La Scala II's

Deano1974

2 minutes ago, Deano1974 said:

What amp did you buy?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Long story but I'll go there...  Youngest daughter graduated from college in May and has wanted my LS and an amp w/turntable...  THAT's not gonna happen!  She's headed from Ohio to Phoenix, AZ for her Master's in Sport Industry Law/Business then I think she's going to go to Law school there.  She's looking at professional athlete's contractual work I think...  Sooooo, was thinking I'd check out a PrimaLuna integrated, give her a pair of Heresy's and pick her up a turntable.  So I guess that's my plan for now then I'll just replace it with their amp and preamp if I like the integrated.  She's happy and I'm happy if things work.  You already know what SS amp I'm running...  Dunedin made...  Where you from there?  Close? 

• Like 1

Long story but I'll go there...  Youngest daughter graduated from college in May and has wanted my LS and an amp w/turntable...  THAT's not gonna happen!  She's headed from Ohio to Phoenix, AZ for her Master's in Sport Industry Law/Business then I think she's going to go to Law school there.  She's looking at professional athlete's contractual work I think...  Sooooo, was thinking I'd check out a PrimaLuna integrated, give her a pair of Heresy's and pick her up a turntable.  So I guess that's my plan for now then I'll just replace it with their amp and preamp if I like the integrated.  She's happy and I'm happy if things work.  You already know what SS amp I'm running...  Dunedin made...  Where you from there?  Close? 
Im in Auckland so about 10hrs drive from here down south [emoji4]

You must be very proud of her and obvously she takes after her dad in appreciating good music and speakers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deano1974 said:

Im in Auckland so about 10hrs drive from here down south emoji4.png

You must be very proud of her and obvously she takes after her dad in appreciating good music and speakers

That would be a haul for ya but Martin said it's beautiful country there.   I don't know about her "appreciating good music & speakers" though!  I'd never listen to her stuff...  Ummm, no thanks!  lol  She just wants into my 40 feet of vinyl...  Ummm, NO!  Buy your own or cd you're junk...  I croak bury me in the LS and take good care of my vinyl or I'll be back to haunt you!  lol  They give you a delivery date on your LS?

• Like 2

Lol "stop touching my records"

Delivery Tuesday wooo hooo

Oh wait thats 3 days away - shit! Lol

That would be a haul for ya but Martin said it's beautiful country there.   I don't know about her "appreciating good music & speakers" though!  I'd never listen to her stuff...  Ummm, no thanks!  lol  She just wants into my 40 feet of vinyl...  Ummm, NO!  Buy your own or cd you're junk...  I croak bury me in the LS and take good care of my vinyl or I'll be back to haunt you!  lol  They give you a delivery date on your LS?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Deano1974 said:

Lol "stop touching my records"

Delivery Tuesday wooo hooo

Oh wait thats 3 days away - shit! Lol

She knows how to handle vinyl so that's a plus.  Hmmmm, let's see and a day to check them out soooo we'll expect pics on your Wed...  hahaha   Talk soon and do enjoy!  :)

• Like 1

She knows how to handle vinyl so that's a plus.  Hmmmm, let's see and a day to check them out soooo we'll expect pics on your Wed...  hahaha   Talk soon and do enjoy!  [emoji4]

Will post as they arrive and unbox, take care brother and chat soon

Good night!

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Coytee said:

Since you live way down under....can you maybe clarify something....

Does your volume control rotate left to increase?

:emotion-14:

No that would only be in California and North up to the Seattle/Portland area. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Update on postioning CW IIIs

so about 3 months ago as you guys are aware I bought a pair of CW IIIs and started with the usual postioning of corners, back wall placement and although things were amazing something still wasnt right

So after asking here for advice on placement which I recieved in droves, "thanks guys" I tried many many more postions and still something was missing

Eventually I went to the cardas website and used the room calculator and postioned the speakers to the exact mm and wow the difference was astonding

Now I know im lucky and can do this placement because I have a dedicated room and most people have a C&C "Commander & Chief" that wont let this happen in your homes but if you can give it a try then do because its well worth the time and effort

I actully bought my C&C in to the room blind folded and let her listen and she thought I had put the speakers in a bigger room lol

Mind you I did take her around the house first blind folded to throw her off lol

Also after reading the review and listening to Peter Mcgraths interview with sterephile on how he sets up wilson speakers and what demo track he uses which is Christy Moore's track. "So do I" McGrath explains what you should hear whilst listening and the CW IIIs in the Cardas placement nailed the description

Below in the photo is where my CW IIIs now sit and also the album cover and track detalis

Also the link for the interview so you can hear what McGrath describes

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexia-series-2-loudspeaker

317e5335d82b3a49c4b514ce6644267f.jpg85669b69fa12f21673d8f80e02833d71.jpgbe2bd3f76e25b68a852449a91a047f13.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

the water from our taps go upwards lol

Haha ... BUT ... your water drains COUNTER-clockwise out of a sink vs clockwise in the US.  And if I recall you drive on the "wrong" side of the road also :D  Haha; would not surprise me if if New Zealanders hooked up their L/R speakers in reverse ... OK; just kidding.

Cheers, Emile

• Haha 1

Haha ... BUT ... your water drains COUNTER-clockwise out of a sink vs clockwise in the US.  And if I recall you drive on the "wrong" side of the road also [emoji3]  Haha; would not surprise me if if New Zealanders hooked up their L/R speakers in reverse ... OK; just kidding.

Cheers, Emile
Lol we do wire our klipsch speakers out of phase because we know they play loud with zero distortion so by the time you guys in the U.S hear what we are playing when we crank the volume up its then in phase [emoji16]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Deano1974 said:

I went to the cardas website and used the room calculator and postioned the speakers to the exact mm and wow the difference was astonding

Thanks! Checked it out ... very interesting.

Of course the results for my room were "wacky" ... place the speakers 16 ft from the rear wall :(  ... yeah; right where I "sit."  (Problem is that my 15x25' "TV room" is part of an about 40x40' "great room.")  Will try it in my "stereo room" though.

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing haha) your new speakers!

Cheers, Emile

• Like 2

Thanks! Checked it out ... very interesting.
Of course the results for my room were "wacky" ... place the speakers 16 ft from the rear wall [emoji20]  ... yeah; right where I "sit."  (Problem is that my 15x25' "TV room" is part of an about 40x40' "great room.")  Will try it in my "stereo room" though.

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing haha) your new speakers!

Cheers, Emile
Yeah definitely give it a go if you can it doesnt cost anything well you will have to buy the track from amazon or the cd [emoji4]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Deano1974 said:

Update on postioning CW IIIs

so about 3 months ago as you guys are aware I bought a pair of CW IIIs and started with the usual postioning of corners, back wall placement and although things were amazing something still wasnt right

So after asking here for advice on placement which I recieved in droves, "thanks guys" I tried many many more postions and still something was missing

Eventually I went to the cardas website and used the room calculator and postioned the speakers to the exact mm and wow the difference was astounding

I just did this very same thing with my Chorus II and Chorus.  I've always had them in the corners facing either right in front of me or right behind me.  A few days ago I tried both speakers 15" from the rear wall and facing directly forward and about a foot from the side walls and i'm loving the sound right now. I feared loss of bass but that's not the case at all.  I do remember a review way back that I don't recall completely, but it was a Forte I or II review and he found the best position was facing directly forward as well instead of toed in like most recommend.   I'm going to try that cardas room calculator when I get a chance. Thanks!

Waiting on my hate em or love em Titanium mid diapghrams that you have in your Cornwall IIIs. 

• Like 2

I just did this very same thing with my Chorus II and Chorus.  I've always had them in the corners facing either right in front of me or right behind me.  A few days ago I tried both speakers 15" from the rear wall and facing directly forward and about a foot from the side walls and i'm loving the sound right now. I feared loss of bass but that's not the case at all.  I do remember a review way back that I don't recall completely, but it was a Forte I or II review and he found the best position was facing directly forward as well instead of toed in like most recommend.   I'm going to try that cardas room calculator when I get a chance. Thanks!

Waiting on my hate em or love em Titanium mid diapghrams that you have in your Cornwall IIIs. 
I know what you mean by love them or hate them with the tweeter pointed at the ears there was definitely a brightness with some tracks and with some atrists but as soon as I placed the speakers in the cardas postion the brightness completely disappeared and with no loss in detail or imaging

I know now that klipsch speakers are not so forgiving when placed in the wrong postion and when the room plays a part, hence why I think alot of people claim klipsch speakers are bright

It took weeks of changing postion over many many days and thank goodness for cardas and his crazy calculations

And also the speakers need exact placement for individual ears, we do all hear differently so experimenting is the only way to get it right, everyone has there own placement that works

I hope the cardas placement helps you eliminate the love them or hate them issue

• Like 1

I just tried the cardas calculation and it wants me to pull the speakers 7ft from the rear wall and 4ft from the side walls which would put the speakers a couple of ft in front of me. Am i supposed to feel like i'm getting a lap dance from the singer? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2