Heresy 2 plus build

Dave S

Yesterday I installed the new MAHL tweeter lenses with B&C DE10 drivers I got from Dave A.  I have only had a chance to listen to a couple LP's and CD's so they are probably not fully run in yet but initial results are very good.  They replace the stock Klipsch K 76 horns with  upgraded titanium  diaphragms from Bob Crites. Granted my old ears cannot hear the full range of either driver but what I could hear is the DE10s  sounded a bit less intense and bright.  Very nice full range which seemed to my ears to enhance the  stock K53 mids a bit more.  A bit less sibilance with female vocalists on both CDs and LPs.   Dave did a beautiful job of machining the large MAHLs and they fit exactly like the stock K76 horns.  Dave was also very helpful with his advice and very prompt shipping.  I am also grateful to this group for all of the information I gleaned from the various articles from members.  I would never have known about these upgrades without this group.  

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I finally finished the built.  I will show a few pictures of the veneered cab and the drivers I selected.  Went with an A-55G squawker from Bob Crites on a 700 horn that I covered with Dynamat.  Now to find some time to listen to them. 

Heresy 2 plus a.jpg

Heresy 2 plus b.jpg

Heresy 2 plus c.jpg

• Like 2

I only have a couple hours of play on the speakers but what I have noticed so far is the A-55 G squawkers are more detailed and and natural sounding with both Male and female voices compared to the K53s.  I need more time for critical listening and I will be the first to admit I am terrible at describing what I hear. The DE10 tweeters are less harsh and bright than the K76 with titanium diaphragms.  Very easy on the ears and non fatiguing.  But again subtle changes may occur after more break in. Whether or not you believe in speaker break in vs your own perception. I personally believe in component break in. So far, I like what I hear. Lots of bass punch, and quite detailed midrange.  I will report more after more time with them.

• Like 1

Thank  you.  External dimensions are 16 x 16 x 29.5 inches.  Internals are 14.5 wide x 14 deep x 28 inches.  So far, I am quite happy with the build and the drivers chosen.  I have had a lot of different speakers in my time and these are the best sounding so far.  I realize these are not Klipsch speakers but do have Klipsch designed crossovers and contain the K 700 horns so some  of you probably take offence that I called them Heresy 2 plus.  I should rather call them Klipsch inspired speakers and an homage to PWK, who I feel is a true pioneer  in his field.  

14 minutes ago, Dave S said:

Thank  you.  External dimensions are 16 x 16 x 29.5 inches.  Internals are 14.5 wide x 14 deep x 28 inches.  So far, I am quite happy with the build and the drivers chosen.  I have had a lot of different speakers in my time and these are the best sounding so far.  I realize these are not Klipsch speakers but do have Klipsch designed crossovers and contain the K 700 horns so some  of you probably take offence that I called them Heresy 2 plus.  I should rather call them Klipsch inspired speakers and an homage to PWK, who I feel is a true pioneer  in his field.  

I kind of fall in the same boat as you do with my Belle clones that I built.  The only thing that's "original from Klipsch" are the original K-500 horns and the top hat grills with emblems.  I do have the original Type AA crossovers but they aren't in them as I built a new set of AA's.  I agree with the above in bold and think of mine the same way....especially since I could never find a decent set local that were reasonable and/or looked good so I built a pair.  Plus, by the time you start changing things out, etc., I believe I came out just fine.  And they are in ribbon mahogany which seems to be quite rare in Belles.

Thanks avguytx.  You did a very impressive job on your Belle Clones.  I love the ribbon mahogany.   And finallygotmyheresi, thank you for your kind words.  The midhorn opening trim is because I changed plans and had to fill in the cut out I did for the stock K53 K701 horn flange when I switched to the K 700 rear mount horn.  It worked out but I created more work for myself.  I still have to paint the screw heads bronze to match Dave A's MAHL lenses that I painted satin bronze.  Still debating if I should darken in his engraved trim lines.  The devil is in the details.  😉 

Update on the speakers after about 15 hours of use.  The biggest improvement seems to be the soundstage has opened up and fills the room much better now.  My wife came in last night while I was playing some music and she asked what I did to make them sound so much better.  Just played them.  Anyone who has the Pugh/Taylor Project albums, that is a great test of how a trombone should sound through your speakers.  I was blown away on how real and present the horns sounded.  I played trombone for many years and know what they sound like and I swear if I was blindfolded, I would have said it was a live performance just feet away from me.  As PWK said, the test of a speaker is how well they make the impossible task of reproducing a live performance sound.  

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 4/30/2019 at 11:26 AM, Dave S said:

Menlo Bob, they are tuned to 45 hz  with a 4 inch port 4 inches long.  The crossovers are Heresy 2  by Bob Crites.  

Hi Dave, I know this is an old thread but was wondering if you could help me out. are the crossover parts the same spec as a stock heresy ii? The reason I ask is because I emailed Crites about putting the a55g drivers in and he informed me that I could not do that without making changes. I am also looking to build a bigger ported cabinet for my hII's and figured I should make some tweeter and mid upgrades while im in the process. your response would be much appreciated!