Klipsch Jubilee still waiting on DEQX

charbuggie

As some know I bought Jubes and bought the Radian PB950 BE drivers.  They have been sitting there for two weeks waiting on a DEQX.  I have my old trusty Pass Labs X250 for the Bass bins and tomorrow the pass labs XA25 will be here.  I'm still going to be waiting several more weeks on the DEQX.  

So I have been looking for other options and there is a good deal on a Marchand  XM126 out there right now and get me a Manley Massive Passive to EQ with.  I wonder how that combo would work out to use for crossover and EQ?  I can get Marchand to get me the four cards to cross at 500 with 24db slopes for $60.  I know the time alignment and phase will be a little off but my gut tells me this setup would have character.  Anyone have any thoughts on this??

This situation reminds me of my own beginning experiences with the Jubilees, beginning in late 2007. I was using two brand new Crown XTi-1000 amplifiers (low cost and fairly powerful PA amplifiers with embedded DSP crossovers) and stock K-69-A compression drivers in the K-402 horns. 

Initially, I had no settings whatsoever for the crossover and equalization of the Jubilees, and not having a good measurement rig/microphone, I simply had to use my ears to decide what settings sounded better or worse.  So I set the crossover filters at 450 Hz Linkwitz-Riley 24 dB/octave (fourth order) and adjusted the HF channel gain relative to the low frequency channel gain to get about the right amount of bass response.  It sounded "promising", i.e., I could hear at brief moments that the Jubilees sounded quite good, but my wife and I both knew that there was a lot more tweaking that was required.  I listened to those settings for perhaps two weeks in the evenings after work, learning to use the EQ filters and other settings within the XTi's--first by the front panel settings, then via the "System Architect" application that Harmon/Crown provided free of charge that allowed USB control of the XTi-1000 settings visually/graphically via a PC laptop.

Eventually, Roy Delgado found another Jubilee owner that had Crown XTi settings that Roy developed for the stock Jubilee using the Hope anechoic chamber, and asked him to post the screen shots of the PEQs for each input and output channel.  So I duplicated those settings and turned on a CD (Patricia Barber's Live: A Fortnight in France).  Immediately, the sound of the Jubilees was transfigured.  First, it was the deep and effortless bass line that held my attention.  Then it quickly shifted to the overall presentation which was a much smoother and much larger soundstage image than the Khorns that I had used as my reference in the same room corners beforehand.

That was the beginning of my journey, now 12 years ago.  I then embarked on a learning/discovery path to improving the sound.  First I replaced the K-69-A drivers about 20 months later with TAD TD-4002s. Then I acquired an ElectroVoice Dx38 DSP crossover and much better amplifiers.  Since that time, there have been many such sound improvements over the years, and each change in sound quality has been like a new audio journey causing me to cycle through my reference recordings to hear the differences.

I suppose that it might have been more immediately gratifying to have bypassed all those incremental sound quality upgrades over time, and proceeded to the sound that I experience now.  For me, however, each step in the journey has been even more gratifying in itself, as I learned about all the pieces of the puzzle that affects the sound quality--not the least of which was the room acoustics/treatments and the exact placement of the Jubilees in the room corners.  Each improvement not only was a treat for my ears, but a learning experience that has served me well over time to understand how to make the sound better, and to identify when issues arise in other setups, what the source of those issues usually are, and how to fix them.  I see these experiences much like traveling the world, experiencing new situations and connection to the sound.

Sort of a nostalgic journey through the old photos posted here (some of which are now embarrassing to see).  First the Khorn clones in the fall of 2007:

CRW_2142.jpg

KKS small.jpg

Then the Jubs arrive in December 2007:

K-402 Box.png

K-402 open box.png

CRW_2205.gif

CRW_2224.jpg

CRW_2228.jpg

First-Jub-shot.gif

The first Jubilee configuration with odds-and-ends electronics that I had--before getting a bit more serious and focused about what I needed:

Jubes-w-traps.gif

Then starting a 5.1 surround sound array, including tapped horn subwoofers in 2008:

Jubs in den with CWs.jpg

Tapped horn open.jpg

Jub and tapped horn sub small.jpg

Jubs and tapped horn risers small.jpg

Jubs and tapped horn subs small.jpg

Jubs w SPUDs+Traps.jpg

Lots of different center loudspeaker configurations were tried and abandoned along the way:

Oblique Jubs in front of subs.jpg

Lots of development eventually led to much better room acoustics and a workable center channel (a tri-amped JuBelle) about 6 years ago:

med_gallery_26262_6_1571719.jpg

...and then the K-402-MEH showed up in 2016--which finally solved my center channel conundrum:

Chris A's Main Setup.jpg

...and I eventually discovered how to shorten down the Jubs for even better phase/group delay response in 2018:

Shortened Jub front small.jpg

The current configuration (March 2019) with K-402-MEH center, TH subs behind each Jub, and Belle bass bins with ESS AMT-1s on top (two-way surrounds):

Askew's Main Rig 16 Feb. 2019.jpg

All of these changes created brand new listening opportunities each time.  The one constant was the Jubilees in the front corners.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, charbuggie said:

As some know I bought Jubes and bought the Radian PB950 BE drivers.  They have been sitting there for two weeks waiting on a DEQX.  I have my old trusty Pass Labs X250 for the Bass bins and tomorrow the pass labs XA25 will be here.  I'm still going to be waiting several more weeks on the DEQX.  

So I have been looking for other options and there is a good deal on a Marchand  XM126 out there right now and get me a Manley Massive Passive to EQ with.  I wonder how that combo would work out to use for crossover and EQ?  I can get Marchand to get me the four cards to cross at 500 with 24db slopes for $60.  I know the time alignment and phase will be a little off but my gut tells me this setup would have character.  Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Can I ask if you got the Jubs with the 691 drivers?

Just wondering why you decided not to set them up as Klipsch recommends (I.E. EV or Xilica processor and Roy's settings)?

No offense intended here.  Really just wondering.