heresy 3 and cheap receiver

lotech

7 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

For that size room and Heresys I would recommend finding an old H/K 430 twin-powered receiver in good working condition.  It was the largest selling receiver in the world while it was in manufacture for a reason.  Its twin power supplies and ultra-wide-band frequency response (4-140,000 hz) belie is RATED power output of 25 WPC both channels driven...those twin power supplies mean that complex musical passages will not be starving one channel to feed a second channel...this means that those watts used sound like MUCH MORE than a relatively diminutive 25 WPC rating...and for your music types and source material it would be ideal.  It also has a great tuner section.

These receivers are OLD, having been made in the early to mid-1970's.  Even the one you find may need re-capping, it is not so "busy under the hood" that it will take much labor cost to have that done, and all the parts are still available.

These receivers have gained in popularity over the last decade or so, and the asking price has gone up, but you can still find them in great condition for under 150 bucks!...often WAY UNDER 150 bucks!

The only down-side is that you will not have remote control capability for the receiver, itself.

If you desire pre-amp-out/amp-in connectivity to use the unit for its amp-only with external pre-amp with tuner, you should opt for the 630, 730 or 930 model, instead, because those models have that capability.  The 930 has the BEST TUNER of all of them. Each of those also has more power output, but in that room 25 WPC is more than enough for Heresys.  Of course, the 930 is the top of the line for that series and will be priced accordingly.

HK-ad1.png

agree on a wonderful sounding receiver. very warm. tames down the sometimes harsh tones of compression horns. as mentioned it's low wpc rating isn't really accurate since it has substantial headroom. 75-80wpc on dynamics would not surprise me. maybe more

On Monday, April 03, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Peter P. said:

You will not hear any difference with a different receiver driving your speakers. As long as the receiver is not being driven beyond its rating (you'll know it when you hear it), you're good. Sounds like you're not listening to rap, trance, or other high bass demand music, at live levels. You're good as is.

2 minutes ago, racebum said:

if you actually believe this you may have to realize that you are more tonally unaware or tone deaf than many of us on this board

there is an ENORMOUS difference between the sound of sony, pioneer, marantz, denon, Yamaha

And H/K "X" 30 series I might add...Sony has never had anything to compare...ANYTHING!  EVER!

1 minute ago, racebum said:

yamaha can't figure out how to reproduce a midrange to save their life.

Are we talking cheap stereo receivers only or the whole Yamaha lineup?

I ask because the Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp I have owned for over two years has one of the most defined and detailed midrange I have ever experienced.

Bill

1 minute ago, HDBRbuilder said:

And H/K "X" 30 series I might add...Sony has never had anything to compare...ANYTHING!  EVER!

if we're talking older, sure, vintage HK and citation is wonderful.  the only modern HK that peaked my interest was the HK990

i hate seeing what happened to that brand. pre y2k harman kardon was SUCH a great mid level brand 

7 minutes ago, willland said:

Are we talking cheap stereo receivers only or the whole Yamaha lineup?

I ask because the Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp I have owned for over two years has one of the most defined and detailed midrange I have ever experienced.

Bill

was thinking the cheap lower end receivers when i made that comment. i'm sure their upper level gear is still really good. company has a great music history but their 200-500 dollar receivers just don't have balls and are very flat. one that comes to mind is an aventage a740. set that up for a friend last year. he likes the features but god. i could never get it to sound right vs a similar marantz. it just had no dynamic headroom 

8 minutes ago, racebum said:

if we're talking older, sure, vintage HK and citation is wonderful.  the only modern HK that peaked my interest was the HK990

i hate seeing what happened to that brand. pre y2k harman kardon was SUCH a great mid level brand 

Pretty simple what happened...it decided to become a conglomerate...or part of one...and it suffered for it.  Too many brands under one roof...so the R&D monies went to the brand that needed to strengthen sales...while other brands UNDER THE ROOF had to rest on historical laurels!  When the money flows in based upon AVR multi-channel sales, the R&D money doesn't go into quality mono or stereo stuff anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Pretty simple what happened...it decided to become a conglomerate...or part of one...and it suffered for it.

this is happening to so much of the audio world. people are all about features and sound quality becomes a secondary concern. it's really bad in car audio now. i'm doing a setup in my 4runner and having a terrible time finding a deck that can rival a ten year old eclipse that i have on a shelf. the pre out stage is just terrible with one of the new pioneers that i tried. higher end alpine is likely going to be what i try next. hopefully they still have some of what they use to. the amps sound fine. speakers are fine but god these feature packed decks....all the money is in features 

1 minute ago, racebum said:

but their 200-500 dollar receivers just don't have balls and are very flat

Never heard them but did have in my possession for a few weeks a vintage beast CR-2040 and it was just shy of remarkable.  I sold it for my neighbor to a forum member but was very tempted to buy it myself.:o

Bill

Yamaha CR-2040 front.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, willland said:

Never heard them but did have in my possession for a few weeks a vintage beast CR-2040 and it was just shy of remarkable.  I sold it for my neighbor to a forum member but was very tempted to buy it myself.:o

Bill

this isn't even the same world as their new stuff. if you ever get a chance, try one of their 2017 receivers, just listen to it. the only similarity between what you pictured and one of those are the letters yamaha on the front. they lost the sonic mojo of yesteryear 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I love the X series, I love the way this thing sounds, HK 930 on the Cornwalls with the just an old cd player connected.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, racebum said:

this isn't even the same world as their new stuff. if you ever get a chance, try one of their 2017 receivers, just listen to it. the only similarity between what you pictured and one of those are the letters yamaha on the front. they lost the sonic mojo of yesteryear 

I would think most of the new models lost that sound, but has so many features you will not use most of them. I wouldn't trade the old 930 for a brand new model if they gave me $50.

1 hour ago, racebum said:

Check out this comparison.  Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjAZz7NOK0

Bill

5 hours ago, dtel said:

I would think most of the new models lost that sound, but has so many features you will not use most of them. I wouldn't trade the old 930 for a brand new model if they gave me $50.

100% agree with you at least when you look at what you can buy for the cost of what the older ones sell for used. new and HQ is $$

4 hours ago, willland said:

Check out this comparison.  Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjAZz7NOK0

Bill

i think that's what it's all about. nice stuff exists you just won't get it cheap. that new 2100 is built extremely well. one of these days i'm going to buy an HK 990 and try that. it's suppose to be a top contender in the under $1000 used price bracket for newer integrated. 

as for yamaha, i don't think they make a receiver built like that new 2100. listening to his review and looking at the internals that's a really nice amplifier as is the 1978 model 

ps i recapped that adcom 5300 you sent me last month. the AC line noise was drastically reduced. kind of surprised me actually 

1 hour ago, racebum said:

as for yamaha, i don't think they make a receiver built like that new 2100.

They sure don't, and not too many do.  Stereo receivers, with only a couple of exceptions, take a back seat and don't have near the build quality that their integrated amp counterparts.

Bill

14 hours ago, willland said:

Bill

Yamaha CR-2040 front.jpg

Yes! It's MINE... ALL MINE I TELL YA!

This sounded good untouched but you could hear some grain that I heard before from another old Yamaha that was needing recapped.

Cabinet is on my bench waiting for new veneer... the rest is waiting patiently at Many Moons for a complete rebuild.  The face plate cleaned up to 99.9% perfect condition!

Pictures will be provided.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, racebum said:

for some reason i confused you with usnret...i have no excuse for that one :) my bad

You are not the first to forget folks you have dealt with and most likely not the last.

I was about to complain that you have not sent the $$$ yet.:o;):P

Bill

• Like 1