The Klipsch Audio Community
celestial_sound

Boyuu tube amps

I'm just curious. Is your opinion on adapters based in theory or in practice? Did you have a negative experience using an adapter where you could actually hear a degradation in sound?

It is technically better to get someone experienced, to  re wire the driver tube sockets, soldered connections, rather than adding a second set of plug-in connections.  You will find there are MANY excellent 12AX7 types , and each has a different character.  I suggest you permanently have someone carefully and neatly rewire the tube sockets.  " Double" tube socket connections, whenever using adapters, is a trade-off between convenience and it trades off sonics...it is sonic degrade.

What sort of analogy can I give, that is readily understandable - on a gut level ???    I got it !  Adapters is like a guy using two condoms.

Jeff 

That’s an pretty funny analogy. I understand what you are saying.

I ordered the socket adaptors awhile ago and they won’t be delivered until July!

So I’ll ask you this. Is it going to cost me as much as I paid for this tube amp (under $400) to re-wire driver tube sockets? I have no idea what doing this would cost, and would it be worth such a cost to upgrade an inexpensive (relatively speaking for a new) tube integrated?

I appreciate the advice!

Andy

5 hours ago, Drewg said:

That’s an pretty funny analogy. I understand what you are saying.

I ordered the socket adaptors awhile ago and they won’t be delivered until July!

So I’ll ask you this. Is it going to cost me as much as I paid for this tube amp (under $400) to re-wire driver tube sockets? I have no idea what doing this would cost, and would it be worth such a cost to upgrade an inexpensive (relatively speaking for a new) tube integrated?

I appreciate the advice!

Andy

I can only offer advice based on my personal experience. Over the past 8 months that I have used the A10 with the tube adapters I can report no loss of sound quality or any issues at all. They work just fine. Rewiring in my opinion would be a waste of time and money. Try the adapters and don't worry about them. Just enjoy the amp. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Its in years of practice, just using a single tube socket. I would NEVER EVER consider the use two male-female  connections in series, especially with a PC board trace connecting the runs.  I would rewire the socket, NEATLY, If I needed to.

Jeff Medwin

So may I assume from your answer to my first question that the answer to my second question would be no.

I have used adapters frequently through the years without experiencing any negative issues.  A favorite has been using one to allow a 6BG6 in place of a 6L6.  If all sounds well, don’t give it a thought.

Maynard

• Like 3

What are the compatibility issues if any on using the Sovtek SSR (solid state rectifier) instead of a tube based on in the Reisong A10?

ref: https://www.vivatubes.com/brand-new-sovtek-ssr-solid-state-rectifier-replaces-5ar4-gz34-5y3-5u4/

On the plus side, the SSR might help prevent sag and tighten up the base freqs, is cheaper and may last longer than a tube in that slot.  In the A10 design, the 6.3v filament power lines have their own windings on the transformer so that part is not an issue.  However, the SSR might have a different voltage drop and starts to apply voltage to the other tubes immediately on power on unlike a slower warm up tube based rectifier. 

Has anyone tried a SSR?  What are your thoughts?

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2020 at 9:58 AM, wetowne said:

The difference between the SA34A  and A10 is that the SA34A is wired to use 12AX7 preamp tubes and the A10 is wired for 6N2 tubes. Socket adapters are available for using one type with the other. I own the A10 and use adapters that I got on ebay allowing me to use 12AX7 tubes giving me more opportunities for "tube rolling". There are very few options when using 6N2 tubes. I think the SA34A is a better choice, at the time of my purchase of the A10 I was unaware of the availability of the SA34A.

I've had mine for 6 months now with no issues and have used it with Heresy I and Heresy III speakers. It is very very good sounding to my ears and build quality is quite nice too. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

1.jpg

Is there a socket adapter that does not require rewiring/jumping?

thx

bob

Edited by steelgtr
subbing

On 5/31/2020 at 3:54 AM, wetowne said:

I can only offer advice based on my personal experience. Over the past 8 months that I have used the A10 with the tube adapters I can report no loss of sound quality or any issues at all. They work just fine. Rewiring in my opinion would be a waste of time and money. Try the adapters and don't worry about them. Just enjoy the amp. 

Loss of sound quality sounds like more audio voo doo talk :)

bob

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2020 at 12:58 PM, wetowne said:

1.jpg

I know this is an older thread (but someone else resurrected it)   I am wondering where you found the table you have your 2  Schiit devices sitting on.  very nice how it matches your amp feet (I have an A50).  Looks like a great match.

Edited by TowPro
fixed text

On 5/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, TowPro said:

wondering where you found the table

It's a Topping acrylic rack sitting on top of Bluecell isolation feet. The rack you can get on Apos and the feet on Amazon.

I recently picked up a pair of 1979 klipschorns. I’m currently powering them with a Sansui AU717 but want to switch to a tube amp. Am currently deliberating between a decware zen triode, and the boyuu range a10 or a50 300b. Am open to other suggestions of course, but curious if anyone out there can advise / explain the differences I’m likely to hear with my k-horns using these different options. Thanks!

Thanks for asking that question, Mushroomsound. I'm another newbie with the same curiosity. Is anyone with experience regarding the Decware line vs. the Chinese tubage willing to advise us? My Cornwall IIIs are pretty efficient so I'm wondering if the Klipsch/tube combination might provide the "magic" my Schiit solid state Vidar and Aegir combination seem to lack. Even with the Freya+ pre amp this combination doesn't sound bad - it just seems to lack something. Has anyone with similar experience found an answer switching to or somehow integrating a tube amplifier?