Khorn Crossover advice

Pland

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy,

Are you suggesting running the woofer directly and letting it roll off naturally. What's your experience with this - On the downside, is there a bump in the low-mid or does it sound muddled? Would the upside include deeper bass response or what? What are the trade-offs?

Unfortunately, I can't find all the parts in one place. Any DIYers out there with suggestions on where I can source these parts? Thanks.

Forgot to ask...

I just found "new" 12 & 14mH PIO Jensen caps at Welbourne Labs. Would either of these work better than the 8.2 & 4.2mH caps? What's the significance of the voltage rating? I see that the above Jensens are rated at 300VDC but I also see other xover caps with ratings up to 1000VDC (AudioNote, Angela). Should I concern myself with this or does the xover being passive make this measurement unnecessary. Thanks again for all your help.

thanks randy....well here are my options:

1 hovland musicap 3uf + 1 hovland musicap 10uf

= 13uf for $65 or,

1 jensen oil 3.3uf + 1 jensen oil 10uf

= 13.3uf for $90 OR,

1 jensen oil 3.3uf + 1 hovland musicap 10uf

= 13.3uf for $71

for the inductor:

a solen 12awg 2.4mh (.1 low) .36dcr for $37 or,

a alphacore 2.6mh (.1 high) .38dcr for $43

comments? thanks, tony

Hi,

It is my type A project in progress.

I use solid ebony board, high quality oil caps NOS, no coils.

I read that Mr PWK did not have the bass coil in his system too, why not have a few db more bass.

I like this idea.

More caps in parallel is better according to audio-consulting swiss.

It is only the begining, I would move on to experiment how far I can go to perfect this project.

Tubelion

post-10221-13819245689326_thumb.jpg

Photo main circuit

currently using radiotechnique from France 1960, one of the best ecc83, beat mullard telefunken in my system, beffer using GB5751 sometimes with GE 5 star black plate.

Rectifier supplement- can use 274b good sound

telefunken 4V 1064 mesh interesting sound

Cv378 GEC black base great stage

bendix 5852 6106, fine red wine

Gz 34 mtal base lovely

and many more for a lot of fun on different music

tubelion from Hong Kong

Tubelion

post-10221-13819245692032_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Sad to say that it appears that I am 1.8k lighter,and no Khorns.The Ebay auction was a total swindle,with false customer I.D.The seller has evaporated after being funded by Western union,won't reply to emails,etc.

Does anyone know how to trace an Email?I've notified Western Union and am waiting for a copy of the I.D. this bastard showed when he collected the funds.I am filing a police report tomorrow,as well as notifying the postmaster general.I made the classic mistake of going into heat when I saw these on Ebay,and commited every mistake a pigeon can make.No lectures please.

Pat

Pat, I cant tell you how sorry I am about this horror! That really is beyond anything I have heard recently. Ironically enough, your gut instinct was working big time on this one; I just was hoping it would turn out for the better. There are definite ways to trace the email by and large, which is one good prospect.

Man, that is simply awful. I was all set to congratulate Tubelion on an EXCELLENt looking setup when I saw this post.

Good luck and drop me a line if you want.

Kelly

Hi kelly,

How to post the photos without the need of download when someone want to see them.

I am excited that you like the set up.

Someone ask me about the Belle, it is a long story of fighting, if limit the discussion to crossover, I change most parts with MIT caps ten years ago because the parts was really bad, the sound was improved but the AB2 network is no good when I compare mine to friend's TAD , Lowther TP1, there was some harshness that I all along believe it is the crossver problem.

After many search in this forum, I see two questions there, the network and the quality of parts, I believe PWK is a genius, the original design was really good, only because fo the solid state amp and blown tweeter make the worse networks to replace the type A.

I believe good parts make better sound, and my feeling type A was, is, and will remain the best ( until proven otherwise).

That why I am building the type A with best parts.

If anyone want to build a type A , it is so easy, anyone can build it though I am lucky to have a whole team of professional technicians to help me after their normal duties. We all enjoy that.

Anyone interested in photos of tubes, let me know

My sympathy to you Pat that I hope you may get your money back, I understand the frustration because I am also chasing my 85 dollars back by bidpay too. I guess it is quite risky to use it after my recent event

Tubelion

PWK said that removing the 2.5mH coil tamed a valley in the 80-100hz range, and added about 3dB to the low end.

My experience is that using no coil is 'airier' than with any coil I've tried, iron core or air. I have by no means performed an exhaustive study on this.

As to parts to use, or types of caps, I would go with PIO, although the Hovlands would be a good second. Saving ten or twenty bucks on parts doesn't seem like much over the several years you'll have them.

Sze, nice stuff; looks like it's been tuned to a high degree. The sound must be quite good.

I heard Belles for the first time the other day. The setup was far from optimal, so this is not a definitive statement, but I would say the midrange left something to be desired as compared to the khorn. The horn for the midrange was much smaller, and the AB network looked positively frightening.

It will be a good idea to replace the AB with a type A, although I would also recommend horn damping with putty or other materials.

oh, to post images 'in-line' you need to have the pictures uploaded to a web server somewhere. Usually your ISP allows what they call 'home pages', this is exactly what you need.

Once uploaded to the web server (see your ISP for details) you would have a file name path in the format http://www.yourisp.com/~yourname/image.jpg

with the various changes in words as to be expected.

Then to reference them in your post, 'simply' add the following:

&ltimg src="http://www.yourisp.com/~yourname/image.jpg"&gt

there are a bunch of additional things you can add between the 'img' and the 'src' words; the most common adjust the size of the image;

width=300

height=200

would be two common modifiers. So the final line looks like

&ltimg width=300 height=200 src="http://www.yourisp.com/~yourname/image.jpg"&gt

See? Oh so simple.

I think the argument for the Type A crossover is a compelling one not to mention the cheap aspect with less parts to boot. And since you are another in the 300B SET camp, I believe the "Type A" to fit you perfectly.

Ummmmmmmm....schematic etc, Check the first page of this very thread with a picture and link to the schematic as well as parts options.

kh