When Do You Decorate For Christmas?

Ceptorman

A good question giving rise to the sentimental and technical.

When I was a lad on Long Island dad and I would work on outdoor lights on Thanksgiving weekend.  Just before there was much chance of snow.

Now I'm in an apartment / condo.  I've got artificial wreath on the door at the elevator bay for all to see.  The hall is otherwise drab. I got some kudos from fellow dwellers.

The lights are two sets from Walgreens powered by two AA cells each originally.  I soldered in some two D cell s for each.  Going 24-7 they last for about five weeks.

This is good because folklore has it that decorations should be taken down on Little Christmas.  Otherwise, to avoid bad luck, you have to keep them up for the rest of the year.  That is about when the batteries dim out.

Smile,

WMcD

• Like 3

Thank you kindly. The little statue thing is a novelty toy type thing called a Mensch on a Bench. It was put out a few years ago as a joke response to the Elf on Shelf phenomenon. It surprised everybody and ended up selling like hot cakes - and still does beleive it or not. It was a gag gift from a guy at work. The wife has named him Morty.

• 6 years later...
On 12/24/2017 at 4:59 AM, YK Thom said:

Thank you kindly. The little statue thing is a novelty toy type thing called a Mensch on a Bench. It was put out a few years ago as a joke response to the Elf on Shelf phenomenon. It surprised everybody and ended up selling like hot cakes - and still does beleive it or not. It was a gag gift from a guy at work. The wife has named him Morty.  g

That's hilarious! Morty sounds like a fun addition to your home. It's amazing how those novelty items can catch on unexpectedly. It's great that he brings some humor into your space. Enjoy having Morty around!