The MicroZOTL MZ3 is a one-watt Speaker Amp!

MeloManiac

58 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

They are a true competitor to Martin guitars

I fully agree with this. Taylor has come up with new tools and techniques which they have also shared with other companies. They are also leading the way in forest management and environmental impact. Beautiful looking and sounding guitars. I just can't afford one anymore.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I just fail to see where, in the low source impedance signal path, the having a capacitor in series in an amplifier box is any different than having one in series in a crossover box, both being in the same signal path, ahead of the loudspeaker. I was speaking of PRINCIPLES and using your particular quote as a springboard for my comment. Which one "sounds better" without corroborating measurments, or going through a NULL TEST, with a signal, is just another OPINION. Nothing more.

This, IN MY OPINION, is correct.  Be careful, Claude.  I suggested a null test a while back and was accused of being fat and advised to shine lasers up my nose.

15 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

This, IN MY OPINION, is correct.  Be careful, Claude.  I suggested a null test a while back and was accused of being fat and advised to shine lasers up my nose.

Speaking of lasers.........I used to subscribe to Photonics/Spectra Mag. Pretty dry stuff, but in the back pages, you could buy a T-shirt with the Industry Standard Laser Symbol of Caution. The T shirt read: "CAUTION, do NO look into LASER with remaining eye!!

Who says nerds don't have a sense of humor!! Even if some of their signals are capacitor coupled to block out any DC drift!!!!

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Speaking of lasers.........I used to subscribe to Photonics/Spectra Mag. Pretty dry stuff, but in the back pages, you could buy a T-shirt with the Industry Standard Laser Symbol of Caution. The T shirt read: "CAUTION, do NO look into LASER with remaining eye!!

Who says nerds don't have a sense of humor!! Even if some of their signals are capacitor coupled to block out any DC drift!!!!

LOL, believe it or not, I have that very sign on a laser at work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I have a question for you .  Why all this discussion on OTL amps??

In audio, it is generally agreed upon, that of the three ways of coupling a signal, they range, from worst-sounding to best-sounding, as follows :

Capacitor coupling

Transformer coupling 

Direct coupling.

"OTL" stands for " Output Transformer Less  ". 

In the case of every OTL amp schematic I seen, the amp couples to the speaker through NOT an Output Transformer, and NOT directly from the Finals tubes, but through a big capacitor, in place of the Output Transformer. 

Given the goodness-pecking-order, at the top of this post,  why would anyone pursue "OTL" topology, and couple to the speaker through a capacitor, .....which is the worst-sounding coupling choice of all  three ????

We maybe should more accurately be calling these amps, not OTLs, nor " DCLs ", but rather,  " CC " amps,  as in " Capacitor Coupled  ".

Jeffrey Medwin

I can’t make a reply about capacitor coupling vs OTL tech.  The original OP indicated the LTA gear was overvalued (3000 mark up on 300 dollars worth of parts).  I was replying to that conclusion.

My intent wasn’t to solicit further questions or provide answers on the ZOTL tech.  I would be ill advised to speak on it.  I’m not telling anyone what to purchase; it’s subjective...meaning...depends on what you like.  I would imagine that includes the ‘goodness-pecking order’ for all gear.  We all have our own ears to answer to; so my opinion nor anyone else’s matter (no matter the fact or fiction behind the gear tech or pricing).

My point of writing about the LTA ZOTL gear is to simply offer that it’s pricing may be out of reach for some but it doesn’t mean it’s overvalued for what it offers to those seeking a HP amp/pre-amp/power amp to pair with highly efficient speakers. I imagine the ZOTL tech is for a niche group of followers as many are likely unfamiliar with the patented tech.   I’m not an adopter of any particular audio tech per se but I love the way the MZ3 LTA HP amp sounds.  At the end of the day...all that matters to me...is what I hear coming out of the speakers.  

My precaution about this audio thread...one would have to actually own LTA gear & use it (as described) in your system with efficient speakers...as the LTA designs are low wattage amps...for the most part; if the intent is to drive full range speakers...before drawing any conclusion over the ZOTL tech or pricing.  

I lived with the MZ3 HP amp for a couple of months now...and I can say it works for me.  I had a Lab12 OTL tube amp; it was ok...but I didn’t care for the low level background/feedback noises it generated.  I prefer the black-ground of the ZOTL tech; albeit it isn’t a traditional OTL tube design (nor is it advertised as such).  I’ve owned a Woo Audio WA8...again...ok...wonderful sound quality...overtime I wanted less coloration to the sound quality; albeit it offered that wonderful ‘tubeyness‘ in a transportable package.  

The ZOTL tech imparts a sound signature that seems to straddle the middle road...between solid state, tube, transform-less designs...so...it’s a reasonable compromise for me...as nothing’s perfect or ideal.

My intent is to encourage others to try (demo) LTA gear if they’re in the market for  any of their offerings (within their personal budget of course).  I am not offering any logic for anyone to do so.  It’s a personal choice that they’ll have to make if they are inclined to do so.  It may be ‘overvalued’...or the coupling tech may be considered ‘inferior’...but I’m reminded these terms are subjective in most cases. 

You have to hear it...live with it for awhile...and then make the conclusion based on what you hear & experience in your own set up.  But hey...if you think it’s overpriced & the coupling tech is inferior then by all means don’t buy it. I would think that’s a personal given (no further explanation’s needed to educate others not to purchase it if they’ve concluded the same).