Turn wrenches ? Value on Snap-On ?

joessportster

I have some wrenches I am thinking of letting go of. No real need for them Ebay is all over the map with prices

I have a 12 piece set of sae Combination wrenches, and 10 pieces of metric, Also a small cornwell set

Anyone know approx value ? Anyone need these ?

2.PNG

SAE are 1",  15/16",  7/8" , 13/16,  3/4,  11/16,  5/8,  9/16,  1/2,  7/16,  3/8,  5,16 

Metric are 19mm, 17mm, 16mm, 15mm, 14mm, 13mm, 12mm, 11mm, 10mm, 8mm 

The Cornwell set are not marked Cornwell they are KD and 1 is a craftsman the look like distributor type wrenches straight on 1 end and 90 degree on opposite range in size from 3/8 to 13/64 each wrench having a different size on each end but then corresponding with the next wrench so you have each size in straight on and 90 Degree 

Depending on age, they were likely made in Fort Smith, AR at the tool and die plant there, which closed down once Craftsman moved most all of their production to China.  Yes, Snap-on and Craftsman wrenches were all made at the same facility for decades...even made in the same forging dies, but with different inserts to those dies for the brand names.  Snap-On just cost more because of the "Snap-On truck" expense attached to their life-time warranty.  With Snap-On you got replacement wrenches from the "Snap-On truck" when it rolled around, but with Craftsman, you had to take the broken item to a Sears store to get it replaced (provided they had one in stock). Polished wrenches all made in same dies, and "pebble-grain" wrenches made in different set of dies, but in same place.  I think the parent company of the tool plant was Klein, and they still make stuff in Fort Smith, but not the wrenches, anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Depending on age, they were likely made in Fort Smith, AR at the tool and die plant there, which closed down once Craftsman moved most all of their production to China.  Yes, Snap-on and Craftsman wrenches were all made at the same facility for decades...even made in the same forging dies, but with different inserts to those dies for the brand names.  Snap-On just cost more because of the "Snap-On truck" expense attached to their life-time warranty.  With Snap-On you got replacement wrenches from the "Snap-On truck" when it rolled around, but with Craftsman, you had to take the broken item to a Sears store to get it replaced (provided they had one in stock). Polished wrenches all made in same dies, and "pebble-grain" wrenches made in different set of dies, but in same place.  I think the parent company of the tool plant was Klein, and they still make stuff in Fort Smith, but not the wrenches, anymore.

Now that is something I did not know, and never heard before.

9 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I've never seen polished Craftsman or pebbled snap on.  They may have been made in the same plant but are vastly different wrenches.  They feel totally different in your hand as you use them.  Craftsman are generally thicker as well.

I traded a pick up truck that needed work for a monstrosity of a snap on box with tools, The guy did me a bit dirty in that he sent me pictures of the box loaded when I got there a couple days later the pictures did not match what was still in the box...............My fault for transferring title to him before picking up the box / stuff. Sometimes it is just best to walk away, Certainly not worth Jail time for assault etc...

I also need to get rid of the Box but it is so Dam Big and heavy I dont know how, I posted it locally on craigslist with no true interest Bunch of tire kickers scam artists. I thought 1800 was a killer deal but maybe 1 of you knows better

Box is 63" wide with the Hanging drawers on the side, 74 inches tall,  and 26" deep and weighs an absolute ton 

IMG_5602.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

there may be interest

I'm guessing that means Schu might have an interest...after all....he's going to need some tools to upgrade the crossovers in his new speakers!! :emotion-14:

None the less....  I'll raise my hand with some interest as well....though frankly, I find most of what I need is larger stuff (3/4 and maybe 1" drive sockets for my backhoe)

Still....I'd be open

7 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

+1. You learn something new everyday.   May I quote that when the snap on man comes to sell me tools? Instant discount.... 

Let me know if that works :P I some how doubt you and he would remain on good terms......................

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've never seen polished Craftsman or pebbled snap on.  They may have been made in the same plant but are vastly different wrenches.  They feel totally different in your hand as you use them.  Craftsman are generally thicker as well.

I have had polished Craftsman b-4 they called them there pro wrenches that said they were VASTLY different in build Much thicker / bulkier

100% agree about the feel, fit, finish

Might have an interest in the tool box too...

Dang....how far are you from Knoxville??

My tool chest is a beat up Craftsman that was converted to a roller like you have (nowhere as large).  The husband of a gal I used to work with owns an Ironworks company here in town....but also races go-carts.  Designed the box for gocart racers but it's done well for me....  just getting small

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I'm guessing that means Schu might have an interest...after all....he's going to need some tools to upgrade the crossovers in his new speakers!! :emotion-14:

None the less....  I'll raise my hand with some interest as well....though frankly, I find most of what I need is larger stuff (3/4 and maybe 1" drive sockets for my backhoe)

Still....I'd be open

As stated I have no idea what the value is, I tried to look on ebay That was a waste of time some people have a 12 piece wrench set at 650.00, others at 150.00 I was of a mind to sell off a lot of tools I dont need any more. If someone here is interested I will of course listen to an offer   Joe

20 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Now that is something I did not know, and never heard before.

I worked in an iron foundry pattern shop just down the road from that plant for almost 10 years 1992-Late 1999.  It got to a point where people were taking the culls from the outside hopper where they were kept until recycled into NEW tools, and then taking them to Sears for trade-in for "free tools", so the plant had to cut every cull in half to stop that from happening.  Used to be lots of molten iron and steel in many plants in the Fort Smith area...still a few remaining, but today's "millenials" workforce just doesn't want to work in a job like that nowadays...because they get dirty and even more-so because it interferes with their cell phone usage too much!  LOL!  Much of the industry that used to be in Fort Smith has moved elsewhere, to include overseas...Remember Baldor electric motors...the best you could get...ANYWHERE?  It got gobbled up by ABB in 2011.  Still a plant there, but who knows if the quality is still the same?

54 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I have a number of sets of polished Craftsman wrenches (their "Craftsman Professional" line  identical to Snap-On)...some of which were made at that plant in Fort Smith.  Craftsman historically made the heavier "pebble-grained" wrenches, which was their most popular line due to the lower cost of them (polishing is labor-intensive)...I have Craftsman stuff from the 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, and newer, to include aluminum-bodied "skill-saws", hand drills, etc., and wrenches, bench-woodworking tools...lots of Craftsman stuff.  My Dad loved that stuff and was buying it even before WWII came along.  Lucky for me that his bench planer/joiner with odd-sized (no longer available thru Sears for decades!) knives was kept by me, because I worked in a millwork place after I got back from the desert in 2007, cutting knives for the wooden mouldings we made and made up a bunch of knives for it while there...so now it is fully-capable of doing its job again....gotta love that golden finish on that old piece of equipment, too...and its vintage logo just like this one. 

vintage Craftsman logo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1