What is the difference between the R7II and the R7III

skip

So I see the R7III are now on preorder for $1800 each. I was reading and couldn't really find a difference between the two. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I see the R7II are $1279 until December 5th. I keep saying I was going to buy a set of the R7II but once I heard the R7III were coming out I decided to wait to see if the wait was worth it. So is the R7III worth the extra $521 each? That is another thousand dollars when you buy the pair.

Not to be cheeky, but if you read the Klipsch page on the RF-7III, they pretty much lay out what is new.  In addition to these things, I'm sure the crossover is a bit different as well.  Probably the biggest change is the molded-rubber horn with circular throat.

• All-New 1 3/4" Titanium Compression Driver

The compression driver features a new phase plug design to improve phase coherency at the throat of the horn, resulting in improved sound pressure linearity at high frequencies.

• 90x90 Compressed Molded-Rubber Tractrix Horn

The redesigned Tractrix Horn utilizes a circular horn throat paired to a square horn mouth to further improve high-frequency response and extension, while enhancing imaging and dynamics. The compressed molded rubber construction adds high frequency damping to reduce harshness and improve detail. This creates the cleanest, most natural sound possible.

• Redesigned Bifurcated Cabinet

The RF-7 III new bifurcated enclosure allows each 10” driver and port to work independently from the other. This improves the linearity of both drive systems, and minimizes standing wave problems inside the cabinet that can cause frequency anomalies in the sensitive midrange frequencies.

• Dual Tractrix Ports

Utilizing Tractrix geometry, the new RF-7 III ports allow for the most efficient air transfer from the cabinet — for the cleanest, most powerful low frequency response on the market.

20 minutes ago, bkevind said:

Not to be cheeky, but if you read the Klipsch page on the RF-7III, they pretty much lay out what is new. 

Those are the technical differences, but in real life, "how is the sound different" is the question.

Being a bit cheeky here, does the RF-7 III sound $1000 better than the RF-7 II?  :P

• Like 1

Well the reason why I asked because when I looked at the floor standing speakers page. In the little box it says about the R7III having new titanium 1 3/4 horn. Yet the older R7II says basicly the same thing just in a different way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skip said:

In the little box it says about the R7III having new titanium 1 3/4 horn. Yet the older R7II says basicly the same thing just in a different way.

Now arguing for the other side...;)...

It has been my experience that making a little change makes a little difference.  When you add all the little differences together you really can get a significantly better sound.  Klipsch is on record as saying they have been listening to their customers, and I believe them. 

When you add in the engineering genius of the chief designer Roy Delgado, even though I haven't heard them, I absolutely believe the III will be the best sounding RF-7 ever.  EDIT:  It has come to my attention Roy was NOT the lead engineer.  I apologize for my mistake.

I would suggest you listen to both if you can, and let your ears be your guide.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Now arguing for the other side...;)...

It has been my experience that making a little change makes a little difference.  When you add all the little differences together you really can get a significantly better sound.  Klipsch is on record as saying they have been listening to their customers, and I believe them. 

When you add in the engineering genius of the chief designer Roy Delgado, even though I haven't heard them, I absolutely believe the III will be the best sounding RF-7 ever.

I would suggest you listen to both if you can, and let your ears be your guide.

The lead engineer on these is a guy in Indianapolis named Chris. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bkevind said:

Redesigned Bifurcated Cabinet

Had to look that one up.......

bifurcated

Anything that is divided into two parts can be described as bifurcated. The tips of snakes’ tongues are bifurcated so that they can detect slight differences between scents on their left and right sides while probing the territory ahead.

The verb bifurcate comes from the Latin word bifurcus, meaning “two-forked.” Bifurcated describes anything that is divided in two: when a road splits into two diverging directions — known as “a fork in the road” — the road is bifurcated. The human brain is often described as bifurcated because the right hemisphere controls movement of the left side of the body while he left hemisphere controls most language and movement of the right side of the body.

• Like 1