Super Amp DJH is Gone

Deang

Thanks for the comments, Mike. Really appreciated here. And you are right, I burn time up in here like a water through a seive! If only I got paid to ramble within these walls. It seems the more I have due, the more I cant resist! Ye olde procrastination habits from school days are hard to live down, especially when working from home. Let's just say if I put all my time to proper use, I might be free of monitary worry! heh.... indeed.

kh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you end up getting the AQ cable? You did right? What did you think? I havent heard the later stuff so all my opinion is based on older designs and I had quite a few AQ products in the 80s and 90s.

KKKWIK_000.jpg

Kimber Kwik-12 in a 100ft bulk roll

One of the best cheap, cheap cable a buddy of mine with Wright Sound gear is talking about is the lowest quality wire from Kimber called the Kimber Kwik-12. Yeah, this stuff does NOT look impressive but he loves it with his 79 Cornwalls, Wright Sound 3.5, Wright Sound WLA-12a, and 99 Tjoeb CDP. I did hear his Wrights with the Kwik 12 and sounded pretty good to me but I have not had a chance to really compare it with something like the Risch design. But the Kwik 12 is scary cheap and is basically made to insert IN WALL for HT installations and new home stuff. Crazy, eh? The thing is, Tom Hoffman who is the freak who first showed me the Cary 300se SET back in 89-90, recommends this stuff highly as bang for buck winner and damn good on top of that.

The problem? I havent heard it. I am skeptical. And ole Tom can stretch the truth! heh... But my buddy bought it and likes it a lot (but what does he know). Is my cable better? Probably, more than likely. But this deserves a look for the cost. Hell, Tom is selling it for about $1.25 ft. I might pick up some for the EICO.

I'll throw out some other options in a bit.

kh

EDIT: I have to TRY that KWIK-12 first, actually. The more I think about it, the more skeptical I become. I will see him this weekend and give a listen to the whole rig again (Tjoeb 99, Wright WLA-12a, Wright 3.5 Monos, KWIKIE-12, 79 CW with Alnico and oils).

I did get the AQ Type 4, one terminated 25ft pair from AA and a second pair from a ebay auction Jazman and I won.

Jazman has some of the mid level (AQ Bedrock) cables and planned to do some comparisons vs the AQ Type 4 when time allowed. Perhaps Edmond can chime in here...

FWIW - I'm perfectly happy with the AQ Type 4 with the Klipsch RB5s, and don't see myself replacing them any time soon. The other pair I got from Jazman are driving the Cornwalls. They also sound very good, but I am willing to spend a bit more on the Cornwall setup if moderate sonic benefits could be heard over the Type 4.

One cable that has really made a difference is the Silver Audio Hyacinths. (Thanks Edmond) More money than I ever thought I would spend on a IC, but after a week of running with it, I can honestly say it has made a improvement of every aspect of the sound. More detail, better mids and highs, improved focus, and soundstage has deepened. I was never a believer of expensive cables until now. I now need to get another pair for connection from pre-amp and amp.

BTW: As a testimony to your (kh) excellent ongoing advice, the 2A3 Sovteks you had suggested are installed and are sounding darn good. They have only been in a couple of days now, but I can already tell I like them. Hard to believe I only paid $55 for the pair.

I believe the new cabling, ICs and AQ speaker cable have allowed much much more of the sonic SET magic to come through. The EICO sounds great, but the AES / Wrights combo sounds dam incredible.

- tb

An Email this morning confirmed that I'm the new owner of the Welborne Apollo Monoblocks.

It will be interesting to see how my "tube unfriendly" RF7's respond to SET amps designed for tube unfriendly speakers.

The seller was supposed to email me last night letting me know whether or not they were mine. No email as of 2:30 A.M. -- so I threw in the towel. I went to bed figuring it was probably for the best. I had prayed about it, asking God to put them out of my reach if it was a bad move. I was content not getting them. When I saw the email Saturday morning, my heart doubled it's pace and I felt like doing the funky dance thing. Gee, I guess I really wanted them:)

I don't believe cables make any difference whatsoever, which is why I just bought some Music Metre Silvers for this system. Well, it's not everyday you can pick up some $700 speaker cables for $160. This is actually my attempt to once and for all settle in my own mind whether they make any real world difference or not. I still don't see how going from copper 'a' to copper 'b' can do much of anything -- but if cables make a difference, going from copper to silver should reveal it.

I settled some time ago that birwiring definitely makes a difference. It's actually pretty easy to hear. It's extremely easy to hear when you drive up the SPL. However, I have no idea how SET will will respond to it.

Should be an interesting week coming up. Hopefully it won't be "interesting" in the Chinese kind of way.

YYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YYYYYEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ALLLLLLLLLLRRRRRRRIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTT YYYYYOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW

Totally Awesome Dude LOL !!!!!!!

Craig

Now that's more like it!!!

Think I'll break 'em in with some Pearl Jam, something a little more laid back than usual.

It's time to see what all the fuss is all about. It'll take me all of about 15 seconds to see if SET can actually deliver the TONE of a Marshall Stack. The Super Amp came close, and certainly closer than anything else I've ever owned in the past.

Pearl Jam !!!!!!!!!!!! You need a Scott Dude !! They really Rock this is why I think I like them better than the Eico's they just seem to handle the hard transients of Rock and Roll better at anything above 8 watts of output. Your going to find the 299 a treat when it finally reaches you !! I'm now listening to AndyKubs 222D and the Transformer in this beast really scream turn me up !! The only thing I don't like about this 222D compared to my 299 or a 222C is it has way to many Bells and whistles mucking up the circuit it has a Head Phone Jack and a Powered center channel and also the normal derived center that is unamplified along with the usual phase reversal switch. All this seems to adversely effect the stereo seperation and induce channel cross talk. I just hate to butcher it all out of the circuit it renders the amp worth alot less.

Craig

That's why I'm desperately hoping Kelly let's it go. I want a good backup amp that I can throw in when I want to push the envelope a little. Now, the Apollos are not your "typical" SET amps, which is why I was willing to consider them. It's not just SET, but 18 watts of SET. I should get 95db with some headroom to boot. I'm really looking forward to comparing an EL84 based Pentode to the Apollos. I'm sure I would have a lot to say.

What do you think of the following comments Craig?

"All the 299 series are stellar performers, but due to their small physical size, they have always had problems with heat. Because of this, most need power supply capacitors and plate resistors right off the bat. As with any amp this old, you MUST replace the coupling capacitors and bias rectifier. The 299C should always have it's first filter capacitor replaced. This is the can near the rectifier and power transformer. Because of the amount of heat in that area, this capacitor likes to develop shorts."

I know you have some definite ideas of what is best, and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

I emailed Kelly the other night, and we kind of went back and forth, and the best I could get out of him was that "we might be able to work something out." I'm not sure what he had in mind though. If I can wrench the Scott from him, I would like to twist your arm into using some REL Thetas or Auricaps in there for the coupling caps.

Well the comments where ever you got them from are true to some extent but he is refering to a 299C which is indeed a big heat producer. I personally have 6 Scott amps and I have never lost the first filter capacitor yet !! Its not hard to tell if its having trouble with a scope. Although there are no garrantees but this Can will always give you the tell tale hum when its going bad so its in my Opinion a "If it ain't broke don't fix it Item". I usually play it like this if any of the cans are bad just replace them all and be done with it. If there all good leave it alone. The rest of his statement is right on target.

As far as Auricaps I will give you a better answer after I install and listen to them in Chris's HF-81 and compare it to my Vintage Russian Military ones in my HF-81. But to be honest I think there a waste of money and I don't care for the Leads on them at all. I bet the sound results are similar. But its up to the Amp owner what I put in !! Its all fun to me !!

I was under the impression Kelly didn't want the amp and only wanted to Audition it and would only buy it if he had too. He's wanting his cake and eat it too !! Audition and then decide LOL !!

Craig

A few comments...

Deang,

Whoopie on the amps.

As I remember you do not own Hertiage or Classic yet; if you can find a deal on Heresy, Chorus, Forte, or Cornwall, they would be interesting to compare to the RF-7 with the new amps. You have to be a little worn out after the DQ 10 refurb

Electric guitars as well as accoustic sound much better on the Chorus IIs in the 2 weeks I have had them, than my RB-5s with the same source and cables.

More musical!

-------------

I have never found a good deal on Kimber although I would like to try. I have used their digital interconnect with no complaints. Biwire type 6 AQ is much better than single wire type 6 for "depth of soundstage"

AQ type 4 is plenty for the Chorus with the SS amplification at this time.

Good luck with the apollos, I hope you get the extra umph or whatever you are searching for with the RF-7's

What the hell does this thing use for a output tube?!

The ones you purchased have KR300's right?

Welborne had them with a VV52?

Is this a higher current military variant of the 300B?

Like the VT52, the heavy-duty military variant of the 45?

I do know the 6EA7 is a dissimilar double triode for use as a vertical deflection oscillator and amplifier in television receivers.

Just a good ol' TV tube, no military versions, no exotic versions.

I dought if there is euro versions, just RCA/Tungsol and GE.

Go with Tungsol, JMHO.

I hope you guys are talking about older Pearl Jam, you'd be pretty hard pressed to rock out on the new stuff!

The REL Thetas are the king of film and foil, and can be used for VDC's of 600 and 200. However, there are limited values for 600VDC. The Thetas are carried by Jeff at www.soniccraft.com

REL designs different caps for different applications, and the value and VDC together will determine the best cap. I researched caps for a month, and lost several chromosomes in the process. It's insane the claims manufactures and people make regarding different caps. I felt RELCAP (Reliable Capacitor) offered the most information regarding their products(www.capacitors.com), along with a great reputation. I also traded some email with Richard Marsh, and was really impressed with him as a person. I used the middle of the road PPMFX Multicap (internally bypassed) polypropylenes. They transformed the DQ-10's I just restored. I bought all my caps from Mike Percy at www.percyaudio.com

Once I know the values and VDC's of the caps you want to yank, I'll have an easier time figuring out what I want to try.

I'm also at the disadvantage of not having your direct experience. I know what I think about caps in speakers, but don't know crappola about amp circuits. You have the advantage of having tried a few things, and that's important. What happens will also depend of the quantity of parts you want to change. This relates to the money thing. I just shelled out for the Apollos, and my ever tolerant wife is ready to hang my testicles off the front porch for public display.

I need to catch up -- I'm still reading through all of yours and Kelly's old posts about the Scotts and Eicos of the world.

Tim,

Sorry to say I've had no time to do comparisons. I had to sneak away from providing homework assistance to peep in on the forum. It's good to hear the Hyacinths are settling and providing the sonic rewards.

Deang,

Congratulations on the new amps and hope you have something you will keep longer than a few months. You've had more amps in the last 9 months than I've had in 5 years. If not, I'm sure your search will eventually find "the one". I also hope you can connect that amp to some "real" horns before thinking it won't work for you.

Klipsch out.

Jazman, have I really been that bad?

Amps

Anthem Amp1

Bryston 3B-ST

AE-25 Super Amp

AE-25 Super Amp DJH

Wellborne Apollos

Preamps

Anthem Pre1L

Bryston BP-20

Sonic Frontiers Line 1

AE-3 DJH

I guess it is kind of ugly, but not too bad. Isn't this somehow Kelly's fault? I'm certainly not taking responsibilty for it:):)

Heck, who's looking for right amp? I'm just checking out all the different flavors!

Mike, I don't know if the 300BXLS is a military varient or not, but it is a high current 300B.

Deang,

I'm should be buying a boat load of parts from Percy audio this week. He has the Kiwame Rististors I want to give a try.

The values required in a Scott 299 are

4- .022 MFD @ 400VDC} 600 VDC would be fine

4- .047 MFD @ 400VDC} " "

4- .1 MFD @ 400VDC} " "

2- .0012 MFD @ 400VDC} " "

I personally think that Capacitor make a huge difference in these amps. Mostly because there is so darn many of them. When I first tried the Vintage Russian ones I've been using the difference in detail and sound feild was amazing over the Orange Drop 716P.

Craig

deang,

I've been out for the weekend, pruning a cherry tree on Nantucket .. no kiding .. missed your deal on the Welborne amps. I think you're the pioneer. You've heard the Superamp and now a SET with RF-7s.

I enjoy my RF-7s. they have a coherence that the Fortes, in all their smoothness, seem to lack. I find the Fortes more perfect and the RF-7s more real. With the Fortes I'm in the recording studio. With the RF-7s, I'm at the concert.

I'm sure you'll love the amps and I can't wait for your report.

leok

I think the coherence of the RF-7 just comes from being an old fashioned two-way.

Surprises me you would think the Fortes are smoother. Interesting. I imagine I'll eventually have some Scalas, or something equally obnoxious downstairs.

I'm still thinking about building some Cornwall types with parts from Layne Audio. Maybe next year.