Slide Guitar favorites

Audio Flynn

I really like the sound of various types electric and accoustic guitars through the Chorus IIs.

In the car on the way home from work today I heard "Bad to the Bone" by George Thoroghgood. George is a powerful player like Ted Nugent on the Byrdland; but the songs are not awe inspiring classics. It got me to thinking that I have very little slide guitar music in the collection.

These are the only artists I have who are pretty good in my opinion.

Bonnie Raitt

Joe Perry

I never got any Duane Allman; Statesborough BLues comes to mind. A friend of mine is a Johnny Winter freak.

Please contribute any slide guitar artists and tunes that really impress you.

I suppose steel guitar(Carl Perkins and David Lindley) could qualify as well.

Let the stream of conciousness begin...

Back in the days of vinyl, there was a double...or maybe a triple...album that was "the Duane Allman Anthology"...it included not only his work with the Allman Brothers Band, but also a vast amount of his "session work" for other artists...and, by gawd, if you love slide guitar, it is one helluva collection!!!! He did quite a bit of session work with motown artists, too...a number of the tunes on that album were her royal highness of motown, ARETHA's recordings!! I have not yet seen this as a re-release on CD, and, trust me, I HAVE been looking for it!!

BTW...ole motor city archer Ted played a BIRDSONG, didn't he?? 2.gif

I could hardly play worth a poop but there was a very fine guitar store near the Michigan State University campus called "Elderly Instruments".

You could come in and play many clasic guitars back in the day(1980). Martin accoustics from the 30s ansd 40s were off limits.

Teds guitar is the Byrdland. Here is the link.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/Historic/ArchtopSeries/byrdland.htm

Never visited the site before it is quite well done with pretty pictures and specs of old models.

Builder,

Thanks for the heads up. If I find a copy of that Duane Anthology I will get 2 and let you know. Topic was worthwhile for me just to get that idea.

Another person recommended a jazz flute player named Herbie Mann who I have some music of; he has an album Duane Allman sits in on called "Push Push" from about 1969. I have not been able to find that either.

Dean,

I am in town for a little while and will post a contrast of the RB5(plus sub) vs the Chorus II.

Lynnm...yep, that's them!! Thanks!

Well...I haven't been a real guitar model freak...so maybe I was wrong...my interest was more in bass models years ago(as in a high school "street dance" band, ala Grassroots, Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love", Hendrix's "Fire" and "Hey Joe", etc...Our lead guitarist played a Chet Atkins model...and he was damned good on it too!!...LOL!...but either way, ole Ted the archer does tend to hang in this area during bow deer season...he has a place up in the Branson, MO area, but he comes down to this area to hunt some.

Duane Allman had quite a bit of session work, even after the Allman Brothers Band hit the charts...his tragic untimely death in his prime was a very sad thing!! His Dobro and slide guitar work was simply outstanding!! Johnny Winter was a pro on the Dobro too!! Never overlook the album: "The best of Delaney and Bonnie"...they had a rotating list of personalities in their "Delaney and Bonnie and Friends" gigs...from all walks of music....Duane Allman, Rita Coolidge, etc.....

Have heard all but the last artist listed.

Elmore James - Everyday I have the Blues, Dust My Broom, Sunnyland Train, The Sky Is Crying and Anna Lee.

Roy Rogers - (not the singing cowboy) - Several songs on John Lee Hooker LP's - The Healer, Mr. Lucky, Boom Boom and Chill Out; Bonnie Raitt also plays the slide on Hooker's "The Healer" LP.

Muddy Waters - Long Distance Call, I Feel Like Going Home, I Can't Be Satisfied.

Blind Willie Johnson - Early gospel slide guitarist. Perhaps you can check out sample cuts on amazon.com

Wes

Lots of folks mentioning Duane Allman on this thread...and rightly so!

Recently there has been a rock & roll documentary being edited here at my office. The subject of the doc is legendary music producer Tom Dowd. In one very interesting scene in this film, Tom is sitting in the recording studio with Derrick & The Dominos' "Layla" session master. As Tom raises and lowers the various individual tracks and points out which guitar line is Eric Clapton and which is Duane Allman I couldn't help but think..."Man this Clapton guy is good...but Duane is just running circles around him!".

Ever since seeing/hearing that scene I've been plannining on trying to listen to some older Allman Bros. stuff so that I can listen to more of Duane's guitar work.

Dave

Perhaps a Gibson Songbird or Birdland.

Two rather different guitars if I remember corectly.

Songbird: A dreadnought style Acoustic guitar, much the same shape as a Martin D-28, these had a large pickguard with a bright engraved painted picture of a "songbird". The body of this guitar propably had rosewood(brazilian?) or mahogany(honduran?) back and sides with a spruce top.

Birdland: A semi-hollow body electric guitar with single cutaway on the lower(treble) side of the fretboard, often used by jazz guitarists and considered a true classic. I think these were made with carved maple back and sides and a spruce(or maple?) top.

This is off of the top of my head so I may be wrong about the descriptions of these guitars.

FWIW I think John Cephas is an incredible guitar player, some really nice acoustic blues on an album with the harp(harmonica) player Phil Wiggins.

He also happens to play Taylor guitars which are some of my personal favorites.

Peace, Josh