Klipschorn Recommendations

Holyduck

I just picked up a pair of Klipschorn's as an early Christmas gift and am unprepared in the amp department. My setup will primarily be using vinyl/CDs/PC but I would also like the option to run hdmi in for movies etc. Budget is under 1k, the lower the better. I have a phono preamp for the turntable that can be upgraded later. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1335.JPG

Edited by Holyduck
  • Like 1

I would have to recommend getting a stereo receiver (or separates) for your khorns over getting an AVR (audio video receiver). I have a higher end denon AVR hooked up to an external 100 watt per channel amp and my khorns sounded lifeless. With a simple stereo receiver, they are full of life.

• Thanks 1

Here's an entire thread on the general subject of "what sounds good with Klipsch loudspeakers":

Note that there are as many opinions as there are brands and models of amplifiers.  In general, I'd avoid older solid state amplifiers from the 1960s-1980s, and inexpensive "home theater in a box" Class D amplifiers from the 1990s-2000s.  Additionally, I've found that many people assign blame to amplifiers that really should be assigned to where you've placed your Khorns in-room and how you've arranged absorption/diffusion.  See the following thread for a discussion of those topics:

Chris

Khorns love tubes.  Right now in this Forum's Garage Sale section are two great choices.  A fully restored Scott 299a and for a bit above your budget, a Blueberry Extreme.  Both would work great with your system, and you could pick up a standard receiver down the road for movies etc.

Just so you know NosValves, who did the restoration on the Scott is one of finest technicians around and a master of the 60's era Scott line of amps.

• Thanks 1

Tube amps are gonna sound the best with Klipsch horn loaded speakers for sure, but the Yamaha ss natural sound amps sound very nice on Klipsch IMO.    I have an older one from early 2000 era and it sounds real nice with my home brew  Cornwalls and it is a 100w/ch AV amp.     They are very smooth compare to some other ss amps i'v listened to.