have you heard?

marksdad

hey all of you, i need your serious help, i have been trying to hear klipsch's higher end stuff (heritage) for some time now, but have been unable, my goal is to get 2 to begin with as fronts and than slowely build from there, but i know not how they sound? i currently have an really good klipsch system, and i dearly love them, so out of curiosity i went to 1 of denvers better audio stores and listened to the B&W line, WOW, WOW,WOW, 2 speakers were as everything and more than my reference series? it wasnt acoustic's or arrangement or? what was really unattractive was the price, between 5-12,000 a pair!!! and they are beast's!! upward's of 275 lbs. at the end of my tour i listened to the 800's that had the compatable sub ($3000) it seemed to want to knock the walls down? to be honest i have never heard music sound this 3 dimensional, so sharp, so realistic. i listened to almost everything in the store, and i will say that klipsch blew everything else away, including speakers that costed $10,000 a pair, i am delighted in klipsch, but where can i give the heritage series a listen in my area, i live in a city that has a 2 million headcount (denver, go broncos), why cant i audition heritage? are they secret?8.gif

Also remember that until recently the Heritage series were out of production, and are still now just getting back on their legs. And, IMHO, because of their somewhat retro look, they don't hold the eye appeal that the new stuff does, so retailers may be reluctant to give up showroom space (and inventory $$) for them.

I believe Klipsch was working on a plan to set up listening areas around the country of some kind, but I don't know where that stands.

Jim Cornell may not be too far from you, but it'll take a bit of driving to get there (he's in ID I believe).

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

well it seems that i answered my own questions, i knew that my system could be better, cleaner, more defined, so i looked and looked....... and i finally broke down and sprung for the rotel gear, wow!!!! i had heard that seperates were much better than components, and they were very understated, when i first connected everything, and set the levels and i sat down with a cd i knew pretty well i was absoutly amayzed!!!!! i dont know how to say this without offending, but get rid of your components, and get seperates, when i heard my klipsches for the first time i fell in love, and i now seldomly watch tv, just ht. but it is even worse now, the seperates have brought my listening enjoyment above where i thought it should be, above anything i thought possible, and it is through the same speakers, i was mislead to think that B&W had superior speakers merely because they were pushing them with far greater seperates (martin logan, mark levinson, krell) once i fired up my system i called my sales man and told him nicely that he screwed up, he should have tried harder to sell me those 12,000 speakers first, instead of the electronics (and at a nice discount to keep my interest up!) i told him that my klipsches were at least as good as the B&W's, and that they were a little more detailed, but he was right on 1 count, we buy our electronics around our speakers, and by all i can tell now, my klipsches are still better than my equipment, and that is saying alot, yeah baby!!!!!12.gif

When i bought my RB5s I compared them to B&W 805s.

805s were nice but only a little more depth of soundstage and too mellow on the transients for me.

Now the 803 floor standers were auditioned with all Rotel equipment. I think the Rotel power gave the 805s more slam; but for around $ 5000 as I remember, not a good value. The whole system was around $ 10,000.

You can probably assemble a used Heitage system of equivilant or better performance for far less money.

yup, i think you are right, i want to start with a pair of la scalas for front chanels, and use my reference series as support, if the timbre match is bad than piece by piece i will replace, but i cant really think that there would be that much difference, since the reference would be satelite's and surrounds, i might possible have to trade the rc 7 for an heresy, but i think that all in all i can do at least as good as b&w using heritage12.gif

Marksdad,

DO NOT BUY anything without first hearing. Heritage and Reference are very different sounding from one another. Heritage is more "lively" and Reference is more "refined".

Something to keep in mind is that though the RF5 is a dynamite speaker, it is still basically just an upscale version of the RF3. It uses the same tweeter and the same woofers. The only differences being the RF5 has the larger horn, different crossover point, and wood veneer instead of vinyl.

If you want to approach the dynamics of Heritage, and maintain the refinement and smooth response of Reference -- then I really don't think you should discount the RF7 as an upgrade option.

Deang,

Reference are what? More refined!

Listen I have heard K-Horns,LaScalla and the none less famous Cornwall.I found for example the Cornwalls are more refined then the RF7's.And I own almost the complete R series range for god's sake.

If the R series are not someting is ...being very refined.The Cornwalls did not rip my ears like the Reference(RF7's here).And I did bring my trusty Celeste 4070 power amp for test,as I could not make a just comparison using a tube amp I dont know(tubes make Klipsch,and horns sound more liquid,soften the rough edges).

Well this is my two cents

BTW I compare without wanting to Klipsch R series,Dynauduio Contour and Spendors almost every day.I live with these damn speakers,Spendors and Dynaudios are refined.The R series are too edgy at times.Maybe its the ATI amps! 7.gif

Let me get this straight. The Corwalls being driven by your Celeste -- sounded more refined (less harsh, smoother, laid back), than the RF7s and the Celeste???

Your post gives me pause. I don't know what to think.

Last week I had the RF7's hooked up to the Aragon and thought it was kick butt big time. I was using the AE-3 as a preamp though. It sure didn't rip my ears off like the KLF20's did a year ago at Carlin Audio. The tubes definitely take the edge off, there isn't any question about that.

The sound of the RF7 certainly isn't as "refined" as Dynaudio or Magnepan, but I would definitely think they are more refined in sound than a speaker with a sqawker.

I guess the only way I will ever get to the bottom of all this is to start saving some money, sell a few things off, and get some Heritage into the house.