New Klipschorns, $6,895:

kenratboy

Interesting site. Not authorized to sell Klipsch and they have no clue as to pricing. For example, there is no up charge for lacquer finish on Heritage speakers, lacquer is now the standard finish. Caveat Emptore.

Seriously, why does Klipsch CARE if the speaker is sold unauthorized? I mean, I bought a $900 digital camera (Canon G2) for $650 online. Full US warranty and Canon accepted my warranty registration. Thats $250 in my pocket.

I mean, as long as the customer receives the speakers in the factory sealed boxes, why does it matter? Is it a money thing? I never got the big deal.

KRB, here are a few of the reasons:

1. We care that our customers get proper advice when buying

2. We care that our customers get service after the sale

3. We care that our authorized dealers continue to support Klipsch

4. We care about our long term success in the audio business

5. We care that there be places people can go to audition Klipsch

I could go on, but there is more to this than price alone.

Fancy how we can talk about prices for a new pair of Klipschorns. The problem is we do not know WHEN Klipsch gets their B*TT in gear and start building them???

I've been waiting for close to 16 months on a new pair of Klipschorns from an authorized dealer. Everytime I check the date, it keeps getting bumped ahead another month or so. IMHO what BobG has replied "We care.. blah blah" doesn't ring clear in my books.

Maybe they're too busy flogging the RF series which are not even nearly as close to the performance of the Heritage line of speakers. (price usually dictates that difference).

BQ

well 90%of salesmen at my dealer have not even seen heritage speakers all they say they wont fit in here....come on.PAUL USE TO GO AROUND TO DEALERS WITH HERESEYS.i think my dealer wont carry them because he cant get them or afraid he wont sell other crap he has in the store.this store is big and should have complete line of klipsch......i say open a klipsch only store like bose has to show people what sound really is.....i would love to open a KLIPSCH only store in kc.mo. area.well thanks for letting me blow off steam...lol...rick

"Maybe they're too busy flogging the RF series which are not even nearly as close to the performance of the Heritage line of speakers. (price usually dictates that difference)."

Bull$hit...

...and as I said in another post:

With the exception of the cabinet dimensions, exterior finishes, and the slightly different x-over points in the Scalas -- all three larger Heritage models are identical. Until recently, a pair of Scalas and a pair of RF7's were separated by only $600. Even with the price increase of this past year, I would say the only two reasons for the difference in prices between the RF7 and the larger Heritage is the labor involved in making the cabinets, and the additional crossover components needed to support the third driver.

My point is that in order to make a fair comparison between the bigger Heritage models and Reference -- the comparison should be made with the RF7's.

I believe the RF7's compete head on in many ways.

They put out 75 to 80 percent of the macro-dynamic ability

They put out 110 percent of the micro-dynamic ability

They deliver a smoother frequency response (as opposed to peaky)

They deliver a stable and wide image (as opposed to beamy)

The upper treble is practically flawless (as opposed to "grating")

They are easier to place which aids in proper integration with the listening room

The cones in the RF7 are fabulous. I see no problem with letting the cones handle the fundamentals, and the horn handling the harmonics -- it works.

"We care that there be places people can go to audition Klipsch"

In that case were in Florida can I audition a set of your fine Heritage Product?

I'm not trying to open up a can of flames here just I don't understand how you can market a product with little or no exposure. And yes I'm aware of the past driver dilemma.

Sure we have folks on this board which are located in the Central Florida area which I could open up some type of dialaog with them and maybe set up a chance to visit and listen. That's great but I'm a shy person and quite quiet at times. So that would be an uncomfortable hour or so.

How about a KLIPSCH Hertiage tour you could trailer the Heritage line to supporting audio salons so folks could at least see,hear,feel the hype and possibly purchase.

even do set ups in convention centers of that of course comes from the Legacy folks.

even better just have one audio salon in each state be a "Flagship Klipsch" store.

I will now step off the soapbox.

"Fire at will"

Dean,

Maybe you should try an audition between RF-7 and Klipschorns side by side in the same room. Frequency response for both speakers are day and night different. Not to mention the RF-7 does not use a fully horn loaded woofer enclosure. Belle's themselves don't even sound the same as Klipschorns - they are a bit weak in bass at the low end compared to the corner placement Klipschorns.

I'm not going by word of mouth but rather, speak by experience and i've made many auditions with the RF-7. Quite frankly, they don't have the same sound as the Heritage line of speakers - I thought going to a 2 way dual woofer system is a step back and a cheap way of making speakers. They use differnt compression drivers, different xovers, and drivers.

I'm sick of companies trying to "defy the laws of physics" by producing smaller speakers that claim to be as loud and dynamic as much large speakers. Retailers need to understand that by going to a smaller enclosure with smaller drivers = lower efficiency. Consumers need to understand the difference in SPL between a 500 watt amp and a 1000 watt amp is ONLY a 3dB increase! (but the price tag is 50 - 100% more) I'm not saying the RF series are inefficient, just that when you try to make things say more living room friendly (tiny and cute?), there will be great concessions to sound quality and performance.

The same goes with all these new Class D amps vs. Class A.

BQ

BobG--

Last week I learned from a salesperson at Tweeter (a Klipsch authorized dealer) that Klipsch hasn't made the Heritage line in several years and has no plans to manufacture them in the future. This was after I had explained what the Heritage line is and literally drawn him a picture of a Klipschorn.

Interesting, eh?

Regarding your post above:

From the manufacturer's point of view, Klipsch's stand on authorized dealers is fine. From the other end of the commercial chain--the customer's end--however, the policy isn't working the way Klipsch may think it does:

1. Not many salespeople at authorized Klipsch dealers know much about Klipsch products, sometimes even how to pronounce "Klipsch." I've visited Klipsch's authorized dealers in several large cities in 5 different states for 30 years, and I still haven't found a salesperson even in high-end stores who knows more about Klipsch products than I do (and I don't know a lot). Your customers are very rarely getting the good advice that Klipsch's dealer policy promises.

2. I've never had a problem with any Klipsch speaker that I've owned in the almost 30 years that I've had them. With the possible exception of the Promedia line, I suspect that very few other owners have had problems, either. The better a product is made, the less important a warranty becomes, and Klipsch speakers are made very well. If a speaker does need service, the smartest thing to do is go directly to Klipsch, which is famous for good service.

3. I agree with your comment regarding dealers supporting Klipsch, if I understand it correctly. Bricks and mortar dealers don't like other stores selling the same products for less money and will support manufacturers that try to prevent that from happening. If that's what you mean, then that's a benefit to Klipsch and not to the consumer. After all, Klipsch's customers are its dealers, not the retail buyer. Please note that I'm not saying Klipsch doesn't care about the consumer, because I know it does.

4. I, too, hope that Klipsch is in business for a long time and that it continues to be successful. I think we can agree that the best way to do that is for Klipsch to sell lots of speakers--all kinds of speakers. We can also agree that people just aren't going to buy speakers they can't see or hear. The authorized dealers I have visited during the last few years have almost no Klipsch speakers on the floor, usually one pair, RF-7's usually, that are on display off by themselves and not in the main or secondary listening room where they can be heard properly and compared to other brands. Unless customers visit the Klipsch web site, they won't know the rest of that line of speakers, much less the other Klipsch lines, even exists.

5. See No. 4 above. Customers can't audition Klipsch speakers at the dealer if the dealer won't carry the speakers, and folks won't buy them if they can't hear or see them. The day I go into a Klipsch authorized dealer and see a pair of speakers from the Heritage line on display (even if they aren't hooked up), I'll eat my hat.

In short, your authorized dealers aren't doing what Klipsch's policy assumes they're doing. If customers aren't receiving the benefits of buying from an authorized dealer, then those benefits, in effect, don't exist, and all the customer is left with is the price. He doesn't get the advantages he's supposed to under Klipsch's policy, and he doesn't get a better price, either, for giving up those benefits.

I'm not criticizing Klipsch's dealer policy as much as criticizing its dealers. They aren't living up to their end of the bargain. The consumer suffers, but Klipsch suffers, too, because the demand for its products isn't what it could be. If Klipsch is serious about its authorized dealer policy, it needs to take its dealers to the woodshed for some "behavioral correction" so the policy will work the way it was intended. On the other hand, if Klipsch won't enforce the policy, it should be abandoned so consumers can buy Klipsch at a fair market price.

I was looking for RF-3's for HT from an authorized Klipsch dealer in Atlanta (other than HiFi Buys) and found a local "mom n'pop" dealer listed (here on this website). I was pretty happy because I had purchased from this dealer a few years ago and I liked their personalized service, as opposed to what I was getting at HiFi Buys. I called but was told on the phone that they weren't a Klipsch dealer. I purchased on-line.

Fast forward ~2 years...

I was looking for an audio rack to put in my new 2 channel room and happened to be driving by said "mom n' pop" dealer and I noticed a Klipsch banner in their window! I went in looking for furniture and also to see what Klipsch's they had on hand. I found a small room with the entire Klipsch reference series of speakers on display. I spoke with the owner and he said that besides the reference series he also had placed an order for a pair of each of the Heritage line speakers now that they were back in production. He said he had a pair of K-horns coming, a pair of Belles, LaScalas, Cornwalls and Heresy's all on order. I commented that the Cornwalls had been out of production for quite some time and didn't think that they were coming back, but the store owner assured me that they were re-introducing the Cornwalls. This authorized dealer also told me that his Klipsch sales rep had said the entire Heritage line was to be discontinued after a short production run of the "new" Heritage speakers...

Edster...

Whether Klipsch Audio Technologies really plans to come out with just a short run of the Heritage line and then discontinue them really doesn't matter much, because I am sure that Mrs. Valerie will find a way of making sure they get produced by SOMEBODY!!!...if K.A.T. sees no need to continue with them...know what I mean? 2.gif

As for the Klipsch dealer network, if the other dealers around are anything like the one here, then all they want to do is install built-in home theater systems for big bucks in new high-dollar homes...that is where THEIR money is made!!!(verbatim from the owner!!!) As for even keeping a showroom around, they could care less!! They are more into selling built-ins, car systems, etc, than selling floor standing speakers...to people who want them...and I sincerely doubt that this local dealer here will even order a single Heritage speaker!!! Hell, they only had one pair of reference in the whole damned store, and they weren't even hooked up to anything...showroom was filthy as hell, and dust all over the speakers and stuff in it!!!

All I wanted to ask him about were the Klipsch speakers for home use currently available...and all he wanted to talk about was some metallic ceramic woofer that, when installed in one of his auto sub enclosures, will vibrate houses ten blocks away, and only needs 2,000 watts of power to do it!!!...all for the paltry sum of a couple of grand apiece!!!...and it wasn't even made by Klipsch!!!

Klipsch dealers???...WHERE?????...Show me!!!!!

BQ -- I've heard Heritage speakers several different times over the course of 25 years, and each time I'm exposed to them -- I feel a headache coming on. They are just too damn bright for my taste. If truth be known -- if Klipsch had never made the RB5 -- I wouldn't be here.

Understand -- this is a purely subjective opinion. I can't understand why you don't fall over in love with the RF7's, anymore than you can't understand why I don't fall over in love with K-horns.

As far as two-ways being a step back, well -- I would certainly say we have a difference of opinion here as well. I can honestly say I have never heard a "bad" sounding two-way, but I could fill a book with the awful multi-ways I've heard. Actually, there are only two multi-way speakers I have ever heard that I liked. Incidently, by today's standards -- the RF7 is hardly a "small" speaker.

Just because a speaker is the size of a washing machine does not mean everyone is going to like it. I know you know this already, sorry, I'm babbling.

Hardhead, that was a great post -- I couldn't have said it better myself.

----------------

On 10/15/2002 7:51:53 PM deang wrote:

BQ
-- I've heard Heritage speakers several different times over the course of 25 years, and each time I'm exposed to them -- I feel a headache coming on. They are just too damn bright for my taste. If truth be known -- if Klipsch had never made the RB5 -- I wouldn't be here.

(snip)

Hardhead
, that was a great post -- I couldn't have said it better myself.

----------------

Deang... Have you ever heard the KLF-30s? How do they compare in "brightness" to the RF-7's? From my experience, my Cornwalls are mellower and not as bright as my KLF-30's. I consider the bass tighter and full (better) in the KLF's but I prefer the mid range and high end of the Cornwalls. I've also listened to Belles and LaScalas and found them similar to the Cornwalls in the mid to upper end.

My point is that I find the newer Klipsch (KLF) much brighter than my 1977 Cornwalls. I'm surprised you find the RF's less "grating" than the heritage. I'm just curious if you've listened to the KLF-30's much (which would be a common point of reference for us) and what you found? Yes, I realize everyone hears differently... I'm just curious.

Concerning the dealer issue.. this reminds of a thread a while back "HornEd sees Red". Seems like things haven't gotten much better in the past year.

Mace

Mace