Heritage Home Theater Impressions, Star Wars Episode 1

jtkinney

I was watching Episode 1 this weekend for the first time (yeah I know, it's about time, but I'm kinda slow sometimes). My Heritage HT doesn't have a subwoofer at the moment, so all of my speakers are set to large. I was amazed at all of the low frequency content from every direction in this movie. The spaceships zooming by, the pod race scene and even the light saber battle. I still don't know how things in the vacuum of space make noise, but that's another topic.

I commented to my wife, "could you imagine watching this on one of those little cube and subwoofer systems" (a brand was mentioned). There would be no surround sensation at all, all of the LF would be coming from the sub in the corner. I know others have thought of this, but it all came together this weekend.

I am continually amazed at the Klipschorns and their bass output. I know they are not even operating at their peak, because the corner only goes halfway up the back. When I get the room finished and they have real corners they should be even better. Even the Heresy's I use for fronts hang in there pretty low, but they are sitting on the floor, which helps.

Just thought I would comment for those wondering how the "Old" speakers sound in this "New" environment.

K-horns - Mains, LaScalas - Rear, Heresy's - Front Center, all from the '70's

Jim

I alwasy say that an all Heritage HT is hard to beat.

I have my Khorns set to large, center and sides set to small, sending bass under 80hz to the SVS's I too hear the bass shifting from side to side, I think it is because there still is a lot of sound over 80hz mixed into soundtrack.

In the next year, I plan to add Heresy's to my rear making a 7.1 setup.

JM

I love my mostly Heritage HT set-up, I just watched Episode II and was blown away! I can't go to theater's anymore since I am usually disappointed. The Acoustron LWE-I's are like a baby Cornwall they have the same woofer and tweeter but use 6" cone midrange instead of a horn they sit on top of the Belle's and the frontal assault from the 4 mains, KV-4 center and twin 15" subs is astounding, not to mention the gobs of power from the outboard amplifiers. I rarely can get the volume higher than -40 on my Denon without something rattling off a shelf or falling off a wall. 9.gif

Is there a big difference with Big speakers (ie la Scalas) on the sides vs Heresys on a DVD like this one?

I watched it with Cornwalls front, C7 center and Boston Acoutic A60's on the sides with 80Hz x-over to my sub. Pretty impressive but the other speakers--especially the C7 center which gets a lot of the sound don't seem to equal the Corns. The BA's seem to be ok but I just bought a pair of Heresys to replace them.

I'm also thinking of putting the Heresys in center (front and rear) and use the BA's for sides. Most of the sound seems to be center and front. The C7 is great for dialog but less impressive on music. I'm still experimenting.

I was wondering if there would be a huge difference with la Scalas up front and the Corns on the side (vs Corns front and Heresys side) using SVS Ultra for sub.

Is there a big difference between big and small speakers on the side?

Yes there is, when you are listening in a 5 or more channel discrete format. When you are listening in Prologic, not such a big difference since you don't hear anything below 2000hz anyway, but still noticeable. Using larger speakers really makes a noticeable difference over small on any of your surround/center channels. Want proof. Listen to your cornwalls in 2 channel. Now switch them out with you bostons and sub. That's the differnce, you will lack a lot of fullnes that you get from the larger speaker due to the the larger bass driver that the sub cannot make up for.

EJ

"Is there a big difference between big and small speakers on the side?"

In my 5.1 system, an emphatic YES!!!!!

The rear channel speaker selection is every bit as important as the mains, in my experience - especially with music video and the discrete, full range nature of today's movie soundtracks. There is LOTS of bass information back there, and full sized, timbre matched rears allow the listener to get all of the sound that the mixer intended.

I also find that having a lesser center vs. mains (in my case, Academy between Cornwall II's) is very evident with certain soundtracks - The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" exposes the Academy as a lesser speaker against the Corns. For dialogue the Academy is excellent - it matches timbre very well - but when the center sound is intense, the Academy simply cannot hang with the Corns.

I am a proponent of having 5,6,or 7 identical, or as close to identical speakers if possible (ala HornEd's system) - and especially with Heritage. Bigger really is better in this case. I realize that the dispersion approaches and opinions regarding rear speakers differ - but I firmly believe that selecting smaller rears on the basis "that it is not sonically beneficial" doesn't apply any longer. I completely avoided the concept of home theater until 5.1 discrete sound really took hold in the marketplace (and the discovery of this forum) - justifying the trouble to assemble a multichannel system that could deliver the sonic goods with minimal compromise. Today's soundtracks demand the best speakers that you can give them. You won't regret going the extra mile with your speaker choices.

I'm sold on getting rid of my Bostons which is why I just bought a pair of Heresys. I'm not sure how motivated I am to

upgrade from Heresy to Cornwall for sides due to price and size, but it's interesting to hear that there is an valuable improvement. I think I'll start with three Heresys for surround (rear and sides) and then in the future consider buying LaScala for mains and moving the Corns to the sides replacing the Heresys.

I looking forward to trying my new Heresys as center front & rear. My current KLF-C7 is just as the Academy was described--great on dialog but weaker on music. When I listen to concerts or DVD audio I wish for three identical speakers in the front--maybe a Heresy on top of my Mitsu will be close enough. I'll compare the C7 vs Heresy.

I'll be watching Star Wars sequences again tonight with Heresys in place of the Bostons...I look forward to the improvement. I'm picking up my Heresys today!

I have yet to find a theater that has near the sound of my theater room. Try watching a dvd on a 55" screen in a 20x18 room with a pair of k-horns, lascalas, two subs and a center cf-7 (heritage center would be better). almost all senses come in to play - sight - sound - feel-sorry no smell . SO i'm olny missing one. lol

Sound pressure is incredible and lows vibrate right through your body. I remember watching a dvd with my kids and they both ducked when a jet fighter flew over on the screen.

To put it into context : klipsch heritage "ROCK"

I'm first to admitt that there are better speakers out there but for the "price" of klipsch gear and there quality there hard to beat. I cant afford wilson audio or top of the line b&w speakers. I'm more than happy with my klipsch and i'll never part with them. This of cource does not mean i wont buy more. ( ei: home jubilee ? )

KJ

I think you will be happy with the Heresy in between your Corns. The K700 is close to the performance of the K600 in your CornWs. I found when you get into the bigger squawker horns, the 400 and 500's is where you see the 700s having problems voicing properly.

Let us know what you think.

Dale you are absolutely right about Heritage HT's. I use to love going out to movies before I had one, now it is a let down.

JM

I tried a Heresy on top of my 55" Mitsu and posted a comparison vs my KLF C7 in a new threat. Bottom line is that it blended much better--hard to tell if sound if from center or mains when playing music DVD's. For dialog, however, I liked the C7 better. I felt the Heresy was more directional producing voices above the tv in the center. Since I have a C7 (getting a new woofer), I've put the Heresys to work as surrounds which produces more sound and a better blend than my Boston A60's.

Now I'm wondering if I should go with one or two speakers in the rear...I have a door in the middle so two would fit better. I'll probably try the Boston's first.

I'm not sure what to do with the center. For dialog oriented movies I like the C7. For music videos I turn it off and listen to 4 speakers. For movies with a lot of center sound I'm torn. I may be over focusing on the Heritage sound dispersion but I keep noticing it. I have it tilted towards the listener inverted.