CF4 Cherry Mint, South Chicago Burbs, $1,300.00

John Chi-town

4 minutes ago, DEP14 said:

Oh boy. Tempted to buy them and swap my v1 parts into them. Looks like trey have shorter ports. But that cherry is awesome. Dig that more than the oak I have!

Do the CF series have structural cabinet issues like KLF line?  Also how would you compare the sound to the forte line?

Regards,

John

What I find interesting in the pics, is version 1 serial numbers, but with the shorter ports for some reason.

I actually just noticed that as well, the grey mid horn and serial looks version 1 with short ports of a 2 or 3 version. Strange. I don’t know if early version 2 had the grey horn but they would also have the 5” ports no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

I actually just noticed that as well, the grey mid horn and serial looks version 1 with short ports of a 2 or 3 version. Strange. I don’t know if early version 2 had the grey horn but they would also have the 5” ports no?

I believe that version 2's came with the shorter ports. The horn was painted black on the 3rd version. 

V`

8 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Looks like version 3 so the crossover also would be changed if it is. The woofers would also be different iirc

Woofers on v3 are unbelievably soft compared to v1.

Source: I own both

• Like 1

according to a post in the epics owners thread, this seller wants to keep the speakers... but the ad is still up & only 5 days old so that sounds kinda strange.

beautiful looking speakers in the cherry regardles of the version.  i noticed the short ports too & the serial number indicates late v1 or maybe v2. hard to say what has been done to speakers or anything after this long, someone could have changed ports or drivers etc.

on a side note, i have owned v2 cf4s & heard a couple pairs of v3... dont let the hype of v1 vs v2 & v3 fool you... v3 cf4s are still excellent speakers!  v1 or v2 may be "better" but v3's are right up there with them, any version of epics are awsome speakers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

according to a post in the epics owners thread, this seller wants to keep the speakers... but the ad is still up & only 5 days old so that sounds kinda strange.

beautiful looking speakers in the cherry regardles of the version.  i noticed the short ports toom the serial number indicates late v1 or maybe v2. hard to say what has been done to speakers or anything after this long, someone could have changed ports or drivers etc.

on a side note, i have owned v2 cf4s & heard a couple pairs of v3... dont let the hype of v1 vs v2 & v3 fool you... v3 cf4s are still excellent speakers!  v1 or v2 may be "better" but v3's are right up there with them, any version of epics are awsome speakers!

Should the serial number not dictate version?

Regards,

John

7 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

Should the serial number not dictate version?

Regards,

John

Yes.

Those serial #'s look to be version 1's.  The 213th day of 1994. I remember reading that the second version with shorter ports did not come out until some time in 95.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Yes.

Those serial #'s look to be version 1's.  The 213th day of 1994. I remember reading that the second version with shorter ports did not come out until some time in 95.

yes serial numbers dictate versions... from the info in the "everything you ever wanted to know about epics thread" & speakers i have owned/seen, the v1 epics started in spring of 94.  v2 happened in the fall of 94,  213 day is kinda close to fall but still summer.  v3 happened in summer of 95. 

so, these are likely v1 based on the serial number, but could be early v2's based on the port length.  i recall seeing some claimed v1's a couple years ago on ebay that had short ports too, so who knows. 

4 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

yes serial numbers dictate versions... from the info in the "everything you ever wanted to know about epics thread" & speakers i have owned/seen, the v1 epics started in spring of 94.  v2 happened in the fall of 94,  213 day is kinda close to fall but still summer.  v3 happened in summer of 95. 

so, these are likely v1 based on the serial number, but could be early v2's based on teh port length.  i recall seeing some claimed v1's a couple years ago on ebay that had short ports too, so who knows. 

Thanks, I am familiar with the KLF 30, buddy of mine has a pair.  Are the CF4's prone to the same loose cabinet syndrome over time?

Regards,

John

4 hours ago, John Chi-town said:

Thanks, I am familiar with the KLF 30, buddy of mine has a pair.  Are the CF4's prone to the same loose cabinet syndrome over time?

Regards,

John

no.  not that i have seen or heard of.  but of course im sure there may have been some out there that were handled rough or other issue that caused a loose cabinet.  the construction of the epics is different from the klf or kg series that had cabinet problems from bad or insufficient glue.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 11:56 AM, John Chi-town said:

Also how would you compare the sound to the forte line?

Regards,

John

my opinion on how cf4s compare to fortes is that they best the fortes in every possible way, the cf3 do too.  there is nothing the forte 1 or 2 does that is better than the cf4-  bass, mid, highs, max volume, impact, or any of the terms people use to describe speakers & sound.  & this is from an owner of both forte 1, forte 2,  chorus 2 & many other models of klipsch speakers.  i love my fortes & chorus & they are great speakers... but the epics are just that good. 

i sold my v2 cf-4s to upgrade to mid 90's ak-3 k-horns.... & while the khorn may be the better speaker overall in ideal conditions, it has so many quirks & placement requirements that i still miss my epics & in some ways wish i would have kept them!