Speaker Cable question

JCturboT

Anyone have any experience-either good or bad- with AudioQuest speaker cables? Does their 1/4" spade fit without modification on the back of say Cornwalls?

From what I've read they have some positive reviews.

Really the only reason I'm looking into them is that they have been marked down-over 50% off of retail.

Jeff

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jeff. Yes I have used both Type 6 and Slate AQ speaker wire. I imagine your speakers would dictate whether the clarity and detail that I noted would be beneficial to your ears. I have no experience with the spades. Take it you saw the sale featuring Slate 12ft pr (one example) for $99.95? Good luck!

Keith

Which ones? I used to like AudioQuest products a long time ago. I was a big proponent of AudioQuest Ruby ICs and have had Type 4, Type 6, Indigo, Midnight, and AudioQuest F-14, perhaps one of my favorite of the AQ line in some ways as it was simple, cheap, and did the least damage. Over the years, I started thinking the AQ cable, on the whole, was a bit more grainy with some being a bit harsh. The F-14 oxidized after awhile but it was still a great bargain at the time. I always felt the Type 4/Type 6 to sound too thick. The Indigo was a good compromise. Later, I kind of moved away from their designs altogether but a few on here seem to like theirs. I think there are other cables out there which are more harmonically rich and smooth while still retaining the all important detail. Speaker cables really do need to be matched with the gear. I found that some cable that did great with solid state sounded quite sluggish via tubes, with the Transparent Network cables being a prime example.

Get the thin spades or better yet, move to 5-way binding posts on your speakers. See the compromise I had to shoot for below with thicker spades. It works but is a major compromise.

cw_binding_post1.jpg

Keith-yeah,that'

s exacatly the sale I was talking about.I'm looking at the AQ Slate speaker cable-looks like a really good price.

Craig-Audio Advisor is the retailer we're talking about-some really good prices if your looking.

Kelly-Thats the problem I have with my Cornwalls as well-not really much of an area to "grab" the spades.Really would hate to modify my speaker backs to put in 5 way binding posts but I did see someone post here about a decent set of binding posts really well suited to Klipsch anyone remember the brand??

Jeff

Guys,

Yeah I decided to upgrade a couple things in my system-cables/interconnects or go for the ultimate purchase,a set of Klipschorns!

Going to look at a set this weekend and not sure if they'll sound ok in my rather smallish living room (14 x 17) or fit snugly in the corner (cast-iron baseboard heat)or even if I'll like the horn-loaded woofer but if I don't I think I have someone to sell them to-hear that Chris R.??

9.gif

Jeff

JCTurbo-

Do the baseboard heaters go all the way into the corners? If they stop short of the actual corner by ~3" or 4" the K-horns should fit tight just fine. It is the tail board that needs to be in the corner, the fabric side panels are even cut out to accomodate base boards.

Warren, your retorts get more and more sophomoric as the days wear on. Are you able to read? I said to go for THIN spades OR 5-way binding posts; if not, you are dealing with a MAJOR COMPROMISE that will work if you don't have anything else or are trying cables but not something to rely on. Where did I not make myself clear? The above picture was to illustrate how if you DO happen to have those type spades (these for Kimber posts) and are stuck, this is the ONLY way to connect them. IT is not meant as a solution, but a stop gap quick fix.

Why are you so easily threatened? A quarter of a sentence rattles your cage resulting in you shaking the bars like a Gibbon on Ibogaine.

If only you more closely resembled your Avatar, you would have some redeeming features.

Jeff,

I currently use AQ Bedrock speaker cables which I feel make a very well balanced presentation with my system. Keep in mind that I use Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects with my component connections, so I feel the copper core AQ Bedrocks provide good detail and balance. The Slate's are made with a slightly different grade of copper which may not provide as much detail as the Bedrocks, I can't speak from experience. There is a pretty full section of information on the composition of their cables on their site if you want to take the time to browse it. In the next few days, I will be trying some AQ Type 4 cable with my EICO/Heresy connection that I felt was a good bang for buck price through a fleabay aution.

AQ sells the spade connections you will need for Cornwalls or other stock Heritage speakers and requires no modifications. It's the P-814. If you can't find that one, Radio Shack has the correct size spade, just not as high quality. BTW, silver is best, not gold for your connectors. I felt the Bedrock cables were a significant improvement over my previous Monster wire. YMMV based on the components in your system.

I hope that helps.

Klipsch out.

The last two sets of speaker cable I ordered I was able to specify "mini-spades," which are the perfect size for my 35 year old Cornwall binding posts. The first set was from WireWorld and the second from Nordost. I just didn't have the heart to hack up the back of my pristine Cornwalls to put in Kimber posts.

By the way, the Nordost Blue Heaven cables that I've been using for the last five months are really something--these are the first "expensive" (for me, not in reality) speaker cables I've popped for and they are really something--a lot more upper register clarity is the biggest difference. I know most of you think that any of us who claim to hear differences in wire are full of crap (I was one of you until 6-7 years ago), but I DO hear differences, HONEST!

While we are on the speaker cable topic...does anyone have any experience with Hovland nine-line cable? It is their "bargain basement" line of speakers cable. I am looking for a shorter run of speaker cable since I have my monoblocks so close to my speakers (there is a 4' bi-wire pair of the Hovlands at AudiogoN right now).

When I bought my factory assembled DIY cross connect cable (which I am very pleased with) I wanted a 4' pair but I got talked into a standard 8' pair.

edster,

Thanks for the quick picture-I guess if the do interfere with the heaters I could remove the side grills.

Mike-if you go onto Audio Advisor and click on manufactures (AudioQuest)it will be on the 4th page.The Slate series appear to be the only ones marked down.Hope this helps.

Jeff