MOUNT KING K-HORNS

Dale W

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahh, yes USA ehh. But...many would question if North Dakota is in the US. I just left Fargo about 4-1/2 years ago. I lived there for 8 years, 6 of which I spent in college at NDSU. I now am almost as far south as I can go to get away from the cold. My entire family still lives in the North Country though. I think I am finally starting to lose the accent, at least people don't seem to give me sh!t anymore. Take off ehh, hoser.

Stereotypically,2.gif

EJ

Very intresting design dale,maybe you could send me the design for the bottom bin ? Were did you get matching speaker cloth from ? I see from the picture you edge banded the headsection and cut back the overlap how did you manage that without tearing up the wood? looks like a very pro job!!!

LOADEDTUNES:

I got the speaker cloth from my local klipsch dealer who order'ed it direct from klipsch for me, (perfect match).

I made a jig for the table saw and ran the headset threw sitting upside down, using a carbide finishing blade.Then edge banded the headsection and new step sections before finishing them.Yes i was a little nervous cutting up the cabinets but they look 10 times better than factory now.I used a alcohol base spray stain to finish them as birch is not a easy wood to stain without blotching.

LONE PALM: yes i have that cd and it sounds great.One tune i play alot for first time listeners of my system is April wine "Roller ". It has drums and bass thats just incedible,

the bass restoration units i run make the bass very tight and snappy. Pink floyd is also a all time favorite along with some hard hitting "four horseman".

" hey baby, it's getting late now and the years are rolling on"

great riff that really stirs up some emotion.This is one tune i can't play loud enough and i always push my amps and speakers to the limit and beyond.Maybe i'm just a crazy s.o.b but some tunes motivate me to espire beyond my means.

Music is evil, makes you spend lots of money !! LOL .

Hey Dale, sorry I could not reply to your email a couple of weeks back. I lived in the Londonderry area of Edmonton for 10 years.

My brother is a manager at the Safeway there in Fort Saskatchewan ! Small world aint it?

I started a small cabinet shop in Edmonton before I moved here. So I am well versed in wood lingo. lol

For Klipsch products I am finishing off some K horn clones with mods from this site.I'll send you pics when completed.

Later, Tony

MOON: Hear what ?? no i can't hear , but i can still read lol 2.gif

The olny thing i've been hearing latly is my wife telling me to turn the dam volume down because she's trying to get the kids to bed.

Nothing worse than getting a new cd and not being able to run it.

I use to skip out of work and blast away a few tunes, but now i've just paid off my house and the wife quit her job to stay home with my 6 and 4 year olds. totaly screwed up my routine.I'm thinking maybe it's time to move my gear to the garage. ha ha

nice to finally talk to you, i've been reading some of your threads.

Run for your life - it's Klipshzilla!!

I like the comment about being from Texas.

The listening room at Hope in the old days had a McIntosh 2500, pushing 250/channel. I was told by the Klipsch people that power was necessary for the dynamics. Okay, I believed them.

Heard the same thing from audio dealer in Memphis.

J-MALOTKY : I've wired and amp'ed these horns every wich way possible so far and currently I'm running them bi-wired with each head-section running it's own AK-2 network.After reading Bruce Rozenblit's book Audio Reality : Myths Debunked... Truths Revealed.I was a little hesitant of bi-wiring after reading his views on the topic but to each his own. My RB-1090 is a behemoth power supply and is able to handle total loads down to 2 ohms with little effort. The amp will set to overcurrent protection if the impedances drop below 2 ohms (this has not happen to me yet).

This amp will deliver power levels in excess of 400 watts at 8 ohnms and 700 watts into 4 ohms, I dont want to ask about 2ohms.So that being said it has no problem delivering power at frequencies below 500 hz were a amp uses 90% of it's power.

My previous wiring job using a external electronic crossover did not yield the results i was looking for and took months of tinkering around and soldering. I ran another amp with the lower section running in low pass mode and the head section running on high pass.The crossover module was a user replaceable 16 pin resitor wich controls the fequency of the 24db/octave linkwitz-riley crossover, with a factory setting at 90hz (this i played around with and built several of my own at various hz levels).The pmf module is simalar to the crossover except it has 14 pins, it's 18 db/ octave filter limits the lowest frequency, factory setting 25hz.I bought a pile of 16 and 14 pin DIP component headers and set out on my own to experiment, I used 1/4 watt, 5% tolerance, carbon film resistors and built several different PFM modules.SUCCESS WAS SLOW !!

and i often ran into trouble if i hit the range button as this extended the low frequency side down to 16hz TOO LOW.After months and rolls of solder i finally got decent results but eventualy switched back to bi-wiring and using the AK-2 networks.

Have some faith in me J after i fry some of this solid state gear, I will revert back to a single ended system once again.

oops had to come back and edit a bit : the RB-1090 has two sets of binding posts for each side just so you didnt think i had a pile of wires screwed onto one terminal.

I'll give credit were credit is due , i can't believe some of you guys who venture into unknown territory with an open mind. Hats off for the effort2.gif

My gear is all stock and i have to rely on my local shop for info. I'm greatfull for this forum and the open minded folks that post and reply.I will be sure to ask for advise here first as you guys seem to venture into the unknown waters often.

Nothing like learning from someone elses mistakes, costs less money and time. lol9.gif

Dale

I have faith in you brother... And respect your consistant work in process. All part of this hobbie / lifestyle 6.gif

I would love to hear them someday...

I was thinking that you must be using an external crossover, amping each speaker seperately after the crossovers, so that you could easily adjust and compinsate for the sound of all those horns... Looks like youve been there and done that...

Does having 2 ak-2's running parellel off the woofer sections change the crossover points much?

Maybe AL K would be some help in your design.

JM

TONY : Seem as you have access to making cabinets, if your ever intrested in making another pair of clones i know a guy in this area that has a pair of EV-1's wich are a k-horn clone. There complete with new klipsch drivers in the bottom, i don't know were your getting your hardware from but it might be cheapier to rob these cabinets.

What are you using as a top coat over your wood ? do you have a clean booth to spray laquer? I used a vignal sealer wich sands real nice then 35% sheen 2k laquer as a top coat. Seem as your so close, let me know if you need my paint booth to finish you project. very nice $100,000.00

down draft booth, no dirty paint jobs here.Your more than welcome to come out and i'll give you a hand. You can even stop by my place for a beer and get a earfull of heritage. then you can let some of the guys here know what you think about the sound quality.

• 2 weeks later...

J-MALOTKY: sorry buddy i skipped passed your last post on my last visit.

I imagine the x-over points are skewed quite a bit running both headsets, I take the top one off a lot or unplug it. Untill i can get a proper network built or buy a expensive active x-over i'll have to live with what i've got now. The dual headsets are nice for low level listening of 12 string guitar passeges or clasical stuff. But throw on so heavy rock and crank the volume you better run for cover or throw on some ear defenders cuz she comes at you hard and heavy !!!

I should get some sort of kick back from klipsch for the number of speakers that have been purchased as a result of my showroom. Guys see these things and just freak as i start turning on amps. I just sit back and laugh in my twisted little mind. I love the shock value !!!!

Keep the faith : rock on klipsch dude.

Edit time : running dual subwoofers in 2 channel mode does make up a little bit for the add'ed highs produced by dual headsets.