Music to bomb Bagdad by

Colin

I am reluctant to turn serious after beseeching thee to list comedic song lyrics and titles for our upcoming battle, but there are several excellent articles on the second Gulf War in the November issue of Atlantic Monthly. (Guess what I did over the Xmas holiday?) Three of these are available online.

The Atlantic Monthly / November 2002

The Fifty-first State?

Going to war with Iraq would mean shouldering all the responsibilities of an occupying power the moment victory was achieved. These would include running the economy, keeping domestic peace, and protecting Iraq's bordersand doing it all for years, or perhaps decades. Are we ready for this long-term relationship?

by James Fallows

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/11/fallows.htm

The Atlantic Monthly / November 2002 Centerpiece

The Kabul-ki Dance

Inside the cockpit with the pilots and wizzos of the 391st Fighter Squadron, the top guns of America's air war in Afghanistan

by Mark Bowden

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/11/bowden.htm

Make no mistake about it, American war making is a big time industry. So pay attention then to this comprehensive explanation from Atlantic Monthly, in June 2002:

Uncle Sam Buys an Airplane

How Lockheed Martin beat Boeing for the biggest military contract in historyand how that one contract could change the way the military builds and pays for its weapons

by James Fallows

The JSF project undertook to change this. Its gamble was that a family of closely related airplanes could be different enough to meet each service's needs and yet similar enough to realize major economies of scale. Automobile and computer companies had been pulling off this feat for years: an SUV and a pickup truck appeal to different customers but use the same engine, drive train, chassis, and so on. Applying this logic to military equipment, with similar engines, instruments, and software, would be a first.

4.gif

I am reluctant to turn serious after beseeching thee to list comedic song lyrics and titles for our upcoming battle, but there are several excellent articles on the second Gulf War in the November issue of Atlantic Monthly. (Guess what I did over the Xmas holiday?) Three of these are available online.

The Atlantic Monthly / November 2002

The Fifty-first State?

Going to war with Iraq would mean shouldering all the responsibilities of an occupying power the moment victory was achieved. These would include running the economy, keeping domestic peace, and protecting Iraq's bordersand doing it all for years, or perhaps decades. Are we ready for this long-term relationship?

by James Fallows

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/11/fallows.htm

The Atlantic Monthly / November 2002 Centerpiece

The Kabul-ki Dance

Inside the cockpit with the pilots and wizzos of the 391st Fighter Squadron, the top guns of America's air war in Afghanistan

by Mark Bowden

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/11/bowden.htm

Make no mistake about it, American war making is a big time industry. So pay attention then to this comprehensive explanation from Atlantic Monthly, in June 2002:

Uncle Sam Buys an Airplane

How Lockheed Martin beat Boeing for the biggest military contract in historyand how that one contract could change the way the military builds and pays for its weapons

by James Fallows

The JSF project undertook to change this. Its gamble was that a family of closely related airplanes could be different enough to meet each service's needs and yet similar enough to realize major economies of scale. Automobile and computer companies had been pulling off this feat for years: an SUV and a pickup truck appeal to different customers but use the same engine, drive train, chassis, and so on. Applying this logic to military equipment, with similar engines, instruments, and software, would be a first.

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/06/fallows.htm

4.gif

OK,

I just watched one of the better movies ever made. (Saving Private Ryan). This movie should be shown in every Jr. High and High School in the country! Perhaps if kids grew up knowing the cost of their liberties, they would respect there freedoms more and would not be so fast to condemn there government for trying to give them and there children to be a safer, better life. Although the movie is just fiction, Im sure that it was played out for real in countless episodes that no one ever heard of. People, have some pride and work for your Country. Many people before you have. Many people have died so you can sit at your puter and whine about how bad we are and how everything is our fault. GROW UP! Most of our fallen vets are probably turning in there grave at the sound of your whining! I think it is time to not only respect our heroes but also respect ourselves!

16.gif

Having been old enough to know where I was when the Japanese bombed Peal Harbor, so WWII was a meaningful event with nothing between San Francisco and the enemy but open ocean. I have also had the opportunity to visit all the main WWII battlesites in Europe and North Africa. During my stint in helping build up the Vintage Flying Museum in Fort Worth, Texas, we video taped WWII vets to have a "living history" of individuals who lived through it. There story was a lot more like what was seen in "Saving Private Ryan" than it was in the series of John Wayne wartime propaganda-laced fare. War is not a wonderful experience... but it seems to be one that human beings are destined to repeat as long as they populate this or any other planet. Sad. 15.gif

The Vintage Flying Museum has the last B-17 "Pathfinder" still flying. The Pathfinder was the first American bomber equipped with radar and would slip into the lead of a B-17 formation just as the final bomb run would begin... and the rest of the flight would drop their bombs using the explosions of the Pathfinder's bombs as the marker for their famed Norden bombsights. The Norden bombsights were great but had one failing in the often overcast skies of Northern Europe... if you couldn't see the target you couldn't operate the bombsite. The episode shown in the "Memphis Belle" movie tells that story. Most B-17 pilots, like my old friend Tom Landry of the Dallas Cowboys, found the storyline of the Memphis Belle movie to be a bit too much. All of the events depicted happened... but to different B-17's and certainly not on the final bomb run of the Belle.

Also, the Belle wasn't the first American bomber to hit 25 missions... it just happened to be at the right place at the right time to get the war bond selling opportunity of touring the states. I got to see her then... and also in her final static resting place in Memphis. In fact, the Vintage Flying Museum's "Chuckie" was the lead B-17 of a flight of five that dropped a bomb bay load of cut flowers directly atop the folks gathered for the "Memphis Belle Memorial" dedication... now that WAS a tribute to the Norden bombsight and the skill of the pilot, Col. "Doc" Hospers who founded the Vintage Flying Museum. He renamed the B-17 "Chuckie" (his wife's nickname) as part of his plan to tell her after the fact that he just bought a four engined WWII bomber!

With all the talk of going to war with Iraq and the vitriolic path being taken by North Korea in continuing with their nuclear potential... I wonder if they might just join forces. North Korea needs the economic help that Iraqi oil money can provide... and Iraq needs the nuclear deterrent that North Korea can probably provide. It is a scary thought when applied to a couple of nations with loose cannons as heads of state. Hmmm, I wonder if they have a Bagdad/P'yongyang website with a "Music to Bomb Hope by"???

Oh, my, what's a SuperPower to do... Neville Chamberlain's memoires don't seem to have an answer. -HornEd

"(CNSNews.com) -- Law enforcement officials have confirmed to the New York Post that up to 19 men of Islamic background have illegally entered the United States in the last few days to plot a possible terror mission. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has already posted mugshots of five of the men who are wanted for questioning. However, those five and the remaining 14 are believed to have use phony ID's to enter the U.S. from Canada by way of Britain. No specific target has been determined and the motive of the men is unclear to officials. Law enforcement sources told the Post that the men are believed to be scattered through several U.S. cities, including New York with a rendezvous planned somewhere in the country on Monday. Currently, the FBI, New York Police Department, Immigration and Naturalization Services, U.S. Customs Service and Transportation Security Agency are searching for the men believed to hail from Pakistan and "surrounding countries."

Have a Happy and Safe New Year! Despite our so-called allies like Pakistan, Saudi & Canada that have lame policy for fighting terrorism.

Geez : everyone back away from the keyboards. 5.gif Go have a beer or something. I am not going to get in on this one, I can't believe that there are so many bickering people. ( Up on soapbox ) Proj : just because you have over 1000 posts, doesn't mean much. You won't win any prizes. Some people you have called down have less posts than you. Fine. They might decide to post something usefull, or they have jobs. Just because they don't post 100 times a day does not mean that their opinions are better or worse than yours. If you ask most people on this forum, most all my posts are to help out people. ( Off soapbox ) Grab a cool one, and listen to some tunes.9.gif

More of the jesters musical relief on American imperilism in the Middle East:

Lesson for Bush: Everything put together (sooner or later) Falls Apart

The music we need to sit down and talk, before the bombing begins: Armistice Day

What the Middle East has always needed: Peace like a River

What American have now after 9/11: Paranoia Blues

What to offer Bush after he bombs Baghdad, secures 10% of the worlds oil and installs another representative democracy in the Middle East: Congratulations

(All songs by Paul Simon)

Saddams answer to whether he still has weapons of mass destruction (not hamburgers and Coke): I Still Do

Bushs answer for killing innocent Iraqi women and children: Not Sorry

Theme song for pilots patroling the no-fly zones: Linger

Song to describe Osma bin Laden: Wanted

What left and right wing radicals say: I will Always

(All songs by the Cranberries)

Bushs theme song for re-election: Trust in Me

American Taliban John Linds defense: Blame it on my Youth

Bombardiers hum this as they go to work: I can See Clearly Now

White Houses reaction to Iraq protests over weapons inspections: Cry, if you want to

CIAs song to Saddam: I want You

Saddams prayer to Allah: Make it go Away

And finally, the number one song about Osma bin Laden, that every body at the CIAs Afghanistan field office is waiting for: Ive just seen a Face

(All songs performed by Holly Cole)

OK, I am bumping this topic to get the count higher - or maybe I should say that I am "prod" ing it after the crazy poster we have here!

Happy New Year everybody, hope you all spent quality time with the people who love you, have a great weekend!

yada, yada, yada, Let's change the thread...... I used to be a hippy "ya know! Let's chill and listen to a set of the Dead! Just got my speakers awhile ago and I swear you at the show! How 'bout a group hug and let's pray for no war! However if it happens let's pray for KICK ***!

Goodness,

You people are still posting on this one.

I can't let a chance for an extra post go by unused.

On a more serious note,

My grandfather was a B17 pilot in WWII.

Apperently he also flew a number of rescue missions in which he would set down in fields at night in occupied france to pick up resistance workers who had gotten a little too much interest from the germans.

Peace, Josh