Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
JohnJ

The Other Discs

Recommended Posts

I love LPs.

Recently they have become cost prohibitive for this fella currently without a radio station, heck without a main rig tuner too.

Rebuilding an anti-top-forty collection that started in the mid 70s, I've had to go with cds several times, and it's nice to be able to take them in the car too.

 

Not here to discuss the merits of one form of music reproduction over another.

I enjoy a lot of music and do have a threshold I can't tolerate but how my newly (two years ago) rebuilt stereo can sound with the digital stuff is impressive! The car just has a boom-box in it, but it's tolerable most of the time with the bass turned all the way down, I've considered un-wiring that darned subwoofer.

 

I firmly believe Vinyl Rules....... never had a reel to reel myself.

Some vinyl is better than others.

 

Some cds are better too.

Not just the fancy msfl one I got today  but some plain ones are engineered better than others with the depth and lifelike imaging of the sound that's reproduced.

 

Brought to my attention a couple of weeks ago here was how much I missed a cassette of mine that was just an edit of this magnificent recording.

Discogs to the rescue and for near mint to mint media for the Who's Quadrophenia LP it was close to and over two bills. Found a seller that was dealin' :) and landed this for a quarter of that.

 

IMG-20181027-203649.jpg

 

IMG-20181027-203715.jpg

 

 

:cool:

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have rather mixed (mostly bad) results with mfsl...

 

I try and check dynamic range of a release prior to buying a certain version... and yes, you have to pay more for most high dynamic range releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That surprises me @Schu.

They have consistently been better than the alternative for me. Especially when I prefer the original version of a recording and not the 25th anniversary revision.

I had read that the SACDs weren't all that they were cracked up to be.

My tunes are split between behind the doors and what's in the drawers of my cabinet, so I thought I would open a thread for those 4 3/4 discs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few hundred CDs in the collection with a high quality playback system 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I love LPs.

Recently they have become cost prohibitive for this fella currently without a radio station, heck without a main rig tuner too.

Rebuilding an anti-top-forty collection that started in the mid 70s, I've had to go with cds several times, and it's nice to be able to take them in the car too.

 

Not here to discuss the merits of one form of music reproduction over another.

I enjoy a lot of music and do have a threshold I can't tolerate but how my newly (two years ago) rebuilt stereo can sound with the digital stuff is impressive! The car just has a boom-box in it, but it's tolerable most of the time with the bass turned all the way down, I've considered un-wiring that darned subwoofer.

 

I firmly believe Vinyl Rules....... never had a reel to reel myself.

Some vinyl is better than others.

 

Some cds are better too.

Not just the fancy msfl one I got today  but some plain ones are engineered better than others with the depth and lifelike imaging of the sound that's reproduced.

 

Brought to my attention a couple of weeks ago here was how much I missed a cassette of mine that was just an edit of this magnificent recording.

Discogs to the rescue and for near mint to mint media for the Who's Quadrophenia LP it was close to and over two bills. Found a seller that was dealin' :) and landed this for a quarter of that.

 

IMG-20181027-203649.jpg

 

IMG-20181027-203715.jpg

 

 

:cool:

 

 

hey that's my wallet !

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I have a few hundred CDs in the collection with a high quality playback system 

 

Enlighten us, new tunes are always great!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dirtmudd said:

hey that's my wallet !

That malnourished hide???

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Enlighten us, new tunes are always great!

 

 

The current CD source system is

Cyrus CD8 SE with PSXR external power supply 

 

I have taken all my CDs off the shelf and are now housed in an alloy CD case 

Sometime in the future I will build my own design Record storage unit and re install the CD cabinets again 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I've got about two hundred of each now, the LP storage is full already have a foot tall stack removed. Cd's would take a few months to share them all here.

 

IMG-20181027-212814.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Think I've got about two hundred of each now, the LP storage is full already have a foot tall stack removed. Cd's would take a few months to share them all here.

 

IMG-20181027-212814.jpg

love that rack !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks man!

It's a pain to move..... took the drawers and half the lps out to move it when I tried out that sub a couple of months ago. Haven't moved it back yet!

 

IMG-20181027-213903.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Full Range said:

Yes very nice storage system 👍🏼

I'm running out of storage ..

 

with lps....

 

I started out with 14 +/- ....

when fullrange.. started his thread..

 

now I'm close to 200

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it seemed like it would handle a lot when I made it...... got room for a lot more cds but they're not my favorite medium for transport....

 

IMG-20181027-215035.jpg

 

 

These guys played the first Earthday Birthday in Orlando at Universal when this was out. Creed headlined that show. Some guy jumped onstage and kissed OLP's lead singer... not a peck but...like a spit swapper...singer hit him pretty quick and pushed him away and they walked off the stage after two songs if memory serves me right. stupid f*@@ot

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

That surprises me @Schu.

They have consistently been better than the alternative for me. Especially when I prefer the original version of a recording and not the 25th anniversary revision.

I had read that the SACDs weren't all that they were cracked up to be.

 

I found this to be true with mfsl vinyl also, not just their digital.  For me, when searching out for money is no object vinyl, my ear runs to half speed masters or 45 rpm versions of long playing records.

 

I am with you on sacd,  they can be very disappointing at times. I've never had a bad bluray audio or 5.1 re-master.

 

My physical media collection, like you guys, runs into the SEVERAL hundred (500-600+) each of digital and vinyl. It's slightly ridiculous really but what am I to do, I would hate to try and sell all those discs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of their records do seem bass heavy by design, but yea half-speeds are great any way you slice `em. Have any Audio Fidelity Vinyl @Schu?? They make some terrific 180 & 200 gram LPs, I have some SRV but they do a serious jazz label themselves also I think.

I'll share some of the Hybrid sacds I picked up in the last two years they're nice as cds go but you know what my preference is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

A couple of their records do seem bass heavy by design, but yea half-speeds are great any way you slice `em. Have any Audio Fidelity Vinyl @Schu?? They make some terrific 180 & 200 gram LPs, I have some SRV but they do a serious jazz label themselves also I think...

Several mofi... not all are great.

 

Another thing I have found is that a great sounding LP is independent of its final weight... 180/200 gram LP's can, and often do,  sound terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...