About my 1980 La Scalas

I'm the original owner of a pair of 1980 La Scalas. All original equipment, never been touched. I've been reading a lot about what many say is the need  to update the crossovers or at least the capacitors. And others who advocate replacing the tweeters and midrange horns. Now the speakers sound just fine to me, as fine as ever. But they're almost 40 years old and I know nothing lasts forever. So how does one know whether these types of repairs are necessary? What do the Klipsch engineers recommend? Thanks.

Edited by Jeff-Kuczora
Spelling
  • Like 2

@Jeff-Kuczora welcome to a fantastic forum.

Wish I hadn't taken so long to get the courage to throw the dough for LaScalas! 

Nothing sounds like a LaScala. Or FEELS like it!

Having said that, I have gone through various versions now having had them with firstly AL-3, then AL, AA, and now A/4500 crossovers, CT-125 and CT-120 tweeters.

I thought they ALL sounded great with my mid-fi NAD C372 integrated.

It has been stated here before, and I have come to embrace this philosophy as well: whatever you do, make sure it is reversible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, geoff. said:

It has been stated here before, and I have come to embrace this philosophy as well: whatever you do, make sure it is reversible.

Dang, I just put away my circular saw... 😬

• Haha 1