Veneer Matching

Dave A

I have a set of Forte II's with the front top strip of Walnut veneer in bad shape and removed. Bought a roll of veneer that will bond to the substrate with heat but my problem is duplicating that reddish aged color. Any suggestions? What is the best way to precisely cut this veneer for correct fit also and tips on this are welcome.

Razor knife & straightedge to cut the veneer.

Forte II should just be an oil but you may need to experiment with a few types as the oil has aged with the wood and may be sun faded as well proving difficult to find a combination that will be an exact match. Take your time and it will be worthwhile.

I have some Mahogany stain and and it made it very dark and not reddish. From what I gather looking around today I need a dye more than a stain and the Watco can be used. Can't seal or oil this until I have a decent color match. I have a lot to practice on before the install so there is that. I will try pictures tomorrow.

On 10/27/2018 at 7:10 AM, Ceptorman said:

Mainly trial and error on a scrap piece. Use a few different colors of stains, maybe even custom mixing some. It could take a while, you can't be in a hurry.

So I am finding out. It is worthwhile to learn but it would sure be nice to have a physical mentor for something like this. Trial and error gets tedious quickly.

34 minutes ago, Dave A said:

So I am finding out. It is worthwhile to learn but it would sure be nice to have a physical mentor for something like this. Trial and error gets tedious quickly.

Yes it does. I get frustrated when I don't see immediate progress. 

Some have good luck with Youtube, it is helpful.