RF 7 II/RF 7 III/Forte III

Sjsooner

42 minutes ago, mprowland said:

I guess it goes to show you that speakers need to be heard for one's self.  Based on the forums here alone, I would have EASILY bought the Forte III's over the RF-7 II's.  I just got back(10 minutes ago) from listening to both the Forte III's and the RF-7 II's.  Both speakers were on quality tube pre-amp/amps.  There were 3 of us listening and all 3 of of us picked the RF-7 II's...hands down.  The Forte's sounded good, but not nearly as good as the RF-7 II's AND the Forte's were $1000 more!  When it up comes to the upper echelon of Klipsch, convincing someone that one is better than the other is like trying to convince someone that vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate.  I would be happy with either though. 

So true, you need to audition the speakers!  The Reference  7 speakers sounds incredible.

1 hour ago, mprowland said:

I guess it goes to show you that speakers need to be heard for one's self.  Based on the forums here alone, I would have EASILY bought the Forte III's over the RF-7 II's.  I just got back(10 minutes ago) from listening to both the Forte III's and the RF-7 II's.  Both speakers were on quality tube pre-amp/amps.  There were 3 of us listening and all 3 of of us picked the RF-7 II's...hands down.  The Forte's sounded good, but not nearly as good as the RF-7 II's AND the Forte's were $1000 more!  When it up comes to the upper echelon of Klipsch, convincing someone that one is better than the other is like trying to convince someone that vanilla ice cream is better than chocolate.  I would be happy with either though.            

RF-7II's would have taken a back seat to Fortes at my place.  We heard them back to back in Hope and I wouldn't have picked the RF-7II's.  I think the midrange can sound "shouty" plus they're a little bright.  I believe most of the things I nitpicked the RF-7II's about have been fixed in the RF-7III's.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mprowland said:

Very interesting.

have mentioned this elsewhere that it too bad that Klipsch will not make a two channel version of the RF7 as opposed to the current HT version. A two channel version could be a 2.5 way rather than a 2 way that would give you a ten inch mid and ease the workload of the horn would overall push close to the same amount of air as a Forte does. There are options but I guess they feel that stereo is dead or dying.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, moray james said:

have mentioned this elsewhere that it too bad that Klipsch will not make a two channel version of the RF7 as opposed to the current HT version. A two channel version could be a 2.5 way rather than a 2 way that would give you a ten inch mid and ease the workload of the horn would overall push close to the same amount of air as a Forte does. There are options but I guess they feel that stereo is dead or dying.

I guess I'm confused or missed something but the only thing different about that would be that the bottom woofer wouldn't have mids.  I'm not sure how that would ease the workload of the horn or be better for music or increase how much air the woofers are pushing.  These things are killer on a 2-channel system, I've reluctantly said multiple times that I preferred them over the Fortes for rock.  They really surprised me.  I did not think that the midrange sounded shouty, kick drums were really powerful and tight, and the horn isn't bright anymore, I love the things for 2-channel.  

1 hour ago, moray james said:

A two channel version could be a 2.5 way rather than a 2 way that would give you a ten inch mid and ease the workload of the horn

I asked that question to a Klipsch engineer(not sure who it was) but about the RF-63.  All threw 6.5" woofers operating up to about 800Hz and then just one to about the 2100Hz and then on to the 1.25" compression driver.  He agreed it was possible but still somewhat complicated getting the crossovers just right while still keeping them affordable.

Bill

I definitely will have to listen to all 3. I love my RF-82’s,  so I’m sure  all 3 will sound great. I love how the walnut and cherry veneers look on the front of the RF-7’s. I have a R-115SW in the closet too waiting for our house where I can use it.

Edited by Sjsooner
  • Like 1