Estate clean out svcs?

Bosco-d-gama

Anyone here have any experience with using an estate clean out service? My Mom resides in Arizona and is not doing well. I am the primary heir and live in Idaho and am unable to travel for sometime. She has a home chocked full of lord knows what, that will be needing liquidation. Needless to say I’ve not ever done this before and would appreciate any input/guidance. Thnx......

Sorry to hear she's not doing well.  Unfortunately, we all get exposed to that in one form or another.

Do you mean you intend to hire someone like that before you go to sort through things?

If it were me, I'd make sure that I get there, organize it....sort out what goes to various beneficiaries (the family Bible goes to cousin Sally for example) then, once there's nothing of sentimental value is when I'd let them take over.

I've never done this mine you as my two sisters were near Mom when her time came and they did the work. 

To be blunt, I don't know that I'd trust too many folks like that unless I were physically there with them through the process.  Could be way too easy for someone to think "Oh, I LOVE that (insert item)...."  and it magically disappears

In fact, years ago, I bought my mom a very pretty pearl bracelet for $500.  I bought it knowing she was getting old and would likely not wear it too much from that stage forward.....BUT....  I  bought her the nice one because (to be a bit morbid) I knew it would come back to me and I knew my wife would love it so, in a sense...I got to kill two birds with one pearl.

Except since I was never there for the process of cleaning things out and my sisters didn't know of it's existence....  it mysteriously disappeared into thin air and is gone.  Was it some of the movers that helped?  Was it someone at the nursing home?  Did they, by accident, drop it and leave it on the carpet as they closed/locked the door for the last time?

I'll never know.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Sorry to hear she's not doing well.  Unfortunately, we all get exposed to that in one form or another.

Do you mean you intend to hire someone like that before you go to sort through things?

If it were me, I'd make sure that I get there, organize it....sort out what goes to various beneficiaries (the family Bible goes to cousin Sally for example) then, once there's nothing of sentimental value is when I'd let them take over.

I've never done this mine you as my two sisters were near Mom when her time came and they did the work. 

To be blunt, I don't know that I'd trust too many folks like that unless I were physically there with them through the process.  Could be way too easy for someone to think "Oh, I LOVE that (insert item)...."  and it magically disappears

In fact, years ago, I bought my mom a very pretty pearl bracelet for $500.  I bought it knowing she was getting old and would likely not wear it too much from that stage forward.....BUT....  I  bought her the nice one because (to be a bit morbid) I knew it would come back to me and I knew my wife would love it so, in a sense...I got to kill two birds with one pearl.

Except since I was never there for the process of cleaning things out and my sisters didn't know of it's existence....  it mysteriously disappeared into thin air and is gone.  Was it some of the movers that helped?  Was it someone at the nursing home?  Did they, by accident, drop it and leave it on the carpet as they closed/locked the door for the last time?

I'll never know.

Appreciate the perspectives but........   my family has been seriously dysfunctional for sometime and the parents estranged for most of my life. This grim deed has fallen upon me more by default. I may have a brother somewhere but he’s not been part of the equation for over 50 years and cannot be located. In other words nobody knows what the estate consists of and nobody much cares. I believe there are services for this purpose that are bonded, etc. Rather than abandon the estate I’d like to see it resolved so their neighbors can get back to normal. My mom is not too popular with them or anyone for that matter. Sorry if I sound harsh but not every family is “Father’s Knows Best”. I do have concerns along the lines you mention which is why I am seeking feedback.

Just from another perspective. Sometimes dysfunctions can be resolved in times like this. Hardships can play an integral role in reconciliation. Some of our perceptions of issues from the past might be nothing more than misunderstandings that can be cleared up by finding things that shed light on what was really happening, which can be very cathartic and bring closure on the deep wounds that are created in the mind which grow with every passing year.

I know a bit about dysfunction within families and have learned a lot about the impact of reconciliation. I am sorry to hear about the situation as a whole.

• Like 1

If there's not enough value there to justify getting a local lawyer to act as your agent, the better approach might be to just hire a trash removal service and let them have at it.  Otherwise, I would think a local attorney would be a good route.  They have bar licenses and a fiduciary duty.  Plus, they know what's legal and what's not.