Mc MEN220 in the chain

USNRET

Yep, I heard it loud and clear that adding stuff takes away pureness.

I have a cavernous living room, dining room, kitchen, entryway, game room open everywhere with 22' ceiling and no corners for the KHorns. It is what it is.

Speakers are about 14' apart with enclosed backs and all the equip stuff and 2 dual 15" driver subs in between the speaks. 48 sq ft of room treatments behind the speakers.  After some eh, adjustments by swapping out the AK-5s with AA crossovers (I didn't find the stock AK-5s to my liking at all, zip, no way. Defective / me who knows?) and then finding that I had mis-wired a driver during the network swap I was thrilled with the sound. Wide sound stage, pin point center and enough bass with the enclosed backs that I was questioning whether or not to leave will enough alone or not. Sure I would.

I bought a McIntosh MEN220 room correction device and plugged her in this afternoon. Easy enough since I have played with other pre-pro / AVR on board software. Run thru it once and now I get it. I decided to just go full range to the KHorns (MEN220 is a very powerful / adaptable eq, delay, voicing, yada yada device) and not incorporate any sub at this first pass.

I went with the 220 between pre-amp and amp simply because it was easier than going thru the pre-amp's menu to add in the processor loop on the inputs.

Set mic up at ear level where you want your sweet spot to be (be reasonable, center, point at plane between speakers) hit the remote. Focus position 1 set.

FP1 in memory. Moved mic around room at varying height (I went from ear height, 2' from floor, 12' from floor, positioning around room point mic up and toward 'bounce' walls) and initiated a tone burst. This is not a white noise, it is tones increasing in frequency. At each position the 220 displays "room knowledge percentage" at end of measurement and asks if you want more. I went something like 56%, 58%, 66%, 74%, 88% and then 99% learned.

At this point I added a second "focus position" on the bride's end of the sofa. By remote you can select up to 4 focus positions, global (sorta best all over) and bypass removing any change to signal.

Con: The MEN220 is not cheap.

Con: to some folks: It adds another device in the signal path.

I LOVE THE RESULT! High, wide, depth and center it's all there.

Two snaps up in Z formation.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Very happy for you! If it wasn't so damn expensive I would buy one in a heartbeat…

Jim I would never have paid the MSRP even with the improvement it made. I found a pristine one shipped for 1/2 price. Hard to find and they go quickly. Search and grab one my bud! Sweet spot is not made that much wider but the sweet spot depth is such that I can put two bar stools behind my spot on the couch and all three are fantastic.

With your Mc pieces the looks wouldn't match at all if you care. I decided to go with 'modern' this time around so the 220 fits in. I hope to take down the racks tomorrow, again, to fit it a little better.

• Moderators

Didn't know what it really was, had to go look, very nice. It looks to be exactly what you needed, especially with your space. Your not kidding about the price, but they don't make anything low priced, glad it's doing what you wanted.

BTW, any interested folks: I have since learned that there are some serial numbers that need to be figured into the equation. Lower ones had balanced output issues (don't know what those are), middle good to go, later had better DAC conversion (rumored).  This does A/D/A. Takes analog input converts to digital for processing and then back to analog output. If you put it in the tape monitor or "processor loop" you can take the unit OUT of the picture. When the MEN220 is plumbed between the pre and amp (me) selecting BYPASS still does A/D/A just with no processing.  My S/N fits the middle road and I still be loving it.

Audioaficionado.org has a very long thread about the serial number issue.  I have even heard McIntosh switched the chipset in the later issues.  Couple of us here use to own these.

28 minutes ago, jwc said:

Audioaficionado.org has a very long thread about the serial number issue.  I have even heard McIntosh switched the chipset in the later issues.  Couple of us here use to own these.

That is where I learned of the S/N thing. When time is available I will plug in the subs and play with that but for now I am good; sure helps my room. I even invested $$$$.$ in a couple of box set 2 channel SACDs to give those a try; arriving Saturday.

and since some here USED to own one pray tell why not now. For info purposes for me and others considering; you won't hurt my feelings.

Item #

Qty Ordered

Qty Shipped

Description

CAPB SRVBOX SA

Stevie Ray Vaughan/ SACD

CAPP NJBOX SA

Norah Jones/ Box Set/ 6 SACDs