Amp for RP-280F, limited

Andrejs_Nikonovs

Hi. yesterday got myself a 280F pair in Piano Black. The sound,.. well, I new it`s going to be good, but i was completely blown away. They sound exactly the way i want! So detailed and transparent, with enormous imaging and space, and botomless bass...AT ANY VOLUME! I paired them with my Denon pma 720ae and Denon DCD 720ae, and i can barely turn it past 11 o'clock not to blow out my eardrums...and windows. // In a speaker shop, salesman told me that my amp is total crap and diagnosed me wright away amp at 700+/- eur price, the way he spec amp for speaker was not by performance, but the price. So now I`m a little confused. Is it really not enough 2x50W at 0.07THD, 20-20KHz at 8ohms.?? my room is 15m2, with 2.5m ceiling. (160ft2, and 7.3foot high). What is your opinion?

• Like 2

Andrejs_Nikonovs,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice speakers and glad you like them.

Don't listen to the salesman, that Denon integrated amp should be fine unless you are trying to fill a huge room with very high volumes and I can see your room is on the small side.

If you ever did feel that the amp section was just not enough, you could add a nice more powerful stereo amp and use the 720AE as a preamp.

Enjoy your setup.

Bill

• Thanks 1

General rule of thumb is to have an amp with higher output than what the speakers are rated for. You can enjoy more of what the speaker has to offer without getting into the limits of the amp and damaging your speakers. On the other hand if you like your current setup and the way it sounds that's great and don't go upgrading because a silvery tongue salesman said so. Just be careful and stay away from the upper end of the volume knob. Your speakers might be able to handle all the watts but the distortion at those high levels will kill them. 

Emotiva A-300? Im listening to gretta van fleet as we speak while the wifes gone and neighbors are gathering with pitch forks so it is working! 150 x 2 is getting the job done nicely. Some like more impressive names on their toys but this amp tickles the crap out of me. Im using the 280fs also.

• Like 1

Well, although you propably won't need to play any louder then what you can now you should know that the Rp280 are pretty good speakers, better than their price point in my oppinion. So i would try something like a nad c375 or something similar. They sound great with that and you should be able to find one cheap. Even a new one that has been marked down because of the C388.

Not saying that it is absolutely necessary. Just saying that you might want to try it out. Maybe borrow a Rotel RA-1572 from a local dealer? 

• 4 years later...

Greetings! 

Just purchased a pair of RP-280F's. They're currently being driven by a STR-ZA2100ES. (with full 7.1 Klipsch loadout) I feel that I'm missing out on the 280's full potential as far as clarity and presence. I am about to purchase a Parasound 2125v2 as an external amp. Any opinions before I pull the trigger? 

Thanks.

13 hours ago, Bytor014 said:

Greetings! 

Just purchased a pair of RP-280F's. They're currently being driven by a STR-ZA2100ES. (with full 7.1 Klipsch loadout) I feel that I'm missing out on the 280's full potential as far as clarity and presence. I am about to purchase a Parasound 2125v2 as an external amp. Any opinions before I pull the trigger? 

Thanks.

Not likely to hear any audible improvement over the excellent Sony IMHO . The 280f’s are very nice, and known for there excellent   extreme clarity . Could your other speakers be muddying up the sound of your 280’s ? Give them a careful listen by themselves in stereo , I seriously doubt that you have a amplifier problem. Good luck sorting things out and welcome to the forum 🤓

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bytor014 said:

Greetings! 

Thanks.

I'm using the same receiver with my Heresys and absolutely love it.

Have you ran the speaker setup with the microphone?  If so, try disabling the room correction and everything that goes along with it.  You should find your speakers to be much more dynamic.

• Like 1