2 passive subs 1 avr sub out

Lbk

1 hour ago, Lbk said:

Can I run an rca splitter from a single avr sub out to a 2 channel amp, then each channel to a separate passive sub? Thanks.

you're better off getting an  Avr/ amp  that can operate 2 subs at once ----

I have an old hafler amp (240watts per channel) that is running my avr sub out to a revel b15, works good. The amp on the revel started to sound like it had a bad connection so I took it out. I visually checked it but did not see/smell any problems, plan on reflowing the boards and then go from there. 

The other sub is diy sealed 18 inch seismic audioI I build on the cheap. It's behind the sofa and adds a little bump to rump. I would like to run both off the hafler but don't want to burn anything up. I could do without the diy sub if I had to. 

My fear is running the hafler off 1 sub out to both channels could  create some kind loop-power issue and blow something up.

New avr would be nice but not going to happen right now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

or you can look for an amp that can be bridged with the 2 subwoofers ----

The hafler can be bridged and I thought about doing that. Running both on series or parallel depend in ohms load.

I did some research and a spitter for 2 active sub is recommend. So I ***-ume running a 2 channel amp would provide 2 separate amp supplies?

Also found out lower level  AVR's (1000  bucks and under) with 2 subs out are wired together so just like using a splitter. Only higher end AVR's have independent sub control. So splitter should be no problem.

I have a low power kenwood amp I could spit off to DIY sub but not sure it has enough power. I will play with it today and let you guys know if I let the magic smoke out. Still open to any - all ideas.

Wuzzer hope your not insulted, I trust you word just being cautious.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lbk said:

The hafler can be bridged and I thought about doing that. Running both on series or parallel depend in ohms load.

I did some research and a spitter for 2 active sub is recommend. So I ***-ume running a 2 channel amp would provide 2 separate amp supplies?

Also found out lower level  AVR's (1000  bucks and under) with 2 subs out are wired together so just like using a splitter. Only higher end AVR's have independent sub control. So splitter should be no problem.

I have a low power kenwood amp I could spit off to DIY sub but not sure it has enough power. I will play with it today and let you guys know if I let the magic smoke out. Still open to any - all ideas.

Wuzzer hope your not insulted, I trust you word just being cautious.

do what you gotta do -------just as long as it sounds right -

I run a single sub output from my av processor to a Crown K2.  The K2 has a "y" switch on the back panel (see picture... it's located in between the XLR inputs) that basically passes your single input signal to both inputs without using a cheap audio Y splitter.  K1 or K2 amps are awesome for sub duty because they don't have a fan and have a ton of headroom to drive even very inefficient loads and a damping factor of greater than 3000!  K1= 350 watts per channel at 8 ohms 550 watts at 4 ohms and 750 watts at 2 ohms.  The K2 is 500 / 800/ 1250 respectively.  If anyone needs more power than that they need to go to get their ears checked! ...or use a q-tip!  You can usually pick these amps up used in the $200-$400 price range. (about the price of a mediocre subwoofer plate amplifier) Worth every penny.  I've been using my K2 ( and a K1 for another system) since after I graduated college in 1997.  Needless to say, these amps hold up very well.

I hope this gives you another option to consider

k2k2.jpg

K2 back.jpg

• Like 1

simple answer is yes, you can use an RCA Y splitter to run to 2 channels of an amp.  used to do it all the time in car audio when there was only 1 set of L/R pre amp outputs on a head unit but ran multiple amps.  

I run a splitter off the sub out to the hafler then one  channel to each sub. Had to play with the amp to get the balance right between the 2 subs. Too much power to the DIY behind the sofa and you could hear it's location.

I was a little surprised that with some tuning how well I got the DIY to match the b15. Been trying to get my soundfield wide and deep, 2nd sub did help some. 

3 minutes ago, Lbk said:

I was a little surprised that with some tuning how well I got the DIY to match the b15. Been trying to get my soundfield wide and deep, 2nd sub did help some

a sub is basically just another speaker ---either it gets too much power  or not enough , hit the sweet spot and you're ok ----

A little fun reading for everyone.  I like the idea, but even placing 1 or 2 subs in most rooms can sometimes be tricky (and that's even before the wife factor)  ...now,  trying to properly locate 4 subs in an average room...good luck.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

11 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

A little fun reading for everyone.  I like the idea, but even placing 1 or 2 subs in most rooms can sometimes be tricky (and that's even before the wife factor)  ...now,  trying to properly locate 4 subs in an average room...good luck.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/

From what I've read my room 11by 17 by 8 are good dimension for a system. Took me longer to set up my chorus II's then the 2 subs.

I build an f20 I need to get set up later this month, get to start all over. Probably lose the DIY and run the f20 upfront as a TV stand and the b15 will go somewhere. Maybe try it behind the sofa.