La Scala, Cornwall, or Klipschorn for this room?

discodoc

9 hours ago, Arne Stokkeland said:

La Scalas will benefit from corner placement and you will have room for a THTLP (tuba low profi)l on either side of the window.

Use a bench under the window for your equpment and it will be awsome!

La Scalas in the corners was my original thinking, but I know the the Tuba really benefits from corner placement so I'm worried I won't have a good place for it.

11 hours ago, BadChile said:

I suspect putting any tube amp on a sub is going to quickly tell you which tubes are microphonic.

What height is the ceiling?  I seem to recall the Heritage manual recommends a minimum ceiling of 8'-0"....

At the peak, the ceiling here is 10.5' high. From the window to the back of the space is 22'. This is actually an open bonus space over a three car garage so it's pretty large.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

That's what I said above with fewer words.

I love LaScalas, but I think the newer Corns would be a better fit.

Yeah, I would go with the IVs if I decided on Corns.

This is a great community, thanks so much for all the responses.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Flip a coin.  Love my LS and wouldn't have anything else but everyone is different.  Find a decent Heritage line dealer w/both in stock and give them a listen. Where are you located?  

I'm about an hour north of Seattle. Dealer recommendations would be welcome.

I'm leaning toward the Cornwall IV at this point just to keep the room less cluttered. I know they are nearly as efficient as the La Scalas, but should I be concerned about the MC225 only being 25wpc? I've seen some posts saying that once you start asking your amp to do heavier bass duty that things get muddy and more power would be better.

1 minute ago, discodoc said:

I'm leaning toward the Cornwall IV at this point just to keep the room less cluttered. I know they are nearly as efficient as the La Scalas, but should I be concerned about the MC225 only being 25wpc? I've seen some posts saying that once you start asking your amp to do heavier bass duty that things get muddy and more power would be better.

I ran khorns on 25 watts/channel and ran Forte IIIs on 18 watts/channel. Both scenarios were capable of filling a 375 sq. ft. room with ease.

• Like 1

I've used anywhere from 3.5 to 300 wpc on my LS, and now I have MWM cabinets hooked up instead of the LS bass. That's 2 15s on each side. The 3.5 watts works most of the time, but the bass gets a little mushy if you turn them up. My 25 wpc Crown sounds superb, and can get a lot louder than I should be playing music.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^ what they said.  That Mc gear will play just fine imo.  Ha!  You're talking Klipsch but it's always better to hear what your planning on buying. You're in Seattle and I'm in Ohio but if ya want to make a road trip you're more than welcome.  lol  Perhaps someone closer to you has something you could listen too.  Anyone nearby want to step up?  I'm clueless but you never know.  Maybe start a thread and see who's close to you.  I know one guy here bought a bunch of Klipsch gear @ auction up that way.  Not sure if there were LS in that stuff or not.  Maybe:  "Audition LS or CW near Seattle?"  It's a start.  Good luck and enjoy you're ride.  Whatever you do you'll be one happy boy w/Klipsch.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave1290 said:

^^^^^^^ what they said.  That Mc gear will play just fine imo.  Ha!  You're talking Klipsch but it's always better to hear what your planning on buying. You're in Seattle and I'm in Ohio but if ya want to make a road trip you're more than welcome.  lol  Perhaps someone closer to you has something you could listen too.  Anyone nearby want to step up?  I'm clueless but you never know.  Maybe start a thread and see who's close to you.  I know one guy here bought a bunch of Klipsch gear @ auction up that way.  Not sure if there were LS in that stuff or not.  Maybe:  "Audition LS or CW near Seattle?"  It's a start.  Good luck and enjoy you're ride.  Whatever you do you'll be one happy boy w/Klipsch.

Thanks. There's a dealer close to me that has Cornwall IVs but the closest dealer with LaScalas is a 3 hour drive. That's not out of the question, but if anyone is closer by that would certainly be great :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, discodoc said:

Thanks. There's a dealer close to me that has Cornwall IVs but the closest dealer with LaScalas is a 3 hour drive. That's not out of the question, but if anyone is closer by that would certainly be great :)

The dealer have LS also?  It's just a road trip.  How badly do you want them?  I see you crawling behind the wheel already just don't forget your gold card!  Oh yea, take a buddy's pickup so you can just bring them home with you.  Save a trip!  BTW I already know you'll be buying the LS but maybe not...  hahahaha   :)  

Welcome to the Forum!

One suggestion, is to take some paper or cardboard and make a cutout of the footprint of each. You can see the real estate each would take up. The LS are approx. 2 x 2 ft.

In my last house, the LS were in a room that was 13 x 21 ft. I had them on the short wall at the end of the room and sat back about 12 ft.

• Like 1

Looking at the slope of the ceiling and guesstimating the distance necessary from the sides, because of the 38" height of the Cornwall IVs, they will be closer together than recommended by Klipsch.  As they are in my house.  Toeing in more severely than you might think proper will widen your sound stage as well as the sitting area for listening.  I would concern yourself also over the temperature of the room and your Mac tube amp, my having grown up with my bedroom at the top of structures with those sloped ceilings.

I've had my Cornwall IVs for six weeks now, powered by a MC275 and Mac C712.  Chose them because after lusting over the LaScala for years I realized that my budget was getting stretched.  Klipschorn would be the ultimate but truly need a room designed for them for full impact.  Every time my wife shows me a house for sale on the internet all I ever look for is a room suitable for a pair of Klipschorns.  So far, I have yet to see anything ideal.

You will love the sound and be surprised how minimally your rheostat will have to be moved before your hearing is detrimentally affected.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

That's what I said above with fewer words.

I love LaScalas, but I think the newer Corns would be a better fit.

It's amazing  how many are leaning towards  the CW4 -  AND  pretty much even with the LS ---

• Like 1

Any claim I might have to be sane is due to music and reading.  Since I was too lazy to practice my musical talent is limited to changing the artist and adjusting the volume. 

I have a serious illness.  I have five systems between the house and garage and could assemble seven.  Looking at the gear on Audiogon shows me I only need to win two or three lotteries to fulfill my illness' dreams.

• Like 1

Dont be misled, the LS has great bass, just not low bass. It is fun, quick, hard hitting bass. I would definitely (and have) give up those few bottom hz to have that horn loaded bass. I'd rather have LS with no sub than any Cornwall over a year old. The IV is a completely different animal than it's predecessors but I have yet to hear it, so cannot comment.

It really is a preference thing and I don't believe there is a wrong answer. You will win either way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

did you give up on the LaScala II  , did you audition them yet

I have not given up, but they are not local to me. I just know me, and I'm kinda a bass guy. I've been lusting after La Scalas for a couple years now, but, even with all of the magic I'm certain they will provide, if they lack low end I know I'm going to be wanting more.

That being said, this location really would not lend itself to a folded horn sub, and I don't want to run a conventional one. Price is not a factor, I'm just trying to choose what's best for my room and listening preferences.

46 minutes ago, Joel said:

Looking at the slope of the ceiling and guesstimating the distance necessary from the sides, because of the 38" height of the Cornwall IVs, they will be closer together than recommended by Klipsch.  As they are in my house.  Toeing in more severely than you might think proper will widen your sound stage as well as the sitting area for listening.  I would concern yourself also over the temperature of the room and your Mac tube amp, my having grown up with my bedroom at the top of structures with those sloped ceilings.

I've had my Cornwall IVs for six weeks now, powered by a MC275 and Mac C712.  Chose them because after lusting over the LaScala for years I realized that my budget was getting stretched.  Klipschorn would be the ultimate but truly need a room designed for them for full impact.  Every time my wife shows me a house for sale on the internet all I ever look for is a room suitable for a pair of Klipschorns.  So far, I have yet to see anything ideal.

You will love the sound and be surprised how minimally your rheostat will have to be moved before your hearing is detrimentally affected.

Enjoy!

The slope does not start until 49", so I could easily nestle the Cornwalls (or La Scalas; anything other than the Klipschorns) into the corners and have ~8 ft or so between them.

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

Dont be misled, the LS has great bass, just not low bass. It is fun, quick, hard hitting bass. I would definitely (and have) give up those few bottom hz to have that horn loaded bass. I'd rather have LS with no sub than any Cornwall over a year old. The IV is a completely different animal than it's predecessors but I have yet to hear it, so cannot comment.

It really is a preference thing and I don't believe there is a wrong answer. You will win either way.

Thanks for this. I'm just going to need to hear them, no amount of my typing away on this forum will compensate for that :)

• Like 4

• Moderators

He's right the LaScala does have great bass, when I said a sub it was just to fill in the bottom below the main speakers. LaScala's bass is horn loaded so to me it just sounds better, more natural. It also has the same two top drivers as the Khorn. 

The Khorn and LaScala are the only two Heritage with horn loaded bass.

7 minutes ago, discodoc said:

I just know me, and I'm kinda a bass guy. I've been lusting after La Scalas for a couple years now, but, even with all of the magic I'm certain they will provide, if they lack low end I know I'm going to be wanting more.

It was why I said horn loaded sub, to best match the LaScala's sound. 

The new Cornwall is special and better than any previous models easily, along with the new Forte;s. IMO

Somehow you need to hear them for yourself, it's the only way to really know, sorry but you know it true, this is a big deal to try and get right the first time.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dtel said:

He's right the LaScala does have great bass, when I said a sub it was just to fill in the bottom below the main speakers. LaScala's bass is horn loaded so to me it just sounds better, more natural.

Yes, my preference as well. The LS is not quite the width of the Cornwall IV. That's also one reason I love the LS, is the cabinet design/looks. The Cornwall is just a big box. I also love the LS bass, tight and clean, just not as low as the Cornwall.

Tough choice... you will just have to listen to each.

• Like 1