Suggestions for a first DIY amp project ?

I will be in a neck brace and stove up for 6 weeks minimum  (cervical fusion 2 levels, Labor for 30+ years has done my spine in apparently) I have been tempted for years to build my own amp but sadly lack the experience, knowledge. I have the tools solder station, meter etc...

Looking for what I would call a beginner kit (tube of ss) I would like to end up with a keeper

the directions would need to be beginner type as well, I have my name in on the ACA waiting list but that may be months

Any Suggestions ?

• Sad 1

Hi Joe; sorry to hear you are "laid up" for a while. Yes ... good time to build an amp :D 

Take a look at the Bob Latino amps ...http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm .  I got the VTA ST70 for Xmas last year and it sounds pretty good. (Overall consensus on the forum is mostly "excellent.")  He also has bigger version the VTA ST120 as well as monoblocks.  Plus, Bob's support is AWESOME. I made a mistake ... emailed him pics ... and he solved the problem.

Cheers, Emile

I second the motion on the VTA ST-70 amp as well.  I built one early last year and it was a blast.  I guess it will depend on your budget, too.  What speakers will you be hooking it up to?  I know that 35wpc from the ST-70 runs the Belle's with no trouble at all.

Speedy recovery and healing to you!

are you running a full horn loaded speaker? -  a low powered single ended amp can sound nicer than push pull.  Here's one - you might ask the owners: Does the power transformer run hot?  Is there a bottom plate ? (some low end Chinese amps don't have one) - does it have an accurate schematic and good diagram where everything goes ? Are you sure the output transformers are gapped?  (the core is covered i assume they are properly gapped - the picture in the ad says they are 3K5 primary impedance

with 4 and 8 ohm secondary taps

that 13 watt per channel is some sort of peak rating I think.  The output transformers, although, small should handle the power.

$270 shipped seems reasonable - the inflation calculator says that's about like $34 in 1965 money - i don't think one could have bought that much amplifier then for $34.

update - I see the description does include the bottom plate - tube rectification, CLC filtering, and shipping included seems pretty good for that price.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Class-Single-ended-Amplifier-Stereo/dp/B01N656K6S#customerReviews

and regarding piecing things together,  Edcor offers nice power plus tube output transformers in push pull and single ended variety.  Antec has toroidal power transformers in tube voltages.  I remember a friend who used a toroid power transformer ~25 years ago.  I hooked that transformer up to a full range rectifier, capacitor and dummy load - then near a single ended output transformer hooked to a speaker - no amplifier at all - it made a very loud buzzzzzz with many harmonics.  My friend went ahead and built his push pull amp with Lundahl outputs and placed that toroid right nest to the input tube . . . .

here was a response at Amazon on that tube amp kit

Juan C. Henning answered • 57 mins
Yes, it includes a metal bottom plate with rubber feet. The transformers are well designed and and the diagram, ok, is chinese origin, but understandable.