March For Our Lives

jimjimbo

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Oh boy, no comments here but my second countdown of the day --

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3 ------ 

It's my first day back in a while and was only commenting on others post and was sorry that the other thread wasn't only locked but obliterated. 

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Unprecidented unbridled bullying made worse by social media.

I just recently joined FaceBook and anyone who was in the BS Forum must know the irony is incredible....That said, so far my experience at Facebook has been enjoyable and now in my comments to friends I can  bring up to friends that those that  got their news from Facebook and shared with their friends were more than likely manipulated. :mellow:

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:
1 hour ago, USNRET said:

My daughter was / is a victim of this from 4th grade on. You're fat, ugly, stupid, ho' etc

Let's just say that the results of it has been catastrophic

My youngest daughter as well.  It's horrible.   There's no respect for one another at all.  Some kids are so cruel and heartless compounded with uncaring or clueless parents.

This isn't a new phenomena and parents need to find a support group to deal with their individual child/children. I don't mean necessarily a group against bullies but a martial arts class that has been auditioned would be a good start...It's not about the self-defense in the beginning but respecting who they are and what they can achieve.

discipline?

I'd interject that there is no longer an element of accountability - not with children, nor adults.  It seems too many now operate in a vacuum in which morals, integrity, and ethics no longer exist.  So, who is left to enforce "accountability"?  It used to be done by one's self, family, peer group, or social institutions but the fabric of society has become overly tolerant of those that don't live the prim & proper life.  Thugs are nearly worshipped and there is no solution to the issue.  Add in mental instability and bullying backlash and you have the current mess we routinely see.

But, I am highly in favor of FULL & THOROUGH background checks prior to purchase as it serves to again validate, ME, as a responsible buyer / owner / citizen. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, USNRET said:
25 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

It's mostly a breakdown of the family structure, and no real threat of any discipline.

Bullies suck.

I disagree to a point. There is discipline in my home....none at school.

Fwiw, I have worked with children/families on a daily basis since 1979 and every generation has it's faults with a combination of school and parenting and must say, most of it I blame on parenting and some that have children that just have something wrong with them no matter the conscientiousness of either or both. Otoh, this generation has success stories just like prior ones so there is no reason to be pessimistic on the larger picture--We are Americans! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Social media bullying is a relatively new phenomenon.  Just because you had a positive interaction with a couple teens doesn't mean that all is right with the world.   How old are your kids Zen?

Couple of teens? My wife and I have no children but mentor several dozen a week. 

• Like 2

And if you child defends themselves in ANY way they are then guilty. My daughter put her hands up to defend attack and because the aggressor was scratched my daughter was guilty. My wife witnessed the entire event. Same aggressor repeated attacks against others day after day and awarded 3 days of in school suspension. 

My daughter lost athletic eligibility but she is a citizen, other person not so much.

and before you accuse me of racism call and get to know me.

• Like 3

I've maintained the old school of thought - defend yourself at all costs.

My girls were given the full go-ahead VERY early in their schooling to do whatever is necessary to protect themselves - fists only & without weapons of course!

If $h!t hits the fan, then parental intervention with the system, with legal council if necessary would not be out of the question.

The system has gotten to big for their britches mostly because they don't have the solution either - OR is it because they aren't able to be held accountable?

Hmmmm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, USNRET said:

And if you child defends themselves in ANY way they are then guilty. My daughter put her hands up to defend attack and because the aggressor was scratched my daughter was guilty.

I won't get into your personal situation but if as described I would fight that case. 

My wife witnessed the entire event. Same aggressor repeated attacks against others day after day and awarded 3 days of in school suspension. 

Wait. Who did the 3 days of suspension your daughter or the aggressor? 

My daughter lost athletic eligibility but she is a citizen, other person not so much.

I really would like to delve into this in a public way but feel it would get the thread shut down. :mellow: Good luck and it does seem like something isn't right in your situation. 

1 minute ago, Arrow#422 said:

I've maintained the old school of thought - defend yourself at all costs.

My girls were given the full go-ahead VERY early in their schooling to do whatever is necessary to protect themselves - fists only & without weapons of course!

More important is to recognize potential dangerous situations and don't put themselves in those! ;) 

10 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I also have been dealing with this for several years....

And it's getting worse.  My oldest and youngest daughter are 10 years apart.   Social media and cell phone issues are so much worse now than they were when my oldest daughter was a young teen.   Schools had no social media bullying policies when she was in middle school.  Issues several years ago are different than they are today.  You enjoying yourself on facebook has nothing to do with what some children have to endure there.

• Like 1

Aggressor got 3 day ISS (in school suspension) after the THIRD attack against three different students in one week. My  daughter lost athletic eligibility for the year because she "retaliated" by defending herself; nothing more than putting hands up to deflect blows.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

More important is to recognize potential dangerous situations and don't put themselves in those! ;) 

12 year old girl walking from choir practice to Mom's van and another older student runs over and sucker punches her. Did you read the part that said that the older student has a history? Just not PC....no, we will leave that..........obviously my daughter's fault since the other student doesn't speak English and no words were exchanged; in fact my daughter doesn't even know her

3 hours ago, WillyBob said:

They aren't trying to make things worse. not trying.  And let's face it ... what we have been doing, obviously, isn't working.

You're right on the last part.  The problem is cultural, within their age group.  When we were in that age group, we didn't think that way, and things like today's shooting rampages were much rarer.  So, what's different between now and then?  Something has changed.  Is it just a fad, kind of like Elvis Presley and acid (not at the same time, lol)?  Whatever it is, they'll have to change it themselves because there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.