Neighbor from Hell.....

j-malotky

Wew, I am SOOO glad I live in a 21-home neighborhood where we would all (20/21 of us) shoot the guy or have any/some/all of the 4 lawyers (like real lawyers) take action to harass the hell out of them. Our neighborhood is VERY tolerent, but there is a line that should not be crossed here... 9.gif

So what's the big deal? The guy has odd taste? Doesn't conform to the whitebread suburban mentality? Expresses himself differently? Doesn't fit in?

I don't care if he lowers property values either, I see nowhere in The Constitution where high property values are protected. This person's freedom of expression is more important then property values.

Or does the vaunted freedom we Americans constantly thump our chests and crow about end when social conformity and property values are threatened?

And Kenny, you ain't shootin' nobody, I love the way you Far Westerners talk tough. You talk about German frou-frou cars one day and shooting people the next, right.

I guarantee one thing - if the person who created that page was the neighbor of any of us forum members, we would be screwed, since the Klipsch/Appropriate subwoofer combo would be the subject of said page.

While I will agree that burning the backyard/deck should not be a recreational activity, I've seen/met all too many complainer types such as this page designer. I get the impression that the neighbors "breaking wind" would prompt a call to the local city hall. If he's willing to go to the trouble to make a web page on the matter, I'm sure he has no trouble picking up his phone.

Speaking of covenants: I once was told at a property viewing that I could not use a grill to cook food on said property. I immediately made a "180" and left. As a rule I avoid covenant heavy properties/ordinance heavy cities, since the very hobbies/lifestyle that you enjoy could be against the ordinance.

Better yet, avoid having neighbors if at all possible. If the nearest human cannot hear your subs, it's all good9.gif

Too close to home for me. I have a near relative of this person living next door. Very funny site - I have sent it to my wife - we will pick out the similarities to our next door friends, but first count is about 8 very (scarily) similar stories. The primary difference with us is the neighbor starts but NEVER finishes a project (example: a hot tub gazebo that is designed to be attached to a deck that comes off the master bedroom exterior door has a plywood bridge that is three years old, mildewed and slanting).

Bear in mind we all have three plus acres out here, and our neighbor had to build as close as can be to our house. Above ground pool has developed leaks and busted three times, rolling down hill to my garage. There is the mandatory unfinished front yard fish pond, three (unfinished) sheds, two dead vehicles in the driveway, rarely used ski boat in the side yard and permanent, in need of repair, chain link fence. I went so far as to buy the fencing separating our yards so I could put up a privacy fence in lieu of his handy work.

It has been 15 years and this has become one of my favorite subjects. There are a dozen more stories that can provide all round good conversations at a bar. While I still get very POed at times, it has become a consistent form of entertainment. We have set our expectations hilariously low and they are still able to get under the bar. I am sure one day I will miss their particular brand of entertainment...

I think we just need to ask ourselves if we would want this person as OUR neighbor. If so, great!

We had a similar situation when I was a kid growing up in a suburb of NYC. It was a nice neighborhood -- minimum 1 acre lots. This family moved in next door, and turned what had been a park-like home into a 3rd world DMZ. Plastic trash bags full of household trash dumped in the stream out front, livestock (the chicken and rabbit variety) in cages on the side of the house (the chickens being slaughtered regularly for dinner). Mounds of German Shepard poop throughout the yard, left for months to create their own fertilizer. And, no fences around any of this stuff to block the view or innocent children from wandering in and disappearing forever.

We ended up putting up a stockade fence of our own to block the view.

Respect for others cuts both ways.

DD

What the....I didn't know that bastard was watchin me all those times. That's me! Soon I will post my own website and document the stuff that uptight ahole does.

I mean he washes off the driveway after he mows the grass washing all of those clippings in front of my house and all day long all I hear is that stupid weedwacker or leafblower or some other kind of lawn equipment buzzing away.

He lets that little yipper dog out to tourment my dog I mean its no wonder Spike hates them not to mention they way his damn kids tease Spike.

And he wants to talk about me and my christmas lights. He has so damn many lights up every time they blink the whole neighborhhod expiriences a short brown out.

Some people are just so damn uptight, I mean I'm not tring to infringe on his rights as a homeowner, it just happens to be working out that way. He needs to mind his own damn business and if my music is too loud at night I apologize to him.

I mean two parties and he calls the police both times! Come on man lighten up. I can see if it was an every weekend thing but jeez.

Anyone want some fresh spices? I am also looking for a good deal on a slightly used hibatchi. I will trade for my new book I just wrote 101 uses for metal coat hanger.

EJ6.gif

TBrannon says:

Or does the vaunted freedom we Americans constantly thump our chests and crow about end when social conformity and property values are threatened?

When they start infringing on somebody elses rights. For example, as far as I could care, you could listen to whatever kind of music that turns you on, but you do not have the right to blast it so friggan loud that it could be heard three houses down, especially at 2 in the morning! I have just as much right to a quiet and peaceful existance without having to put up with somebody elses crap.

Yes, I feel that people should be able to express themselves as freely as they wish, but at the same time, there are responsibilities that comes with those rights and freedoms. You have to balance your individual rights and freedoms along with the responsibilities of being a responsible member of society as a whole.

Also to add - I noticed on that website listed in the initial posting of this thread that this "JD8" was dumping old oil into a hole he dug in his yard. That is a blatanly illegal (a federal offense), especially since used oil is considered a hazardous waste. If he was caught doing that, he would most certainly been fined very heavily (or perhaps even serve a jail sentence) as well as be required to pay for cleanup (which can be extremely expensive). Where in your much vaunted rights do you find that we should be able to dump old oil anywhere we feel? We are not allowed, not even on our own properties.

Steven---There's a difference between intruding on people's peace and offending their aesthetics, with the exception of the loud parties and the oil all this fella has done is have a different sense of taste and have a laid-back attitude to things that obsess many suburbanites. For which I admire him. Hell Steven, you're a Hillbilly, I'd think you'd stick-up for the guy.

My take on the whole aethetics thing in a neighborhood is again a balance of personal expression and being a responsible citizen. As far as I am concerned, the guy could decorate up his house and yard anyway he sees fit, as long as it doesn't create a public nuisance/hazard and stays within the laws of the land (i.e., having chickens, geese, and pigs running around all over the place in an area where livestock is not allowed, loud music, leaving a barking dog out all night, etc).

But at the same time, lets use some responsibility and not make the place look like something that belongs in a third world country, especially in a suburban type neighborhood (i.e., leaving the lawn uncut, junked cars parked all over the place, trash laying around all over the place, etc). The people do live in these neighborhoods with an expectation of what the general neighbohood should be like aesthetically. Now, living way out in the boon-docks with nobody around? Knock yourself out for all I care!

There are some neighborhoods that do like to try to maintain a certain look, thus all the HOAs (home oweners associations) and thier covenants. If planning to buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA, it is your responsibility to look over all the covenants of that neighborhood and then decide if you want to live there, despite or because of them (there may be other things about the neighborhood you like, access to good schools, nearby shopping, easy access to the interstate or commuter railroad, etc). Fortunatly, my neighborhood doesn't have an HOA (plus it is very easy access to the shopping, interstate, etc - although right now, I am wondering if easy access to the interstate is a good thing), which is one reason I chose the neighborhood that I did.

You want to talk about taking it to extremes? Has anybody caught that TV movie that was just on the Sci-Fi channel - "The Colony" (John Ritter)? Talk about a "strict" neighborhood!

Im glad you are all getting a kick out of this site. My wife sent me the link at work, now the whole office is talking about it.

Here is a True Story - I use to work with a guy who got so pissed off because the neighbors cat use to come into his yard and crap in his kids sandbox all the time. Everytime he saw the cat in his sandbox, or the kids found a new turd, he would march over to the neighbor and tell them to get the cat out of his yard etc. etc. The neighbor always would always argue stating "My cat never leaves our yard" Well one morning while eating breakfast, he sees the cat comming over to the sandbox. He grabs his shotgun and shoots the cat as it is doing its thing in his kids sandbox. The neighbors all come running to see what happened including the cats owner. The owner screaming, how could you shoot my cat. My coworker answers him, it can't be your cat, your cat does not leave your yard.

This is true, he got a ticket for discharging a firearm which he kept in his desk.

JM

I kinda aggree though, he can build however much crap and pools filled with spices as he wants, but the music in the middle of the night and other things like that shouldn't be allowed. but after all, we all have klipsch, and have all told stories about the people next door getting mad at us eh? looking at the pictures infront of his house, it looked pretty tidy to me.

That can happen in every place on this world, in germany too.

We live since 1 1/2 years in a house with 4 neighbors. Our two neighbors in the 1st floor were good friends and had often garden parties with open fire in front of our sleeping room til 5 o' clock in the morning. Late in the night they played often table soccer. I felt then they would move their furnitures in the middle of the night. But what luck three months ago. One of these two guys left the house and took the girlfriend of the neighbor next door with him. Now silence for heaven.