Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kraken

What vintage receiver should I buy to drive my Forte speakers

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I bought a pair of Forte speakers in '88 mated to a Yamaha R9 receiver.

 

In 2004, the Yamaha died so I replaced it with a Harman Kardon AVR 7200 and added a set of home theater speakers and subwoofer.  I put the Fortes in storage for use at a later date.

 

Well it is officially later and I want to use my Forte speakers with a vintage receiver in a 2 channel set up so I can listen to music.

 

I found this forum while researching a potential purchase of a Denon DRA-825ra or a Luxman R-115.

The 825ra is advertised as in un-used, pristine shape and it looks like it. It does not have any signs of wear and is very clean complete with AM loop and FM antennae, RC-125 remote, original box and packaging including dust sleeve. It does not have its manuals. The Denon DRA-825ra purchase includes a Denon DCM-555II cd changer in equal condition.

The Luxman R-115 is used, no remote, no manual, no antennae, nor box. It is fully functional and has been recently serviced.

In vintage stereo circles, the R-115 is highly regarded  while the Denon has its fans, but is much less celebrated.

They are the same price.

 

I can pick the Luxman up locally but the Denon will need to be shipped across the county adding that cost to the total purchase price.

So which is the better receiver to use with my Fortes and which is the better buy?

 

Thanks
 

Edited by Kraken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kraken,

 

Welcome to the forum.

 

9 hours ago, Kraken said:

Well it is officially later and I want to use my Forte speakers with a vintage receiver in a 2 channel set up so I can listen to music.

 

I found this forum while researching a potential purchase of a Denon DRA-825ra or a Luxman R-115.

I have owned a Luxman R-115 as well as the legendary R-117 as well as 3 or 4 Denon PMA integrated amps from the 80's/90's.  All have been rock solid reliable and mated very well with my Quartets, Fortes, Heresys, and RB-5s.

 

9 hours ago, Kraken said:

The Luxman R-115 is used, no remote, no manual, no antennae, nor box. It is fully functional and has been recently serviced.

In vintage stereo circles, the R-115 is highly regarded 

I would not describe it as "legendary" as it's more powerful big brother R-117 but it's "70w/ch"@8ohms" feels much more powerful than specs.  Very thumpy bass, sweet velvety midrange, detailed highs, and dynamic headroom galore.  The built in tuner rivals some of the best separate tuners of that era.

 

9 hours ago, Kraken said:

The 825ra is advertised as in un-used, pristine shape and it looks like it. It does not have any signs of wear and is very clean complete with AM loop and FM antennae, RC-125 remote, original box and packaging including dust sleeve. It does not have its manuals. The Denon DRA-825ra purchase includes a Denon DCM-555II cd changer in equal condition.

I loved every Denon piece of that era I ever owned.  Their integrated amps(PMA) are solid designs with nice circuitry and build quality and offer fast punchy rhythmic neutral/warmish sound signature with plenty of dynamic headroom also.  I have heard that their DRAs described the same way.  The DRA--825ra is from the same vintage as my PMAs and very similar topology and design except with a builtin tuner and video inputs.   Nice bonus with the CD changer.

 

9 hours ago, Kraken said:

 The Denon has its fans, but is much less celebrated.

I don't know why that is but my experiences are nothing short of spectacular.

 

Where are the locations of these two pieces in question?

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of those 2, Luxman.

 

But, consider old Yamaha CR-x00, -x10 and -x20, Marantz from the 70s, 22xx, and Technics SA- with discrete output stages (500/50 watt and higher).  Kenwood and Sansui made pretty nice gear, too, but I had Tuner/Integrateds by then, a KA-7100 and a KT-5500(?). 

 

I don't understand the nostalgia for Pioneer.  It was junk in the '70s, carried by low end shops.  Still looks like the Blose of electronics. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...