Concert levels?

Jim Cornell

Has anyone ever turned up thier Klipsch to concert levels!

I hit an absolute concert level at 3 and a half = 25 watts per channel on the solid state amp i still have here!

I had a freind over and was playing the scorpions the ZOO

and these k-horns just blew me away!

With the altec 511b mods, i didnt even wake the 3 kids, it was amazing!

I do have a question, people blow diaphrams, i would like to know how?

Also im still new to the K-55-Vs, are they a solid driver with a strong diaphram?

Are the K-55-Vs 1inch voice ciols?

I took down my tweeters to check the diaphrams, its a worried feeling i get, and they were just fine!

In the past i have NEVER fried any Klipsch speakers!

I had KG 5.5s once, i blew the cabinets apart, but never fried the drivers LOL!

These Klipschorns are 22 years old, and boy do they still play well!

I caint see the K-33-E, but im sure at 25 watts, it was only moving 1/4 inch!

Its a pretty solid woofer!

One of my K-77-Ms on the coil, there is black around the perimeter, i lightly sanded the black wear off, but did i also remove a protective coating, and should i replace the diaphram?

Regards Jim

2nd answer...

....overdriving them with more power than they were designed to handle.

As long as you don't drive your 25 watt amp into clipping -- you're not going to hurt anything. Jim!! You know this crap already!!

Also, with 25 watts on a horn loaded 15" driver -- I bet it wasn't moving at all, much less a 1/4".

I know Dean

The only way id see replacement on a driver would be age, my sytems pretty clear. The SS pyramid, or my conrad johnson tube!

I had a black film over the coil on one of my tweeters, i just lightly sanded it off, now its more clear and pretty clean!

Now what speaker can you take out the coil sand it and it sounds great LOL!

The marvels of Klipsch!

It does take a lot to get the K-33-Es moving, i had to reach concert levels with my cornwalls to get them to move, the only way id move them at a lower volume would be to play 1812 overture on tellark, the real cannons cd, i have here!

Anyway at the time i have the tubes down and the SS up, to me theres no sound difference, that pisses me off!

I think its the Klipshorns sounding so great,, they would sound very good on anything!

Clock radio, ghetto blaster ETC!

The Phase linear at 0 i can still hear the tweeter, and the phono output sucked, so im back to the pioneer as a pre amp till i can get a decent pre amp for my tubes!

Also my 3rd opinion on diaphrams would be an EQ, the king of driver killers!

Regards Jim

1.gif

Jim,

Yes I do listen sometimes to heavy metal and electronic at near concert levels!The peaks swing past 120dB easy and the average is around 110dB(if not more).Anything more and my ears would ring LOL

I use classig big heavy duty solid state with my Klipsch(ATI 1505 and 2505)so power is not a problem.In fact the 2505 can deliver all the power the RF7's can handle and still not go into clipping!This was never aproached as my ears would probably bottom out and be near rupture. LOL

I like to listen to classic Genesis(not the newer Genesis),live concerts here are best for high SPL listening.

And yes EQ's are a major cause of problems,its too easy to saturate the speakers with distorted signal and damage drivers.The classic "smile" preset is a known tweeter killer and also known to damage woofers.To add insult to injury often the freaks who overdrive their systems have inferior speakers and amp,hence the need for the boost.Results are known,roasted voice coils.

High efficiency Klipsch (in my case, Cornwall II's) are most certainly capable of concert levels - although I will state that "concert levels" is a subjective term, but generally in the 90-110db range.

The critical aspect of Klipsch's ability to give "concert level" volume is the ability of Klipsch speakers to play distortion free. Also, Klipsch have the ability to duplicate the dynamics of the music: from pianissimo to fortissimo, the Klipsch capture that feel just like you are at the concert. If it shook the hall, it will shake your house (especially if appropriate subwoofers are used).

I spend more time listening to live concert material than anything else. If the recording is of high quality, believe me when I say that Klipsch (especially Heritage, KLF, and RF) are one of the MOST capable speakers for this application.

Ear is correct when he says "watch the EQ". When using the Klipsch for high volume, set the EQ and/or bass & treble flat.

The olny thing i've ever blowen in the past 20 years is fuses. My k-horns have been driven threw the years with many different amps, Threshold - nak-pa7- conrad - rotel.

none have done any damage to anything but fuses.And believe me when i say " I PLAY IT LOUD " . Ear ringing is one thing but getting a soar back from the pounding bass is another.