Nothing can stop me from picking up my Klipschorns!

JCturboT

Well guys,

I had to drive through tropical like storms on the East coast,fight throught 3 hours traffic jams in New York,and watch my back for the sniper in the DC area but I finally got my new (used) Klipschorns home Sunday nite!!

It started out like this...I had been talking with the seller in early Spring about his Klipschorns and never got the time to actually pursue the matter so I figured they were sold.He had given me all the specs on them in an early e-mail and stated they were Walnut stained.I

Really didn't like the idea they were Birch speakers stained so I never really "jumped" on the purchase. Well,about 6 months went by and I noticed I had a private message from Trey Cannon of Klipsch answering a e-mail I had sent in March that I had never opened.

He stated from the info I gave him that they were early 1994 Klipschorn style B top of the line in Walut Oil- $hit! looks like I missed out on that one.

So,I figured I'd e-mail the seller again only to hear they were sold ages ago "why are you buggin me?!" but much to my suprise they weren't! He never reran the ad (let hear it for procrastination!)

So I know they're still available...now its just talking my wife into putting yet more audio equiptment in our "getting smaller by the second" living room.Heck-there a set of Cornwalls as well as my Cerwins in there already-whats another pair, both full sized speakers.Plus the K-horns were located in Virginia, not a small drive around the corner from Massachusetts.

Then it occurs to me...her friend lives just outside of Washington DC so it goes something like this "honey,we haven't seen Carrie & Al in sometime,whatda say we pay them a visit?"

Well she agrees and says yes, let all go as a family get-a-way (myself,wife,2 year old daughter) so she makes the plans and informs me that her friends have recently moved.

Oh well-now I stuck-I'll have to go now anyway on this mini-family vacation and forget about the speakers after all till she says"yeah they just bought a house in Springfield Virginia-

where are the speakers located?"

I nearly had the Fred Sanford "Big One" SAME TOWN!

What are the chances?? So I call the seller and he informs me that my wifes friends are about a 15 minute drive from his house.

What could be better Family time-visiting old friends-

picking up monstrosity like Klipsch speakers-ahh good times indeed!!

Well, we all arrived home safely after the trip and I'm right now rearranging my living room to make room for them.

Like Jim Cornell-I'm also cleaning away the years of dust and giving them their Scotts liquid gold tr*****nt.

I'll keep you all abreast of the details

1.gif Jeff

Also wanted to send out a Thank You to a couple forum members.

Chris Robinson-for letting me hear his K-horns and Eico setup.

Craig (NOS440) for his rebuilding skills on my Scott LK-48.

I didn't forget about that review Craig-just waiting to do a head-to-head with my Yamaha.(Still being repaired)8.gif

William McDermott-for sending me the Dope from Hope articles.Very interesting stuff.Thanks Bill.

And to all those that answered my various question.

Thanks Guys!

Jeff

JM-We actually ended up taking 2 cars down,my Dodge Grand Caravan with all but the 2 front seats removed.I separated the tops from the bass units as well as removed the side grills.

On a side note-if anyone is looking to move large speakers I would recommend what I did.Take 2 Aerobed inflatable mattresses, inflate them about half way and place the speakers on them.Made it 500 miles without so much as a scratch!

Mike-yeah its a real bad scene in the VIrginia area right now.You can just feel the tension down there when you just pull into a gas station.They need to catch this guy but quick.

Jazzman-I say this about the price-it a hell of a lot cheaper than $7000.00 for new Klipschorns!

Jeff

Well guys...

I wanted to wait a bit before posting any type of review on the Klipschorns and since its been less than a week I'll be brief.

Comparing them to my '84 Cornwalls...

First thing I notice is the midrange-much cleaner and clearer than the Cornwalls,almost like the proverbial blanket has been lifted.This,I think is where the K-horns shine.-Highs, right about on cue with the Corns.

The low end is whats entirely different.Being around bass reflex speakers much of the last 15 years its definately a change. I don't know if its my ears or I'm just not familiar with horn loaded bass but the Cornwalls seem to be more of a Rock&Roll speaker-not quicker bass or even lower bass but just a whole different ballgame.

I know a couple of you out there who have switched from Cornwalls to Klipschorns or even still have both but do you know what I am talking about? What qualities do you like about each speaker?

I'm still waiting to get back my Yamaha amplifier to really see how the Klipschorns sound on Solid State vs. my Scott Lk-48 tubes so I'll refrain from any furter discussion either way.

Jeff

Speaking of amplification...

Because I had picked up the speakers without even listening to them (owner had sold off equiptment for buisness reasons) the first thing I did when I got them back to the house I was staying at was give them a test run.

Not fun to load them up and take 'em out 15 minutes later but I wanted to make sure everthing was ok before driving 500 miles back to Massachusetts.

The people I was staying at were big Sony fans (don't get me started)everthing in the house has a Sony nameplate on it-the TV,the stereo system,the dish network,the phones,the clock radio,I mean everthing!

So I hooked the horns up to his Sony Receiver, STR AV-910 was the model #,typical late 80s early 90s early home theater Receiver.

Anyway I pop in a cd and hit play-

We're all standing there waiting for the sound to blow us away and it sounds like SH-T! Nothing in the bass department and really nothing in the high as well.

I figured they weren't tightly sealed in the corners so I carefully move then closer.

Still sound like crap.I then think the woofers are shot so I disconnect the top section and only play the bass unit.They're making some bass but nothing to brag about.I try adjusting the receiver for a better sound

and get nowhere.

My wife says to me "I though these were the best speaker Klipsch made-they don't sound that good at all"

So I'm standing there amongst all these people and I'm speechless-I have nothing to say.

I then notice what he has for speakers-another of my favorite brands- Bose. Bose model 601s to be exact.

If I hook his Bose up and they sound better than the Klipschorns I gonna kill myself right there on the spot.

Well, the Bose sounded even worse than my K-horns so I was a little relieved but not much.I guess if these Klipschorns don't meeet my expectation there's always e-bay.

I finally get them home and hook them up to my Scott LK-48...

UNBELIEVABLE-its a night and day difference!Tight quick bass,soaring highs,and the beautiful midrange I discussed earlier.

This with about 20 watts vs a 100 watt Sony.I means its UNBELIEVABLE.

Now I've never owned a Receiver,always had my 260 watt 50lb Yamaha amplifier to listen to but I tell you folks-its in the QUALITY not the QUANTITY!

...to be continued.

Jeff

Ohhhhhh.... It's the QUALITY not the QUANTITY! Now I see! heh...

Yeah, this forum is definitely from the "show me" State. But GOOD post! Somewhere along the line, this kind of stuff will sink in.

Glad the Khorns are working out, though. Didnt get what you said about about the bass comparison but that did pique my interest as well; how specifically does the Khorn bass come across less as a rock partner? Strangely enough, I actually think that rock is not the Cornwall's best subject either; seems to me to be more of a jazz speaker, although it will do rock, and sometimes quite well. I actually prefer other dynamic speakers for rock ultimately over the Heritage Horns. On densely recorded rock, especially rock that is tipped up to much in the EQ, the CW can become a bit ruthless. Then on other recordings with more space, and more definitive low end, rock/indie can sound amazing. I think all the Heritage line is probably very recording dependent in some ways. Ditto with amplification as you so rightly noticed. Imagine if all the people that use AV receivers and even more ambitious mid-level receivers/integrateds got a chance to hear really good stuff on their horns... And there is some great gear that doesnt cost and arm and two legs as well.

Many on here don't know what they're missing, ironically enough (although that is not always a bad thing).

JCTurboT,

My expereince using RF-3 II's and Heresy's and then finally Lascalas are the same as yours. At first the bass was so different with a Lascalas that I wondered if I made a mistake. But now that I've been listening to them for a couple months I have grown to love them. The thing that I think happens when first hearing horn loaded bass is that its so much tighter you don't think its there !! I believe that after you grow acustom to the KHorns you will never look back. Also try turning the Bass tone control up one notch and the treble down one. The lowdness button is a great thing at lower volumes also and fades out of the picture when you turn it up.

Craig

Well, the Khorns have WAY more bass than the La Scala or Heresy, just by design. In this regard, you are talking about a different animal altogether, as the extension is a good deal below those two, apart from the difference in horn vs non horn loaded bass. I found horn loaded bass very satisfying as well but have not heard it go below 45-50hz in any speaker. This is why I want to hear the Khorns again. The horn loaded bass I HAVE heard struck me as more articulate and airy, with less constriction and BOOM one note aspect. Although the Cornwall's bass with the WL 2A3 is VERY nice and defined with excellent warmth.

Well, I've listened to khorns for .... well, decades.

Their bass has totally spoiled me for any other bass. Every subwoofer, every 'full range' speaker, to the last man jack of them, sounds muddy and ill-defined. Boom boom bass, if you know what I mean.

Yes, it doesn't go below about 35Hz. But, hey, quality, not quantity? I read somewhere, perhaps during the 1950s, that there is no music program material below 35Hz, and that's why PWK set out to build a speaker capable of 9 octaves, not 10.

Be that as it may, room modes are a big thing with relation to bass. If the room isn't large enough, or if there are bad geometries in the LxW, then a person could be disappointed.

Further, holding in the bass notes is tough for typical 2x4 drywall construction techniques. In my case there are cement block walls with about a million tons of wet St. Paul clay outside them. Holds in those low notes pretty good.

So I guess what I'm saying is, your khorns can deliver very acceptable bass, but it's a bit more than making sure they're butt up against the walls. Oh, speaking of butt up against the walls, get some felt (the 2" strip type from the hardware store window insulation department) and staple it onto the vertical board that runs behind the woofer, so that discrepancies in the corners lines are filled with felt. And buy some foam tape in the same dept. and run it horizontally along the upper cabinets bottom, where it meets with the woofer, to seal in the woofer enclosure completely.

While you're at it, you could take off the access panel for the woofer and stuff a 2' section of R13 insulation into the woofer rear chamber, so it's about 1/2 full of insulation. Put the access panel back on, of course. Beware the wires coming from the woofer to the access panel, they are too short to allow the panel to fall to the ground when loose.

Mobile,

The Khorn may go lower (although I think this is mute considering most music doesn't generally go that low anyway) but the bass is of a similar sound and quality both horn loaded ! Is what I was getting at ! The bass on the heresy is no where near or even similar to my Lascalas and the RF-3 II's reach down to 35 hz so I just don't get your point hear !

Craig

Mobile,

I think Craig and Randy pinned it down-just a much tighter bass response than the norm.I put some spade connections on my speaker wires tonite (a pain to wrap the wires around the Scotts small screws) and listened to both one after another with the same music.

The bass which I didn't think was as prominent in the K-horns seemed actually overdone in the Cornwalls but,this is exactly what I am accustom to.

This is exactly what I am discussing in other threads...if you can't do a A/B in your own home between two speakers with the same recorded source than you can't rely on past experiences or what you ASSUMED what it sounded like.

Jeff

JCturbo

Where was i, LOL

Talk about ignore, sorry

Congrats on your Klipschorns, very nice, youre one of the lucky ones to have K-horns and cornwalls at once!

Just remember, the difference is i think on the Klipschorns, is like having the bass in the trunk, and the high end in the car, its kinda what the Klipschorns do!

Total separation!

There is no bass voice, like on a 2 way, or even 3 way speakers, so the folded horn, is just the boom boom bass and the rumble!

When you clean them up, take the woofers out gently, and carefully vacum the bass chamber out!

My woofers had dirt and dust build up, on the fronts, along the paper ridge!

Also you can take all the caps off the crossovers and clean the wood!

The tweeters are pretty delicate, i left them alone, i took the K-55-Vs off the 400s and cleaned them up, the screens!

Youd think even after owning these for 25 years, theyd keep them clean!

Also are you doing any upgrades?

Rewire what looks old, im not saying where, or what wire but i would rewire the woofers. I did of course, just never said so LOL!

Regards Jim

1.gif

Thanks Jim,

Luckily I didn't have much cleaning up to do besides a good dusting and some oiling as these are in excellent shape being 1994 models.The original owner swears they have less than 20 hours on them total so all I have to do is sit back and enjoy.Mod wise I think I'll leave them stock save for some updated speaker cables (I'm open for suggestions guys,hint hint).

These particular models has the recent AK-3 crossover so I won't have to update the crossovers as I hear these are very good left as they are.

Jeff