Duratex & Speakon; La Scala, Heresy & TH subs

1 hour ago, rockhound said:

So you sanded the boxes down and taped off the drivers? What are going to do to the motorboard?

The motorboard is flat black with the Velcro dots for the grills.  See the photos at page 4 of the thread.  I plan to tape the inside edges on the front to keep the Duratex off the motorboard.  After the Duratex is applied, I'll remove the blue tape, clean up the sanding dust, and be done.

The Duratex, Speakon, and spring loaded handles will give the band road warrior look my son wants.  Despite that, he plans to use the grills most of the time.

The edges of the cabinet were hit with a router with a round-over bit.  That plus the Duratex will make for a much more durable speaker.  The hard edges and corners on Herseys are not conducive to a millennial's multiple moves lifestyle.

9 hours ago, rockhound said:

Watching closely as I just picked up a beater set of heresy's that I'm thinking about duratexting to match the two Anarchy subs I built.

You know my vote.  Please post a thread with photos.

The directions on the Duratex gallon bucket are minimalist.  There are more detailed instructions regarding drying time, etc. on the Parts Express site.  I was pleased to read that priming is not necessary when covering bare wood, drywall spackle or Bondo.  I was concerned about the abundance of Bondo on the Heresys, but no longer.  

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

You know my vote.  Please post a thread with photos.

The directions on the Duratex gallon bucket are minimalist.  There are more detailed instructions regarding drying time, etc. on the Parts Express site.  I was pleased to read that priming is not necessary when covering bare wood, drywall spackle or Bondo.  I was concerned about the abundance of Bondo on the Heresys, but no longer.  

I have used Duratex right over Bondo and bare wood with excellent results. I do actually use a primer on MDF. It is probably a good idea to seal this material but the main reason I do is that it is sooooo smooth that I have trouble getting a consistent texture due to the roller slipping on the surface. Not a big deal but is my normal course of action now.

bb2.thumb.jpg.7def83687e6746dd76f967a0778b37f6.jpg

• Like 1

You've got to seal the MDF with something.  I used Bondo before primer/paint/clear, only at the seams though, but I just found a seam pop on the top of the cab.  Need to leave the Bondo a little thicker than I did before.  Hard to see unless your right on top of it.  When I build the next one I plan to do things a little differently.  I posted this pic before, but here it is again.

IMG_20170519_151955_246.thumb.jpg.b3577c54977a324c410c7cd738eb42f4.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The band director threw me a curve.  Band camp starts Thursday, but I want the La Scalas Saturday for the reunion.  My son's Heresy will keep him happy until next week.  Although still sporting Bondo and blue tape,  the Hersesy will be delivered tomorrow to fill in through the weekend.

To be sure they work, albeit somewhat cosmetically challenged, I'm enjoying a Royal Oak Brewing IPA and Clapton Unplugged, in a hi-res Pono edition.  The Heresy sound spectacular outside.  After auditioning these for a few days, I predict the band director will want a pair of Heresy for outdoor use during band practices.

Contrary to what I told @MookieStl, The plan now is to Duratex the motorboards, as well as the exteriors.  These heretical Heresy will look good in their faux road warrior livery.  Photos of the finished La Scalas and Heresys will be posted eventually.

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockhound said:

I like it I just ordered the duratex today along with some metal grills, going with a red a black theme for mine.

I look forward to seeing the results.  I love Duratex, now that I know to read the directions.

The freshly Duratexed La Scalas are loaded on their edges in a Ford Side . . . . . . I mean, on their sides in a Ford Edge.  Actually, they're on their faces.  The 50th HS reunion is tomorrow.  There is sufficient redundancy to guarantee music.  In addition to the Wiener TPA3118 Class D chip amp, there is a TDA7297 chip amp and a restored h/k 430.  The source will be my Pono player with a laptop as backup.

20170728_160405 (Medium).jpg

20170728_160337 (Medium).jpg

The 50th reunion was a success.  The '64-'67 playlist was well received.  Schlepping the La Scalas was, mostly, a waste of time; sort of like casting pearls before swine.

This was intended to be a dress rehearsal for the 50th reunion of Frankenmuth HS (in 3 weeks) which was what originally prompted this project.  In that respect it was a success.

I spoke with my friend from Frankenmuth this morning to discuss the lessons learned yesterday, which are:

• The primary purpose of a reunion should be conversation;
  • When ~75 people are gathered in a space large enough to accommodate ten tables of eight, the ambient sound makes conversations difficult;
  • That is exacerbated when ~37.5 have hearing aids and ~37.5 need hearing aids;
  • Adding background music exacerbates it further; and
  • There is a disconnect between the vague notion of wanting to hear and enjoy the music of one's youth, and the reality of doing that in a large group while trying to converse.

Upon arrival, I fired up the boombox to listen to music while placing the La Scalas. With only the half dozen people setting up, the background music and speach were compatible.  Converting to the LaScalas at low volume was fine.  As the guests arrived, the ambient noise level rose and created an incompatibility of conversation and music.

A decision was made to relocate the La Scalas to a barn right next to the main venue.  The barn was perfect as a place where those inclined to dance and enjoy the music at a volume that made conversation difficult, could do so without disturbing those who wanted to converse.  By the time the party of geriatrics began to wind down at ~9:30 pm, the total number of dancers all night could be counted on your fingers.  A group collected just outside the barn door to listen to the the music, but at a distance which, without the high ambient noise floor of a confined space, did not preclude conversations.

While the La Scalas played relatively loudly in the essentially empty barn, the boombox provided background music in the primary space.

The La Scalas return to Seaholm HS tomorrow.  The substitute Heresy pair will be collected to conclude the cosmetic update.  With the lessons learned, both the boombox and Heresy pair will be taken to the Frankenmuth reunion.  To the extent possible, separate spaces will be established; one for conversation, and one for music appreciation.  More than Heresy is unnecessary.

Six people playing cards could listen to music; 60+ people reminiscing can't enjoy music and converse at the same time.

The attached photos show the Duratex and handles.  I'd still like a second copper Klisch nameplate.  While a matching laser plate would be nice, any copper plate would identify these as Klipsch to the hundreds of students who will experience them over the next decades.

If anyone has one, please let me know what you need to part with it.  @Budman @MookieStl

image.jpegeed to 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

You might check with a trophy shop and ask if they could make you a couple to replaced a lost one/damaged. They could do it on brass.

They may decline as it is company logo, but showing pics of the cabs may be enough to convince them.

Bruce

• Like 2

Before I return these to the HS tomorrow, I redid all the connections on the networks with dielectric grease.   Since the networks are somewhat sealed inside the top hats, due to bass reflex mod, it seemed important to confirm the connections.  They should now provide trouble free operation long after I'm gone.

The 1st photo makes it hard tell what you're looking at.  The port plate, visible in the 2nd photo, on the back of the speaker lying on its face with the top toward the camera, was removed to gain access to the network attached to the underside of the top.   I removed the K55 and took down the network.  On the second one, I stood the speaker upside down and redid the connections easily with the network in place.

FYI, you can see the opening into the doghouse to the right in the dark opening.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, DizRotus said:
  •  

The attached photos show the Duratex and handles.  I'd still like a second copper Klisch nameplate.  While a matching laser plate would be nice, any copper plate would identify these as Klipsch to the hundreds of students who will experience them over the next decades.

If anyone has one, please let me know what you need to part with it.  @Budman @MookieStl

Got ya covered Diz. PM an address and I will send you a nameplate.

AK.thumb.JPG.de8e2c30e9e133480fbe3b3ddd5c7d60.JPG

• Like 3

Cool.  The band director and I thank you.  PM coming.

Yesterday, when we returned the La Scalas and collected the Heresy pair, students and faculty rejoiced at the return of "the speakers."  They get used everyday, exposing young people to the power and sound of horn-loaded Klipsch.

• Like 2

A public thank you to @MookieStl for a Klipsch badge.  Now decades of musicians will know the speakers they enjoy are Klipsch.

Any personal experience with adhering a copper badge to Duratex?  Mookie used Loctite Power Grab Clear to glue a badge to Duratex with good results.

• Like 1

The cavities for the handles are done.  Brain fade on the first effort.  The patch indicates the rectangular cutout was 90 degrees off.  Fortunately I happen to have some scrap 1/2" Baltic birch lying around.  Cut the patch on the band saw and used Tite-Bond and screws to attach.  A little Bondo covered by Duratex and the goof will disappear.  

The cutouts for the handles are ~ 1/2" deep.  The plan is to cut a rectangle from the grey foam to trap and compress under the handle to eliminate the possibility of noises from that area.

handle 2.JPG

handle 1.jpg

• Like 1

The Heresys are ready for primer.  There are so many bare wood spots, I'll shoot primer and then roll Duratex.  The motorboards and backs don't need primer, so they're taped off for now.  The one on the left shows the front; the one on the right is facing the other way.

IMG_0148.JPG

• Like 1

My son's faux-pro Heresy pair are nearing completion.  First primer and then the first coat of Duratex.  They should be ready to travel to a party on Saturday.  It will be a dress rehearsal for my friend's 50th HS reunion.

Duratex.jpg

primer.jpg

The Duratex is mostly done.  I may also do the backs and motorboards in Duratex, but not before these are pressed into duty at a party on Saturday.  The grey foam rectangle will fill the space between the backs of the handles and the remaining plywood beneath the cutout.

IMG_0300 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1