English Klipsch owner.

flappycars

Hello,

Dean thanks for pointing me in this direction! I was thinking some of those guys are using La scalas with big tranny amps. I guess it would take the plaster off the walls.

Any of you guys know of the Tube Technology 64 bit CD player or Unison Research Simply Four single ended amp?

I am one of very, very few Klipsch owners over here. I have never, ever met anybody in 20 years in the UK who owns a pair.

Cheers

So you're the one!!!

Congratulations on being just about the only English Klipsch lover on the planet. FWIW I am also English, but living in Greece. Were I living in the UK still I guess I would never have heard Klipsch at all.

How on earth did you find them?

Hi,

I used to sell Klipsch in a shop in Taunton not far from me. That was 20 years ago! The first Klipsch I heard were Las Scalas played through a Nottingham Analogue Turntable with Alphason arm and Mark Levinson Amps.

My first Klipsch speakers were Mk 1 Heresy, I have also owned Mk 2 Heresy (did not like the Mk2). I also have .5 for rear surround and a Klipsch centre speaker.Those came from a dealer in the UK when you could still get them here! My Chorus were bought second hand for just 350 GPB and were advertized as "Clips studio monitors".

Cheers for now,

John C1.gif

Hello John,

The first time that I've listened to the Klipschorn,they were driven by the simply 4 and the sound was amazing.

I have had a 2 months old Sonus Faber Electa Amator speakers but I have offered the guy to sell them and he agreed since he had replaced them with a megabuck Burmester system.

I liked the Klipsch sound more.

Regards from Israel.

Guy

I guess I will always be the bastard stepchild here. My sissy ears like the sound of the new stuff.

I will probably just have to do what I've always done. Take the plunge and base my opinion on what I hear in my room, with my equipment, and with my music.

Can K-horns handle Metallica O.K.9.gif

K-HORNS--can handle anything,your ears may not though...lol...i listen to everything from metallica,stevie ray vaughan,james taylor,robert cray...its all goooooooood......to bad dealers dont carry heritage...went to dealer tuesday asked and they said...huh...dont even know what they are can you believe someone working in audio not even going to a web site of a speaker they sell....oh well maybe ill win the lottery and open a klipsch only store right next to a bose store would be fun huh...rick SHAKE THOSE BOSE CUBES RIGHT OFF THE WALL....HAHAHA...makes me sick seeing bose stores but when i look they are empty so thats good

Rick,

I guess you love those Bose speakers then! To my mind, they are awful. They lack most of all what the Klipsch have most of all . A revealing midband.

Has anybody tried the Linn recordings? They are superb especially Jazz and celtic music (particularly Anam) VERY live and dynamic transparent sound

I'm half British... does that count? 1.gif My mom is from Buckinghamshire and my Dad married her while stationed in England. I lived there for 4 years in the early 60's. All I can remember is it rained a lot.

I fell in love with Klipsch while stationed in Germany in the late 70's. There has been no looking back since...

Mike

I wonder where Klipsch's overseas business was/is mostly? When I visited the Hope factory many years ago, they were filling a huge crate, maybe a railroad car, full of speakers. They told me once it was filled, they'd ship it, and that they had quite a healthy foreign market.

They would ship a certain weight back into the country (including a car) for free. Anything over that weight you had to pay for. I can't believe I didn't buy the La Scala's while I was over there. I think they were roughly the same price ($1200/pr) as the Infinity Column II's I bought in 1978. The problem was I never heard them until I already bought the Infinity's. As a rule however, audio equipment (as well as camera) was about 30 - 40% cheaper than in the US bases (especially the Japanese equipment)...

Mike

Paul and Mike,

I spent a fair bit of time working in Germany in the mid to late 80's in Germany working with US army forces. Klipsch was on the px's but by far the most popular speaker with most people was the Bose 901.

But, hey, who wants to be "most people?"

Being half English,. does it count...for what?

It counts that you guys will talk to me at all...

Just looked out the window at the weather and its, er... raining.

cheerio for now

flappycars,

Do you know that the Klipschorn bass bin was built under license from Klipsch in a VitaVox model at one time? Most of the cabinets for those particular models were manufactured in Canada, and then shipped to the UK to be filled with drivers.

When I worked at Klipsch(1976-1983), we shipped quite a few speakers overseas in CONEX containers...most were headed for the U.S military exchanges, though. The vast majority of what we shipped back then were Heresys and LaScalas.

HDBRbuilder,

Yes I know they were made by Vitavox. Interesting that you worked for Klipsch. I guess they would be heavy to hump about in the factory, too.

Mike, where were you stationed in Germany? And which years? My favourite German City is Wurzburg but I spent time all over where there were American bases.

I remember first hearing Fortes in a PX in 1987 and was just knocked out by them. I bought some Heresys a couple of years later.I always wanted Fortes but ended up with Chorus 1.

How different do the Chorus 2 sound with the rear mounted ABR? Are they better or not so tight?

Mike, John,

Very interesting you were stationed in Germany. I hope you enjoyed the time in my country. You're welcome again.

John, i think so that Wurzburg is a nice city, but i know it only from sightseeing. Why do you like it so much?

Mike, where do you live in the States? I had 3 years ago a one week trip to Ft. Myers in FL visiting my old boy friend. After that i planned to move over to Florida, but my girl kept me.

To HDBRBuilder: Thanks for your information about the mounting screws for the Klipschorn woofer. I found a store who selled me the needed 8 screws for big bucks - about 16 $!!

Bernd

BerndH,

Sorry it cost so much for those machine screws...If I had known that, I would have mailed you a few of them.

Floppycars and BerndH,

I was stationed in Europe for a few years(1973-1976). Initially I was in Mainz, but my unit moved to Vicenza, Italy in August of 1973. It didn't matter much where we got stationed, since we were seldom there...we spent most of our time in different NATO countries on field maneuvers...often back in Germany or in England. My unit was a part of Allied Command Europe(ACE) Mobile Force(Land). I was in the 509th Airborne Infantry Battalion Combat Team. We often "worked" with the British 1st Para(often with the 15th Scots), and the German Falschirmjaeger, among other NATO units.

I spent most of what little free time I had traveling around Europe. There was one particular little German village just downstream from Bingen/Bingerbruck on the Rhine in Germany that I took a particular liking to. Niederheimbach am Rhine. I met some folks there who "more-or-less adopted" me and I went there quite often...usually spending at least one day each time working in the vinyards in the middle of the village on the little "wine mountain" there. I also spent a decent amount of time in the UK, enjoying my travels there and... especially...fell in love with the Kelso region of Scotland. Being descended from Scots, I guess that would be quite natural!! LOL!

Oh my god, HDBRBuilder! If i would be 25 years older, we could have met in Bingen. I work for a company named Treffert which resides for more than 75 years in Bingen/Sponsheim. Maybe you have seen a long white building beside the road from Bingerbruck to Bad Kreuznach, that is my company. The reason why i live in Nuremberg/Erlangen is that i do technical services for our customers in Bavaria from my home office. But i'm often in Bingen. Can't believe how small the world is. That will make me smile everytime here reading your posts.

And for the price of the machine screws, don't worry - it's a lifetime invest for my Klipschorns, they are non-corrosive steel. LOL. Usally i would have got for this price several hundred metric screws, but american standard size is not regular here; i'm glad that i got the screws anyway.