electrical fire hazard.